Newbie, advice??

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by MoneeyTrees, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Hello!
    Im a definite newbie and would love some advice with what I got. :D
    I recently lost 4 great genetic genes from a problem I ran into, thinking I could just start off with no problems wasting money and time. I germinated all seeds and the all popped within 5 days. I then transferred to rockwool and all goes wrong.
    They never [SIZE=2]sprouting. [SIZE=2]Over 10 days past so i took a look inside the rockwool to see none of the seeds h[SIZE=2]ad progressed withi[SIZE=2]n[SIZE=2] that time also they [SIZE=2]where a rusty[SIZE=2] [SIZE=2]orange color in the [SIZE=2]open[SIZE=2]ing.
    [SIZE=2][SIZE=2]Drowned?? Maybe
    [SIZE=2]they never seemed to wet to me.

[COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2]Im now starting str[SIZE=2]aight in dwc no germinating. only one seed tho
    [SIZE=2]got ph at 5.7 i[SIZE=2]n bucket,
    [SIZE=2]and so[SIZE=2]aked rockwool for 24 hrs in ph 5.7 aswell
    [SIZE=2]i shook off excess water in rockwool and it seemed pretty light to me also dripped a little bit of ph water over it in[SIZE=2] th[SIZE=2]e dwc.
    [SIZE=2]have it [SIZE=2]under a 600 watt mh light.
    [SIZE=2]thats [SIZE=2]all i got for now. any comments[SIZE=2], ideas, or advice?
    [SIZE=2]please[SIZE=2]. [SIZE=2]thank you :wave:[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

2. woah and I just checked the ppm of my ph water in the bucket and it ran 600-700.
    I have not put any nutes

3. Watch the temp too for sprouts and seedlings especially

4. Totally normal

My city water is 800ppm outta the tap.

5. I personally hate rockwool with a passion, I use jiffy peat pellets(obviously peat moss) and have NEVER had a problem cloning/seeding.

Your ppm water is high, mine city is about 350 but I use r/o water ~0ppm. I'd recommend using distilled water from the store to get through the seedling stage then use tap. It will only take maybe a gallon of water per plant.

6. #6 Deca1805, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2013
    I don't like rock wool. Started off using it, still use it after clones rooted in bubble cloner, but I jut don't like to depend on it as a nice "developing" environment. Roots seem to rot soon after emerging, and seeds just get too wet or dry. Anything seems to work better [for me] than rock wool, so I would suggest you try any other medium and personally would recommend rapid rooters with either a heat pad or a light that will keep the rr a bit warm.
    My tap water is at 150, and clones/seedlings don't mind it, maybe try to get your hands on better water. RO water I heard is very good.

You don't need 600wtts to start. 1 it burns the leaves if too close 2 uses a lot of power. If your ballast can be dimmed do so, or just a fluo to start.

Good luck.

7. im going to buy the distilled water as soon as possible.
    Dang, i dont have any fluo. what else can i use?

8. #8 CL4P-TP, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2013
    Huh? Holy shit batman! Thought well water the was the worst for ppms. Does it go down if you let it sit?

Mine is @ 200 from the well. Luckily it's mostly Calcium and Magnesium :D

OP, I too dislike rockwool. Have a look into rapid rooters.

9. normal. that's a high normal. mine is 24ppm outta tap. no well water tho. that sucks. gotta maintain the basics if you wanna grow successfully. water, light, nutrients. i'm sure you'll be fine once you get some bottled water. get a couple cfls and a few adapters so you can plug them into an extension cord. that will suffice for now