Newb needs help w/ bubble hash

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by quentonium, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Finally getting back into growing after many years; made it to the beginnings of flowing before I was forced to leave the mmj program, but now I'm back.

I plan on only making bubble for my needs (making solely green dragon but possibly edibles), and I have a few questions for the experts:

1) because we're in the tropics with constant high temps and humidity and I'm I worried that my final product will likely mold (has happened with numerous other plant based projects I've worked with). As such, I'm pretty set planning on fresh freezing my entire harvest(s) to convert to bubble. After making the bubble, can I freeze immediately, or do I need to dry? Again, only planning on using my goods for tinctures and Nothing else

2) read an interesting article on using the instant pot for decarb. Can this technique be used for bubble as well? And if so, can I decarb fresh frozen or defrosted bubble?

4) any recommended techniques for drying bubble in warm, humid places that doesn't involve investing in a dehumidifier and temperature control? Originally considered running it through the lowest temp in my food dehydrator to dry it out, but heard this was a no-no.

New to all of this, so any help is greatly appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cut the buds off and freeze, or freeze and cut the buds off. Then just run the frozen buds and use lots of ice in your bucket.

Set it up in layers. You'll want to go out and buy a 20lb bag of ice as a start (kinda hard to put in a freezer if your freezer is full, so I just buy when I'm ready) and if you plan on doing more than a few runs you'll need more. A few runs (2-3) for me takes 40-60min.

Add ice first, and then bags, and then ice in bags, then frozen buds, then more ice on top of buds, so you have an ice sandwich with the buds in the middle, as well as some ice under all the bags. Then add the water. Use a spatula and stir it like your stirring a big pot of spaghetti, and continuously. Add ice as it melts. The ice will act like little hard collisions on the frozen buds as you stir, and the trichs if kept frozen will break off much easier. Do this for 15min to get most all of the trichs, and then pull the bags and drain the bags. If you drain in stages (5min, 10min, 15min) your hash will have grades of micron size with the shortest time stirring as the purest and degrading with time. You want to use a 45micron bag as your base, this is the worst of the 3 grades but can be good too sometimes, I typically use for edibles or QWISO, then 90micron next, this is typically your top grade primo and super sticky, then the 120 micron, this is a close second to the 90micron imo, its very good stuff, then you want to use a 160micron to catch all the waste and ice.

Then spray the bags sides with a little water as they drain and wash the hash to the center of the bags. After its almost drained completely but not quite, scrape it up with a scoop or tbl spoon. You want it to have a little bit of water or it'll get super sticky and be hard to scoop. Then I dump onto the little square drying screen, or I've went straight to parchment paper too, which is resting on top of a thick sheet of cardboard. The water soaks though the drying screen and/or the parchment paper and the cardboard acts like a sponge. If I'm using the drying screen I use the razor blades to "chop it up" and once it seems like it's lost enough moisture to the point that when I transfer over to the (parchment + cardboard), the parchment doesnt get too soaked. Then I continue chopping it up to let it equally dry. I chop every 10min or so at first, with the time interval between chopings increasing as the hash dries. You just don't want it clumping (clumping happens more so at the begining, this is when you want to be most vigilant) or you'll not be able to chop and it won't all dry at the same rate. The 90 and 120 are going to be sticky (mostly 90) but just keep working with them. You can slide the parchment onto new cardboard if needed. They'll dry out eventually and then I put it in silicon storage containers. I don't press it together, I just keep it as a kinda dry powder, it's kinda like amber colored transclucent minuture future dots ice cream lol, if you add pressure it becomes sticky but I don't do that typically. This is just what I do. Fresh frozen makes the BEST bubble hash. If you dry it, you lose some of the terps. Fresh frozen smells like the plant grew.

Don't heat it. Keep it cool. You decarboxilate bubble when you smoke it. If you're high humidity it'll take longer to dry and more chopping but should still work.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for the response and tek, CRP. Once I get growing, I'm likely gonna pick up the bubble washing machine to avoid having to stir.

Any idea on how to avoid contamination while allowing to dry? I live next to a forest, so I'm constantly having problems with mold and other fungi contaminating other projects if I don't dry them quickly; hence why I considered using a dehydrator to quick dry (not planning on doing that anymore).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sure, give it a shot. I'd still chop periodically. As long as you're under ~120°F (some cannibinoids start vaporizing quickly at ~125°F), you should be ok. If it has a fan it could blow it all over the place. I think some people freeze it and then re-grate it with the fine part of the cheese grater. I don't know much about that method so you'd have to Google it. It might help dry it by freezing but you'd have to look into it.

Screenshot_2020-02-07-01-37-10~2.png
    Components of Cannabis Terpenes Boiling Points and Effects - VaporizerTemp

• Like Like x 1

5. Appreciate the info!

I was planning on dehydration at no higher than 95, as I'm familiar with anything over 110-115F vaporizing off beneficials for other plants I dehydrate. Definitely gonna give it a shot and see how it turns out.

Thanks again for your input

• Like Like x 1