Newb needs help

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by CLouDN1nE, Nov 19, 2007.

1. OK, so here’s the deal..
    Long time pot smoker, first time pot grower. I'm going threw some financial difficulties and decided I should grow some pot. A friend of mine owns a self storage business an said I could use a unit or two to grow in there. The units are around about 9feet in length an about 4-4 1/2 feet in width. What I’m aiming for is around 30-50pounds with almost everything automatic. (Timers on lights, food, water) How many plants would I need to get this much yield, and do I even have enough room to make this happen? (Read somewhere that an average mature plant can hold from 1-2.2 pounds)
    Also any ideas on building a grow station in a completely seal off storage unit? What would I need an around how much would I need to invest to get things rolling?

Sorry if this is posted in wrong section, wasnt sure if I should put it in indoors or absolute beg.

2. wow 30-50 pounds is ALOT of pot...

yes plants can yield up to 2 pounds, but your likely not going to get that the first time you try... a 1000w bulb will do about 8 plants effectively... i would say you would have to grow at least 100 plants to get that kind of yield you are expecting... so you would need like 12 1000w lights...

your aiming WAY to high... just get it started and you'll learn everything you need to know... the first goal of your first grow shouldnt be how much you yield, it should just be learning the process so next time you grow you can concentrate more on the finer details

3. the way to work, imho, is from the wattage/space you have. 1g/watt is fair estimate, so 50lb=23kW I don't know how much it would cost, but just designing that setup is a daunting task, either you need to spend lots of time researching, or like a friend of mine, find an expert who can design/build/operate it for you. I would start small (1 or 2 600/1000), learn how to setup and grow, then use the results to get a bigger grow together.

4. So the only real expensive thing is the light? And you guys are suggesting 8plants total? or 8 plants per storage room? i though i could fit at least like 15-20 into one room...

5. you probably could, you have to remember though that cramming more plants in doesnt necessarily mean a higher yield, they need space and light, so if theyr all bunched up they will yield less per plant. The lights will be expensive yes, but if you factor in everything else you need it's gona add up bigtime. id listen to these guys if i were you, dont go all out on the first one you could come a cropper ;) if i were you i would do the first grow in just one of those storage boxes with 4 1000 watt lights, your gona need somewhere to vent the heat, and suck in fresh air, and you're also gona wana make sure that box is 100% lightproof! if i were you id mylar up the whole of the inside leaving no cracks or gaps just to be sure. also, go with clones if you can, speeds up the whole process and less mistakes to make (i.e sexing if you were going wit seed) thats all i can think of right now, sorry for the crappy formatting lol,

goodluck

AA

6. Cant i just open the door for a like a couple minutes to vent it out? an how would you suggest i set up this grow station, preferably to hold as many plants as possible...

also no clones around to buy

7. Bubbleponic systems 6 planters. Should be able to get over 30, no problem.

8. If you want to grow 30-50 lbs, you are going to need 3,000 - 5,000+ watts. Figure you can grow 10 plants per 1000W. Even if you got 1 lb per plant (don't count on it your first time), you would need at least 30-50 plants and 3-5 1,000W grow lights. The energy consumption is going to be your first problem. Gonna be crazy expensive.

Secondly, you said you are on a tight budget. Any idea what a 1,000 W HID costs? Probably between $300 & $500 per light depending on quality. Then, you have to vent each light so that you don't overheat.

I would count on spending between $1,200 - $2,000 just on lighting. Does this sound like a budget you can live with?

9. No, with the kind of wattage you are going to need, you are going to need some serious ventilation. It's not just about fresh air, it is about heat also.

10. First grow right? I would recommend you go with soil. Much simpler that hydro. With the numbers of plants you are going to have going it could get out of control quickly. Soil is much more forgiving for novice growers.

If space is a huge concern, it shouldn't be with that space, use square pots. That way you won't waste all the space that circle pots do.

Is this area light proof? Or, can it easily be made lightproof?

11. this is just fucking retarded no goddamn way you're gong to get 30-50 lbs you need to start off small or you mine as well just call the cops and tell them to pick up your dumb ass I mean no offense but dude this kind of thing in a storage facility is STUPID ....are these air conditioned facilities or the regular kind? I mean who pays for the electricity used.....are there even electrical outlets in storage facilities......how would you care for them how would you supply that much nutes/water.....I mean come on use some common goddamn sense and don't go to prison would be my suggestion

12. My budget is 5grand...

An for the other person who wanted to be a dick, my friend owns the place, it doesnt matter how much energy i use, he wont report me.

Square pots you mean just have them all in their own pots once they get mature?

13. easily lihgt prooff

if i spel things wrong its ca use im drunk