Newbie Growing

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by simpletoker90, Apr 3, 2010.

1. So yeah, im pretty new to the whole growing thing. Ive just been growing for the pst 6 days and they have already begun sprouting quite well, if I could say so, from dry seed.

Heres my specs:
    -Rectangular box about 1 foot in width and 2 or 3 foot in length
    -White computer paper inside the box for reflective purposes
    -2 34w light bulbs (house hold lamps) about 4-5 inches away from top of plant
    -Easy ventilation because its in my attic which gets quite hot and humid in the summer
    -I have 4 successful sprouts in old mt dew bottles rinsed out and cleaned that are about 1 foot high and the plants were transplanted in about 1 inch of extra dirt then watered
    -I have about 3 others that werent to the point of a complete sprout at day 4 but today they have
    I began dry seed in a 2 dozen egg container about 2 cm into the dirt
    -I used dirt from my backyard but I went through the dirt with a sifter to get it granulated
    -I try to water every 4-5 hours with enough water to last it that long, maybe a little bit longer just in case I forget and what-not
    -I usually keep my dark period in effect for about 2 hours during the day that way I can have lamps run all night
    -This is not any specific kind of bud, all I care about is the successful grow. My dealer gave me some good big buds that had a couple seeds in it so I decided I should start growing because he is relatively unreliable

Thats about it. All i wanted to know is: Do you think im doing a good job? Are my sprouts still okay to transplant at day 5 when the others were sprouted day 4? What kind of nutrient solution should I buy? Is there anything I am doing wrong? Is there anything you think I should be doing differently? Mind you, this is a pretty low budget and easy put-together setup.

I will be posting pics in a little bit. I would kindly appreciate you help on answering these questions for me. ^_^

Happy Smoking!

2. get some drainage for ur dirt if ur going to use it or else when you water its going to be mud

more lights 100 actual watts n 50 more per plant after that and you might want a wider box

3. Well, I am trying to keep it a low key grow. There is a guy with a medical marijuana license next door to us so there is usually a few cops around and also, i'd prefer for my mom not to find out. And she likes to rummage through our stuff, some im trying to keep it hidden from her and them. Thats the only reason I use a very small set up. ^_^

And my brother and dad have been refusing to let me research a lot of info for it and they refuse to get bigger lamps because it will make it noticeably warmer in the attic on cold days. They're pretty paranoid. --_--

4. oh lol i wouldnt grow at my parents respect thing they could get there house taken but does ur dad know about it then if he does i would be tempted 2 but ur at least going to need 100 actual watts for 1 plant

5. put them closer to the cfl
    i put mine like 1/2" -1" and the seed leaves grew braches

6. bad idea ask your parents if they say no then dontr grow it have some repect man!!!!!!!!!!

7. #7 simpletoker90, Apr 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2010
    @heli_mad and m4x: I asked my dad and he told me I could but to hide it from my mom because my mom is against ANY addictive drug, except for tylenol, benadryl, zyrtec, etc., even though its not addictive. I believe that my mom is secretly okay with it but she is just being a parent in telling us that marijuana is bad. So in other words as long as she doesn't see it laying around and what-not, she doesn't care. ^_^

@ete23 and m4x: Im probably gonna get a bigger lamp asap because running 2 of them in the same area is a hassle, especially when trying to conceal it and make it not look so obvious. I will probably end up until they flower to decide which gender they are, but I'm estimating to have only 3 successful grows. I will go out and buy a 250-400 watt lamp and 3 boxes that are 3x3x6 (length by width by volume) for the fully mature plants. Then ill cut out a square in the box and put a computer fan for ventilation attached to a 9v or just cut out a good portion of the box and put a fan in front of it. But as of right now, I only have the lamps that far away because I don't want to "burn up the plants", as my dad says. So I put em far enough away to make sure they don't burn up but close enough for them to get the light they need.

I would post pictures but they're complete skeptics on the whole posting pictures for the simple fact that there are probably people watching this website for just these kind of threads. Lol.

8. kool well at least yor farther is alowing you lots of happy crops

9. Well, I granulated the dirt (I ran it through a household sifter), so when I water it, it absorbs into the dirt and allows for the water to run easy through it to wet down enough for the roots. I believe mud wouldn't apply to me because mud is just clumped up and over-saturated dirt. So unless I poured lots of water into it constantly, I don't think ill get any mud.

But thank you for addressing that. ^_^

10. Good luck, make sure u get the lights in the right spectrum and ur gonna want a carbon filter for the smell. Look around on the forums theres tons of info here and plan ahead of time, don't want to be scrambling to filter your air once u go into flowering. Tape up ur mt dew bottles lights are very bad for roots

11. Thanks man, I appreciate the help. I don't think ill need a carbon filter though, my attic is right off my closet and my bedroom which always smell like marijuana, so idk, if it gets too horrid to where its going down stairs or the basement then ill probably get one.

Also, is it cool if I PM you if I have any further simple but unfound questions?