Newbie First Grow Questions! Help Me Out? :D

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by AjP420, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Hello Grasscity! this is officially my first thread, and have been a grasscity browser for years now, just got to making an account and hoping to help serve canna-community!

i have a few questions I hope maybe someone can answer and help guide me in the right direction.

Question #1) I know it is VERY VERY late in the season to start a grow, but i am in the process of ordering some seeds from Attitude Seed Bank within the week, being it is a very VERY hot summer here in Pittsburgh, would it be too late to start to grow a fast finishing autoflower strain? I am not very concerned about the yield, 15 grams or less would be PLENTY! :smoke:

Question #2) Are these seeds im ordering good?

Royal Queen Seeds Royal Dwarf Autoflowering
    Feminized Cannabis Seeds - 1 seed
    $8.52

Advanced Seeds Low Girl
    Feminized Cannabis Seeds - 3 seeds
    $37.21

Bomb Seeds Big Bomb
    Regular Cannabis Seeds - 10 seeds
    $29.32

FEMINIZED UFO #1 Dinafem Seeds White Widow AUTO

FEMINIZED UFO #2 Reserva Privada Kandy Kush

Dinafem Seeds Blue Widow

2 FEM Seeds Summer Special

^^ All of the goodies i will be recieving from Attitude!

Question #3) based on my stoned imagination, is is possible to grow a mini plant? one such that i will plant in a container much smaller than it is intended to be planted in and have a TINY yield indoors around 5g? (heard something that if you grow in a small container your plant will be tiny and flower early) this would be perfect for me over the winter to grow stealithy with other plants of mine in a grow box i made (4 6500k CFL's and one 75 watt Fiet Plant light)

Question #4) for Autoflowering strains, is it okay to plant in a 5 gallon bucket with mulch on the bottom and holes on bottom/ and on the sides for drainage? i am using 20-20-20 fert for now and some 10-30-10 (?) for flowering and Garden Magic Potting Soil (from the hardware store i work at) with a generous amount of Perlite in it. (compacts well but breaks apart easily when poked) i bought a PH tester (a little tube with a capsule of powder in it you dump in then add a small chunk of dirt and water and shake up) and it came out with a color in between the 7.0 PH level and the 6.0 PH level, which i am guessing is in the range of good PH for the good 'ol Cannabis.

Question #5) I purchaced those 10 Big Bomb seeds in hope of some mals and females i can get to do their thang and make some seeds with to avoid having to buy too many more seeds in the future, is this too hopefull in the status of my newbie growing position?

Help out an aspiring grower! Thanks Much, and Smoke Much!! :smoke::smoking::gc_rocks::bongin:

2. 1. I don't know much about auto's, but since they finish from seed in 70-80 days, I think you'll be alright. Some non auto's end in October anyways.

2. Sure. Picking seeds is like picking a car color. For the most part, it's all about preference, but you'll be happy with whatever you chose.

3. You could grow in 1 gallon pots. Although, with the right conditions (HID and good genetics) you can pull an ounce with non-autos. Check out the micro grow forum for reference.

4. Skip the mulch, and just put holes in the bottom. You'll still want a PH pen to test your water when you add nutrients. You can get one on Amazon for around 20 bucks that will work for you. It's a MUST have. It's as important as lights and soil in my opinion.

5. There's a lot more to breeding than simply allowing all of them to breed together, but it would definitely make seeds. It'd be much wiser to read up on breeding, which there is a forum for on this board, and pick the best male and best female. From there, you don't even need to seed the whole plant, just a branch. It's too late in the season to start those in my opinion. Although, you could simply do that over the winter in your grow box. Having limited room may make it more difficult to do good breeding, but it is possible.

Good luck my friend!

3. #3 zippy657, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2012
    1. no youre boned for outdoor if you havent planted or even ordered yet.

2. its all good all the time.

3. ya its possible... not gonna be very good though. seems like it would work 'till you try it. smallest mature reasonable yielding plants finish about 16 - 18 inches. one plant of this size is as small as a grow gets more or less. you can screen stuff up and trade height for width, but the principle is the same. if you want to do this, and i agree its a good idea if you are just starting, be aware you need at least 3 feet of grow height for your pot, plant, and lights to fit, and 1 x 1 ft floor space minimum. This is minimal, and you will likely realize you are being rediculous and just get/build a 5 ft cabinet like everyone always, always does.

4)WTF?? thats a lot of stuff but im not sure i see a question... buy fox farm stuff. makes life easy. Or read up on what you are doing if you are gonna hand pick everything.

5) Making seeds is easy. On a small scale especially. plant two at a time and harvest pollen/make clones if you get either 2 males or 2 females respectively then plant 2 more till you get the opposite... polinate and wait out the flower period completely erring on the late side to insure the seeds reach fruition. There really isnt anything more to it if they are all the same strain esp from the same breeder in the same pack. any 2 you cross will hold true to the strain. pick the best ones if you have the luxury of playing the numbers game.

4. WOW!! Thank you SO MUCH what a fast and quality response! you cleared up ALOT of stuff for me, and about that PH tester, we have one at my work that has been sitting in a drawer for 2 years and they would be more than happy to let me have that for under 10$, electronic and everything! I was also planning to do the breeding next year and i have a HUGE spot with ALOT of sunlight (morning and afternoon) around a 1/4 size of a football field, going to do most grows there. i will keep you posted with my Micro grow and my Auto grow untill the end! thanks much again + rep if i can figure out how to do it lol. stay high!:smoke:

5. thanks man! more good information! always can depend on grasscity to pull thu;D love the quick responces and all, + rep if i can figure it out:D thanks and my indoor chamber is 3x3 floor space and 4 1/2 ft tall, i will get pictures up tommorow, too baked and tired for tonight, Stay High! :bongin:

6. AJ, continuing ohspy's already-good info,
    1- with no early frost you're probably going to be OK
    2- What ohspy sez... unless it's called shit turd it's probably going to exceed expectations (NOW watch, someone will name a killer strain after that....).
    3- Search the forum here for bonsai grows, it can be done. The small pot won't make it flower earlier, or quicker, but it WILL stunt the plant and help keep it smaller.
    But better to spend your time on a small microgrow SCROG arrangement. A one or two plant SCROG with 150W or so of CFL's will make enough buds to make you smile before winter passes. With luck, a couple of ounces is not out of reach. ESPECIALLY if you look at bubble buckets to hold the plants (20 qt. rubbermaid, 6" net pot, a little Hydroton, good nute starter kit, aquarium air pump & 12" air stones).
    4. Yep.
    5. Yep, growing to make beans is not terribly difficult, but you need to get some basics and timing behind you. Get comfortable sexing the plants. Learn how to take cuttings and hold them, then use them as clone mothers or next-round veg for next crop. Keeping male clones makes it much easier to later do a controlled pollination of a selected female clone you've held just for that purpose.
    This is a very good use of microgrow arrangements, where you put a freshly rooted female clone into 12/12 after just a week or two of veg, like maybe 4 nodes high, then pollinate it with a male treated similarly. You can actually do this with two 23W CFL's (one for each plant) and a closet corner.

Now that I think about it, a great winter learning experience would be to pop four of your Big Bomb seeds for a winter indoor learning experiment, and refrigerate the other 6 for spring. Out of 4, worst case, all males, experiment fails. But chances are you'll get 3-1 or 2-2 male/female, which is enough to learn to take cuttings and hold them & maybe even try a run at making some beans from the results.

BTW, you may already know this, but don't waste time taking cuttings from auto-flowers. Even if they root, they flower & die at the same time the parent finished. Waste of time.

OK, your homework assignment, by next spring - SCROG, clones, how-to-sex, and 2 ounces of smoke. Extra credit if you make beans. I bet you can do it.

Bestaluck to ya.

7. You can add a rep for any post by clicking the "justice scale" in the top right corner of each post. It's in the dark colored bar between the post # & "Report Post" icon.
    Don't think GC tracks these anymore, but people still like getting them.
    I'm saving mine for a pair of night vision goggles.

8. figured it out! thanks:D

9. thanks much to you Olde, very informative information! i will be doing the homewor, and will start my auto's as soon as i get them! as i mentioned before, im putting up some pictures of my grow box, and will keep everyone here informed on my grows! thanks again, Stay High! :bongin:

10. and on a second note, has it ever been done growing Mary upside-down, like the topsy turvy tomato planter thing? even if it were possible i wouldnt want to ttry it, but the idea of it made me curious

11. Yeah, it's been done kinda sorta... look in High Times, they used to advertise this motorized cylindrical contraption with lights suspended through the center, and all the plants on the outer portion / wall of the cylinder. It rotated the plants around the light. I didn't buy one:D

Hmmm, bet the plant would auto-LST itself if grown upside down in that tomato turdy thingy.

Maybe a thread for weird grows people got to work???
    Anyone?
    Mine was in a tree.

12. :0 THATS INSANE!!!!! do you have any pics?

13. Sorry for the delayed reply, took a long weekend break from the forums to do some real work;)
    No pics, sorry, my attempt was many, many years ago when I was still growing outside & some bastard had found my crop early in the year. Must have been a stupid focker because they took them while they were still veg-ing. I read about the technique somewhere & decided to try it. It was cool but frankly, quite a pain in the ass for a couple of plants.
    If you want to try it next year, just find the biggest hanging basket you can - the types those huge ferns come in is what I used. Find a tree with a good sunny southern exposure. Get some OD parachute cord & a rock, and throw it over a limb as high as you can. Tie it to the basket & raise it up. I actually had to climb the tree to tie mine up so no one would see the cord.
    I had to top the thing several times before it started budding, and watering was always a PITA. I finally started putting gallon milk jugs filled with water in the basket - one hole in the lid just to trickle out slowly.
    Toughest grow I ever did, but the memory is payback!!!

14. funny you mention that, the local Big Lots had them on closeout and we had the same thoughts

hmmmm...

15. wanna give it a shot for science ;D

16. kinda... I wonder if the nugs would be extra dank hanging upside down :eek:

17. No, but you'll be able to tell if she's wearing panties ... or NOT!!!

18. Hey, anything for science, go for it!!!! I've seen horizontal grows along fences that turned out amazing. Upside down, why not? Once the limbs grow past the perimeter of the container & start going vertical anything could happen!
    If you don't get early frosts it might even have time to finish if you start now.
    Bestaluck to ya.

19. thanks! i have some bagseeds i germinated, still waiting for them to sprout out of the soil, if any are males. im going to actually use those as a "dry run" for it (to see if they grow larger, sturdier, branch out more vs one bigass main cola etc etc).

Also, on a side note, if i hade a full grown male plant could i harvest it and make any amount of hash? I can make bho hash, or iso hash, and was wondering this.