New Zealanders: Advice please?

Discussion in 'General' started by JaykeSucks, Oct 31, 2011.

1. At the end of next year, I'm planning on moving from Australia over to New Zealand to study and live. Problem is, I'm not sure where to go. I'm mostly interested in Hamilton (Waikato Uni) or Dunedin (Otago Uni).
    Any on here from either of those places/somewhere else in NZ?
    Basically, where should I move and why?

Cheers!

2. Don't go to Hamilton, it is a gummo shit hole.

Dunedin has quite a 'student atmosphere', and a huge percentage of Dunedin's citizens are students of the university. Certain streets are just lined with houses that have been given themes/decorations by students who occupy them. As far as I know, you spend your first year in a dorm situation, and then move into a house with friends you find. I hear a lot of good things about it, life changing experience etc.. Only downside for you might be that it's really cold, and a huge contrast to what you're used to, being Australian.

3. #3 JaykeSucks, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2011
    Nah one of the main reasons I'm moving over is for the cold actually, way too hot over here for me.
    Anywhere else good? Palmerston North is an option too, as is Wellington but I wasn't too sure...Wellington might be a bit big for my liking and Palmerston North I'd never heard of until I found out they had a Uni :p
    Also what makes Hamilton shit? Just out of curiosity.

4. You should go to dunedin imo.

5. #5 Carl Weathers, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
    You don't want to set foot in Palmerston North.
    Suicide At One a Week Palmerston North | Stuff.co.nz

Wellington is a decent option but I think Dunedin would be the best choice for you. Unless you're like a yokel, then you may want to choose Palmy/Ham-town where you would fit in. If you're from Adelaide City, I don't think you'd find Wellington too overwhelming (it's population is a tenth the size).

One other consideration, the universities in Wellington/Hamilton/Palmerston North do not hold a candle to Otago University, in terms of rankings. So not only would your lifestyle probably be best in Dunedin, but so would your education.

6. That article is seriously heavy. Dunedin it is. In terms of jobs etc after Uni, are there many in the Otago region, or would I have to look into moving somewhere else post University?
    Sorry about all the questions, but you guys have been way more informative than anyone else I've asked so far (including Google, who doesn't have opinions aha)

7. I really couldn't say for sure, but if I had to guess, your job prospects would see you leaving Dunedin once you graduated. It wouldn't matter a great deal, as you'd probably be moving out of your student flat at the end, anyway. The city is very much reliant on the university itself (a fifth of the population are students), and I don't think there is much industry down there beyond farming. If you studied agriculture, I'm sure you'd find something in the Otago region. Or worked in the university, you obviously wouldn't be moving too far. Otherwise, there would be a good chance you'd end up in Christchurch/Wellington/Auckland. Totally dependent on what degree you take on, or how lucky you get.

I'm glad to help.

8. ANY job which is suitable for a teenager/early 20's will be GONE in Dunedin.

There are many fruit picking jobs around Dunedin but those are more for travelers which don't mind minimum wage.

But come to Auckland if you want a job.

and lastly, Wellington is too windy :D

9. Sorry to revive an old thread, but I've been considering Auckland a bit more lately just because apparently Dunedin is freezing cold as opposed to pleasantly chilly...
    How hot does it get in Auckland? And how cold?
    Are Maoris a big problem over there? Aboriginals in Adelaide are (for the most part) an issue, they generally just get drunk and try and fight everyone. Obviously not all of them are like that, but there's enough for me to describe it as an issue.
    Is it expensive to live there? What's the student life like?
    Sorry about all the questions, I just have to start making up my mind pretty soon!

10. #10 Carl Weathers, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
    I feel like a travel agent or something, been talking about life in NZ on Grasscity a lot recently.

Auckland is usually around 10 to fifteen degrees in winter, with some days dropping as low as 5 degrees. Summer its typically 20 to 25 degrees, with the occasional 30. The weather in Auckland can change from summer to winter in a single day, it's highly unpredictable.

The student life in Auckland is pretty dull. It's not the place where you can just drop into a social network, and I base this on many people moving to Dunedin for a more social lifestyle. Also because I have been through student life in Auckland, and I never made a friend that I've kept in contact with at university. It's not that cheap, either. It's about $5000 per year of university, plus whatever living costs you will incur (you would prob end up renting for about $130-180pw + food and expenses). Student loans are interest free, but I have no idea how an Australian citizen is treated in that regard.

11. #11 catfish swiming, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2012
    New Zealand is over rated...

Beautiful country inadequate people

12. In what way were they inadequate?

I'm going to go on holiday to NZ mid this year to decide where I'm going to go for sure but any info in advance is always appreciated.

13. I'm from Auckland myself. You get 4 seasons in one day - every day.
    But it's still a great place to go, and there are ample opportunity for jobs.

Yet, I'm moving to Melbourne next year :)

14. Ew Melbourne? Melbourne's crap, if I HAD to stay in Australia I'd stay here, in Adelaide, move to Perth or move to Hobart. Wouldn't even consider anywhere else, full of retards.

15. I still stand by Dunedin. Everyone there is very friendly and it's basically where all the partying/studentlife happens. It was extremely quiet too when I went there cos all the students were out of town. Cadbury world is also there..and it smells like chocolate all around!

16. I remember going to duniden and by some museum somewhere or something, and there are these big disc satalite things standing about 100 meters away from each other or something and if you have two people stand at each end and you talk into them, you can hear the person at the other side. Buzzy.

Although this was when i was young and im not sure if its there any more. can any one confirm this?

17. I went to the museum but I don't remember anything like this..I went last month though so I have forgotten a lot. Baldwin st is pretty awesome. I didn't get a chance to walk up it though :(

18. I last went when i was about..... 9 maybe. So i cant really remember alot really.