New type of light.Luxim's plasma light bulb.

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by shaman-, Mar 21, 2008.

1. I want some! They look damn good. Could get monster grows using a handul of them :)

2. i need one thats it....=0

3. hot dam sam!!!

4. there have been 2 or 3 other posts about this already, its not on sale nor will it be, they are using it for cop cars, street lights, and other public needs, also in the very expensive projectors and such, but the blub itself wont be up for sale, why, because it produces so much light that the electric companies will lose money from it being sold, so yeah, sorry about being a kill joy but someone had to say it

5. i wonder how big the ballast is? by the looks of the street lamp they were using i would have to double the size of my room for one of those to fit.

6. These will be in production in August. We are the first company to produce them. They are really amazing.
    You can check out the specs on the website below. Please let me know if you have any questions.

7. im in red deer alberta lol we got 8 diff kinds in diff streetights in anders neighborhood testing them to see which ones our citys changing to there wicked n i want them

8. That is the entry price. When the price comes down, it looks cool. Most of the light produced by the sun isn't used by plants. They are really only interested in specific portions of the spectrum.

This is why I think LED will be more important to the future of growing. Rather than put out a broad spectrum like these lights, LED lights can be gapped to put out very specific spectral output. You can tune the LEDs to produce only the light used by plants. It doesn't really matter if these plasma lights put out more lumens per watt if the plant doesn't use most of that light. Lumens don't really give a good measure of PAR light.

Nonetheless, it looks like cool technology. It is exciting to see all the advances that are going on in the world of lighting.

9. Google DIY Luxim Plasma and follow some links like I did and you can find a kit for about $600 complete. My TV actually uses a 90w version plasma lamp. The bulb and the ballast and the control board can all be purchased for about $450 online. $2000 is a total rip off. No one will be paying that when they can build it themselves for 1/3 of the costs.I knew about these bulbs since that article was posted in 2008. Definitely not new news.

10. not new news at all .. we were all talking about these in '03 back on CC & OG.. general consensus ..too friggin much $$ for too much heat....

11. Imagine what one of these would look like on an infrared camera...

12. Would love to see pics of a grow under one of these - please do!

jerry.

13. 3 post all with the same link ..don't hold your breath........

14. Here you go: this is a ten day lapse.

Attached Files:

15. excuse me: 11 day lapse.

16. How would you rate this compared to a 1,000 watt HPS system?

Thioughts on this r appreciated.

I would buy this, if i thought it was going to increase my grow.

jerry.

17. wow that is a pretty significant change, how old are the plants in the last picture?