newbie grow room help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by dexter420, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Hey guys, i plan on having a small grow room in my closet with 2 plants. Im want to run a 400w HPS lamp. Should i line the insides of the closet with some kind of insulation and or Reflective material to enhance the instesity of the light? Any recommendations would help

Thanks

2. Mylar is where it's at if you want efficiency... For a cheaper budget, use mate white vinyl... Most hydro shops stock both products, the vinyl usually has a black backing that prevents fungal growth.

Also, for a 400 watt light, I'd say you should have 4-6 plants, depending on their size.

3. thanks for the info. For 2 plants what wattage would you reccomend?250w?

4. It really depends on their size and how much you want off of one.

5. well for general rule of thumb what would be the best wattage for 2 3-6 foot plants

6. 6 foot tall plants are extremely hard to grow indoors... Generally, indoors, 3 feet tall is about as tall as you want your plants to get.

But as a general guideline, for plants that are around 2.5 feet when you harvest them will yield about a half ounce to an ounce a plant.

7. hey dex heavy aluminum foil is cheap line everything in closet, even your floor.
    then get a small fan just for venting heat out of your closet. from your light and ballast. remember plants luv lights close. keep temp 70 78 farenht. stick with hps the whole way , just green 20 4 then flower 12 12 make sure u feed them mothers is some fine stuff. one more thing tastey things come from tastey dirt:smoke:

8. HPS and HID are one in the same ;) .... You meant HPS(flowering) and MH(veg), both are types of HID. No problem, that's why I'm on these forums :p

That should be perfect for your first... And also let me congratulate you on choosing HID to start with, most people go with CFLs to start. In my opinion, it's far easier to start with HID lighting, plus once you grow HID, you never want to go back to CFLs :p........ Floros do have their place though, they are better suited for clones and moms imho

But if you do use HID lighting, you'll need to make sure you have intake/exhaust fans.

My one criticism about that kit is the fact that they use a conversion bulb, these don't have as high lumen output as their non-conversion counter parts... If you can afford it, go with a digital ballast, they can handle both bulbs and you won't lose any lumens.

9. No, just No... Aluminum foil has been found time and time again to be one of the worst reflectors... Mate white is far superior.

As for lights... The advice you gave is wrong, use MH for veg and HPS for flowering... And as for being close, you want to keep lights as close as you can without them burning your plants, just by putting your hand where your plants are should give you a good idea. Also, if you can, don't have your ballast in the same area as your plants, ballasts can easily warm up a small space.

P.S. Welcome to grasscity, beware who you take advice from.

10. thanks for the info guys, when my seeds sprout and the youngsters are under the MH 24/7 how far away should the light remain from the plants? Ive heard that plants like The MH to be further away than CFL do to the heat. Any reccomendations?Thanks for all the info, you guys rock!:)