New York State set to Legalize Recreational Cannabis

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by bewiseman, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Governor Cuomo announced today his plan to set in motion legislature legalizing recreational use of cannabis for adults age 21 and over. His proposal seams like a pretty well balanced bill, including wiping records clean of charges for those previously convicted. The taxation layout seams a bit strange, but manageable. His proposal calls for a 3 tier layout, essentially it would break down to: growers, wholesalers, and retailers with the taxes being proposed at the wholesale level rather than retail. the bill would Impose a 20 percent state tax and 2 percent local tax on the sale of pot from wholesalers to retailers, plus a per-gram tax on growers; $1 per gram dry weight of bud/flower and $0.25 per gram dry weight of trim. The governor is giving counties and larger cities the ability to opt out of a legal cannabis program taking place in their area as well. Here's where it gets interesting though! Cuomo and NY democrats alike are pushing for legalization as a sort of social reform being targeted to low income communities "that paid the price, and not the rich corporations that come in to make a profit." which, don't get me wrong here, is great for small local business. I just find it to be a weird justification for legalization. Another thing to take note of is that with this comes a new way of managing the cannabis industry in New York, the Office of Cannabis Management (OCM) tied into the Alcoholic Beverage Control. The OCM would administer all licensing, production, and distribution of cannabis products in the adult-use, industrial and medical cannabis markets. This would also establish separate licensing programs for cannabis growers, distributors and retailers, with a ban on growers also opening retail shops. My final take out of this, and to me it's a BIG BIG flaw in this proposal, is a ban on New Yorkers growing their own cannabis for recreational use. It does, however, allow for the home grow of medical cannabis for those involved in the state's medical marijuana program. While allowing patients to grow at home is GREAT due to the costs of medicine in NY, insurance purposes, etc. banning recreational home cultivation seams to be counter intuitive, ESPECIALLY if the entirety of the states program was constructed with the idea that it liberates consumers from big corporations, or money and greed becoming a factor of the cannabis industry in New York. This begs the argument of "If it's going to be treated the same as alcohol, and home brewing of alcohol is permitted, why is it then that home cultivation of cannabis isn't?" If the state is truly concerned with potential contamination of cannabis with chemicals and pesticides, let us grow it on our own, organically, for ourselves, in our own gardens. I'm not sure how to go about the process but if this thing is going to go through it needs to be done right! Whatever we can do to persuade NY lawmakers to add this change to the bill needs to happen fast, before bill becomes law! Sorry for the long read but we are all here for the same reason, just thought I'd spread the news on.

• Like Like x 3
  2. I agree, we should be able to grow at home.

Sent from my Pixel using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 4
  3. Looking like they’re still shooting for April fools day.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SIKE, it ain't legal! Ya'll going to jail! :cop:

5. A common question for new medical cannabis patients and recreational consumers is whether or not home cultivation is permitted where they live. We put together a helpful guide outlining the home cultivation status for states that have legalized some form of cannabis. The most vocal opponents of home growing may be the Quebec government which has said it will not allow home grow immediately, as part of an effort to legalize at its own pace.
    But home growing has its pleasures. Like tomatoes or carrots, growing one’s own cannabis is cheaper than buying it, and a chance to learn something.

6. The only green the government cares about is money. Liberty, freedom, principle don't matter if if means more money in their pockets. Politicians are out here claiming they're for "social justice" with weed meanwhile they're writing up bills that do nothing to change growing your own from a FELONY in most places. But yeah, they care about justice. They'll graciously allow you to smoke a plant that naturally inhabits the earth without sending you to our disgraceful prison system unless you choose to grow said plant yourself, then you can go to prison with murderers and child rapists and maybe get beat up, raped, extorted for money, killed, and all kinds of other abuse by not only inmates but even the guards who don't give a shit about you and can get away with whatever they want.

But hey, the government cares about you and is just trying to do the right thing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Looking a little better for growing, let's hope it's true

Newsday | Long Island's & NYC's News Source | Newsday

• Like Like x 4
  8. If they let NY have grows, than I am moving back heh.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Grow positions have changed which is outstanding! I'm glad they looked into that, but now the entire police force in the state is advocating against legalization(of course) and members of government are raising opposition which is significantly slowing down the process. Hope they can do what's right by April and not keep NY way behind the times.. again

10. NY has been so nazi on cannabis for SO long, I've often wanted to move. Lets hope we get to grow, Ive just spent 1k+ on starting a setup for personal use.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yea it did. Cuomo did a huge turnaround. I still think it was all about him being re elected and he stands to make a lot of money off it. But I guess in these types of situations when there is a lot of money involved I never tend to see the good in people.

If homegrows are not allowed especially with patients, the bill should never go through, period.

12. Well So Much for that, He pulled out LOL

• Like Like x 1
  13. #14 TimJ, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    Class c Felony. I was arrested on August 25 2019. 10+ pounds. Keep in mind anything grown indoors.. They weigh your plant ,pot and soil. That is what federal law states. I lost over $3000.00 in equipment alone. Plus about 3 pounds of dried bud. Because of the way they entered my home I was able to plea out with a disorderly conduct charge and I need to stay out of trouble for a year. I needed to go to drug rehab. And probation until they were satisfied I wasn't a drug dealer/drug addict. I strongly suggest you all research "Constitutional home entry" paragraph 9 in particular. That is how these dirty cops broke into my home, and suggested a robbery was in progress. Remember the cops in Schenectady,NY that were indicted for this exact reason. The cop that entered my home transferred from Schenectady, NY 6 months prior to my arrest.

• Like Like x 3
  14. It was Rockland and Suffolk counties that voted it down. If you have friends in those counties have them email or call there representatives and ask them to legalize.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I figured they'd be overly generous with the weight but the fact they're allowed to weigh your soil, pots, etc is a joke if that's true. I've heard about them doing "no knock raids" on growers too. Fucking kick in your door, flashbangs, m4s, a whole swat team when they know you're just a dude growing weed. People have died from these trigger happy pussies during these for no reason. Oh and if you have a dog, better pray they don't murder it. They shoot dogs and say it was a threat when it obviously wasn't and get away with it no questions asked.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. My dog is a dachshund. Hard to justify shooting it when it can't reach above your boot. The DA stated, I should have better control of my dog. She knew it was set up too. Thinking back now, my dog would always come back from the direction they were parked licking his mouth.. Like they were feeding him. Our township has a leash laws. But, we live on a dead end road in the country and everyone lets there dogs visit each other.

• Like Like x 1
  17. It sickens me to hear of the govt telling anybody what or how they need to “control” anything on their property. I pay my taxes and their say so should end there.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Cuomo's state of the state address.. Same lies different session. Now, he wants a marijuana research center in SUNY? And have neighboring states help with the financing of it. It's laughable..

• Like Like x 1
  19. They got me for the same TimJ.... I have hope for this yr. Seems NJ is 100% gonna pass in November and there are stories of the dispensary parking lots in MA being filled with cars that carry NY tags, which changed the mind of the Westchester leg. who shot it down last yr. CT seems to be about it as well. Long Island seems to be the last to hold out and they straight up said it's because they want a piece. If it can stay in the budget for the April 1st due date it will get done. I have to keep faith cause I'm not getting off on any technicalities. Beware everyone, they are still chasing us, do not become complacent like I did.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1