Newb nute burn? Wavy leaves, yellowing tips (pics)

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by the big smoke, Aug 8, 2009.

1. #1 the big smoke, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2009
    What type of medium; soil or hydro? Hydro, 5g bucket DWC (~4g reservoir)
    What brand and type of soil? plant is in 3" grodan cube buried in new hydroton in 6" net pot.
    Indoors or outdoors? Indoor closet grow, walls & floor lined with white plastic
    What strain? AK-47 x Purple Kush F1
    How old are the plants? Seedling phase, sprouted 27 July (12 days)
    What type of lights and how many watts? CFL 6500k 42w x3 (126w)
    How far from the lights? 4-6"
    What is your watering frequency and source of water? I use distilled water to which I added (per gal.) 7 ml Pure Blend Pro Grow, 10 ml Cal-Mag Plus, 5 ml cannazym. Then adjusted pH to 5.0 (orange), which has crept up (in 2 days!) to ~6.0 (yellow with a tinge of orange).
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK? See above. Plant was put in bucket two days ago for first time. I noticed spotting last night, yellowing yesterday.
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro? I don't know ppm, and I use a pH drop kit, not a digital meter (working on both issues). But today's pH was ~6.0, probably more like 5.9 if I can trust my drop test.
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? 85-89F, 60-70% hum
    What size pots? 6" net pot, should have used smaller for a deeper reservoir of water underneath the pot.
    Any bugs? Look real close. Not that I can see, but I once saw a mosquito in the grow space, which was weird. I kilt it.
    Any other pertinent info? I am a first time grower, this is my first seedling that I haven't killed due to my own newb mistakes, hopefully most of which have been corrected. My grow journal is here.

Here's the pics. I noticed yesterday that the lowest (oldest) set of fan leaves had begun to yellow around the tips and edges (as far as 1/2 centimeter in around the edge, mostly toward the tips), with faint brownish spots visible as well under the macro camera lens. These leaves have always been a little weird shaped, like they are wavy/warped, something I attributed to my lack of knowledge about how marijuana plants look as they are growing, etc. But now I am beginning to wonder if it is also a symptom of what is causing the yellowing tips and brownish spots. The last picture is a different seedling that is dying with similar symptoms; perhaps it will help to identify the problem.

Attached Files:

2. It does look like the PH has been fluctuating. Did u rinse ur balls before use? If not, that and small rez can contribute to the up & down of the pH. Twisted leaves is a sure sign of the PH fluctuating up & down,eventually leading to nute burn:smoking:

3. Thanks for the quick response, TBuds.

I checked pH just now and it looks like a spot on 6.0 (yellow) with no orange or green. Just typing that up made me feel silly enough to order a pH meter and get this under control.

Once I get the pH ~5-5.5, this yellowing and these brown spots will stop advancing, correct? The twisted leaves will remain twisted, but new leaves will be normal?

4. Rinse your balls before use? I may be guilty...

5. I rinse my balls daily!!!!!!!

6. I rinse my balls to get the red out.

7. Some of my plants look like that too only im using soil I have no idea what the problem could be maybe over fertilizing???