Newbie Closet Set Up

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by B-Ryan, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Hello everyone : ) Just started! I have 2 seedlings in Dixie cups that sprouted 4/20. Initially had them under an incandescent light for a few days, then switched to a single 2ft T5 Sunblaze 24w bulb.
    Since my seeds germinated and had a long tap root I hurried to get some miracle grow so that's my medium. See pic for soil content. I know it's not the best but my seedling are going. One of them had a delayed sprout, and the top of the capsule seemed fused shut as the sides were open and I could see a few tiny leaves just trying to break out so I gently cracked the top open, now surprisingly it bounced back and it's leaves are fatter than the other one which sprouted days earlier.
    I now have a T5 with 4, 4ft bulbs putting out 20,000 lumens. As you can see I have the seedlings 4" under the bulbs. I've haven't been giving them any nutrients just a little worm tea once every couple days.
    I just bought this other plant yesterday, it's a clone called Blue girl scout cookies. The top leaves are approx 3" under the bulbs. Not sure about the soil, but the guy said he used veg + bloom. Smells very minty and a lil dank too.
    I have those Tupperwares of water there too increase humidity. With the closet door closed, I'm running about 73 with about 50% humidity. I've seen so many different "normal" ranges of temp and humidity numbers so I'm trying to find out which is best. Higher humidity for vegging and lower for flowering is what I've read. What are the numbers? And temp ranges?
    I plan on using this closet set up to get about 4 plants vegging around 2ft tall, then planting a few of them in backyard soil and a few in 3-5 gallon pots outside (have a few more seeds on the way and some FFOF ready to go for them). Mainly Indica for personal use for insomnia so I'm not concerned about yield as I only need a few hits a night.
    Is my lighting set up and distance ok? I have them on an 18-6 right now. I'm not using the original 2ft T5 fixture because the 4x4 I have going now seems like more than enough but I should I be using it on the side or something? Or just sell it? Also is that where I'm supposed to put the temp sensor? I plan on just adding more books on the sides to increase light height as the plants grow. Don't want to hang it, I don't want to risk anything falling while I'm gone.
    Appreciate any advice : )

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. The miracle grow for seedlings I have them in. When they get too big for the cups can I transplant them straight into a large pot with FFOF soil ?

Attached Files:

3. Looks legit. You know what you're doing!

Sent from my XT1080 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. It will def grow plants

All that added lights, high end nutrients,high end soil, mylar, basically forking out a ton of money for that will honestly just increase yield, but aren't required for growing. You will always get back what you put in on your first grow. 

5. Thanks, yea I'm not too concerned with yield, more with quality tho.
    Anyone know if my distance is ok? What about temps?

6. Compared to what??? LOL

Sent from my DROID4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

7. When your cotelydons turn yellow that early they're not getting enough nutrients from the soil. Mine sprouted on the 16th and my cotelydons are still lush and green. That big plant looks like shit IMO, stretched all to hell. (Light too far away) def look into LST for future grows.

8. Lol sorry, just saw it's a clone.. I'd def try to LST it tho. Really tall and lanky, not good for bud sites.

9. Interesting. I got it from some random dude. Dang yours look like bushes! Yea I've been reading up it, gotta watch a few videos. Well I now have them about an inch away from the bulb. The guy said he used a MH with veg+ bloom the whole grow. I have them under T5 4, 4ft bulbs like this. Will that be enough? How do they look . .

10. Today

Attached Files:

11. Update: it's been 10 days since last post and the Blue Girl Scout Cookies clone went through some Mag deficiency plus that so cal heat wave didn't help. She's doing so much better now. I been spraying it down with 2% Epsom salts solution twice a day, and transplanted to a 5 gallon pot. Glad I did because the roots were swirling around the old pot. Used 40% Happy Frog 40% Ocean Forest 20% perlite with some dolomite lime. Lots of healthy new foliage. The leaves were becoming purple before. It's loving the new soil. See pics showing new pot and green healthy top foliage.
    The Hindu and Bubba kush seedlings are doing well. They've exploded in the last 10 days compared to the previous pics. Surprised that miracle grow soil is working this well. Going to transplant them into bigger pots soon. See pics. I think they're on the 4th node now. Just about time for lst. I've read it's time to transplant from Dixie cups when they're about 6" tall. We'll see

Attached Files:

12. Update: Here is the Hindu Kush now. What a journey from seed. About 5ft tall now. I've had a problem with my Blue Girl Scout Cookies either rotting, our drying out. The bud sites turned light brown. This plant is starting to have the same browning. Anyone have an idea what this could be? I put it into flowering about a month and a half ago. Did I miss harvest and the buds are just dying out or what? Appreciate the help . .

Attached Files:

13. Bump

14. Just realized my female is actually a hermi. Anyone know what this light browning ??

15. looks like typical bud rot.

16. Why was it rotting

17. #17 noizviolation, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2014
    You grew it you tell us! Lol. No seriously though, moisture, due to lack of proper ventilation and circulation. Rain and humidity if outside.

18. My bet is humidity, poor ventilation albeit outdoors. Cut it out fast and dry it. too bad she looks nice