Newbie Grower

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by hybridrex, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Hello all, this is my first post. Recently retired from military. I plan to start growing to cure some ptsd and aches. I will probably start with royal queen med strains. Currently I have a 80x80x140 tent, a 450w led dual growth/bloom light. I plan on usinghappy frog for initial stages and transplant over to Fox Farms Ocean. A few questions, will the lighting be sufficient? Distance being about 36 inches away from the plants. What size obtained should I transplant too because I don’t want to impede too much with the rioting and growth. I plan to feed using the organics go-box. Am I missing anything for food? What fan/filter combo should use? This will be near my bedroom so the noise from the fan can’t be high. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Are the dimensions of your tent in inches or centimeters?

3. Cm, details do matter. The light is a viparspectra. I’ve been lurking and reading on different forums. I guess I’m kind of nervous about my first grow.

4. what-in-tarnation.jpg
    Why would you wanna do that ?
    The Happy Frog is the organic choice, and Ocean Forest is the 'chemical fertilizers ' version.

5. Tent and light sound fine, well suited. Soil and nutes too.

If you're growing autos, don't transplant and start in the final pot. Somewhere 1-3 gallons is usually reasonable.
    If you're growing photos, you can start in a much smaller container, from a peat pellet, a 6oz cup, half-litre pot, anything like that. Transplant when the roots have infiltrated the whole container so you can tip the plant out pretty cleanly - depending on what you start with that could be a week after planting or a couple of weeks, and depending on the conditions and the genetics the plant could be 2 inches or 10 inches tall when you need to transplant.

Cannabis is petty much like any plant, although specifically it likes aerated well-drained soil and not too much nitrogen, so any thing you read for general gardening like transplanting, cutting, pest control, is useful general advice.

I'm not going to recommend a fan specifically, but you don't need much more than about 65 cu.ft/min or 110m3/h for your tent size. You will be unlikely to get a cheap deal on a good quiet fan though, you will need to source that from a proper supplier or at least one that is made by a good manufacturer, not as part of a kit on ebay. Although people do recommend branded carbon filters for length of use, I've always been happy with whatever from ebay and I spend the money on the fan.

6. My local hydro shop recommended it. His reasoning was that the Fox Farms Ocean would be to hot for the seedlings.

7. Thank you sir. I’m probably doing to do the auto, atleast until I get a grow or two under my belt. Thanks for the advice on the fan, I was looking at the amazon kits. I look harder and find a quality one.

8. If you plan on doing multiple plants at once, you may want to grab a second led. Also, if your planning on doing the auto first, for experience, I would suggest doing one of the photo strains instead. With the photo, if any problems come up, you can keep it in veg untill you get everything in line. And then flower when it's healthy. Whereas with the auto, if problems come up, it may start flowering on its own while unhealthy and could affect overall quality and yield

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. #9 hybridrex, Dec 23, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    What is a photo strain? Figured it out, the search feature here is great.

10. Haha sorry I figured if you knew what an auto was, you'd know what a photo was.

11. Yeah, just took me a search. Never heard it named that, but I’m probably the newest noobie here. Learned something and plan to learn a lot more.

So you recommend so photos. Do you recommend strictly feminized or the other “normal” style? Any certain strain that is more forgiving?

12. I don't have experience with anything but bagseeds. I'm a newbie too haha I'm on my third grow

13. You’re three grows ahead of me.

14. go with feminized, since you're not breeding, you don't want males, "regular" means you'll get some female and some male seeds.. And yeah, autos are harder, less forgiving, I had 2 autos and a photo on my first grow, stunted all 3 early on, autos got 9" tall and produced 1/2 oz and 1 oz, photo recovered and vegged extra long and is now about 3 feet tall and very healthy in her 3rd week of flower.

15. Jon, thank you much brother. I’ll do some feminized and post some pics. I plan on starting New Years. I’m going to order another lite and get some rooter plugs to go along with the 2 bowl method I was reading about to spout the seeds!

Thank you all.