New toy - phire legacy

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by imnickim, Apr 29, 2011.

1. thanks negotiator

2. seems like a stupid question but what is the orange piece on the bowl for? i see it on alot of expensive pieces

3. that clamps the bowl and the carbon filter attachment under it together so that when i pull it they both stay together. when its not there and i go to pull the bowl out to clear it i may crack the one under it or it will fall off and break. just makes it safer to use

4. wow that seems like a crazy amount of money to spend on a bong, my friend has a bong that has almost everything that one does and it was $150 is there something about that bong that makes it so expensive?

5. You obviously haven't seen some of the non china glass around here...

6. if i had to guess id say his is prob thinner glass and a no name brand. not that theres anything wrong with it not having a name on it, still works fine. is there a picture of it somewhere? id like to see how similar it is cuz if its that close ill go back and ask for a better deal on the next thing i buy there haha

7. Another Phire owner! My 9mm is my daily driver. (Back in TX, all I have here in PA is my new bub) Looks fantastic man.... Milk shots!

8. Looks great! You think that bottom design makes it a little fragile though? Take care of it.

9. Not worth a penny more than like two bills, but w/e just another uninformed buyer getting a china piece for an american made price

10. #31 KGann, May 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    The troooooollllllzzzzz.

11. the bottom is a dope design but its more then that. the water gets filled righttt at the top of the perc and when u pull it the water swishes and mixes with the smoke in the spiral to cool it down more. its actually not the part im most worried about breaking, seems pretty solid. wat i worry about most with phire bongs is the part where u put ur bowl piece, normally it sticks out on one side and is on the outside of the bong but since it goes through it and is distributed on both sides im not to worried about it breaking. id have to say the disk bottom just cuz im used to beaker bottoms and the one i used to have was pretty forgiving with mistakes. the downside to beakers though is if that cracks ur screwed where as with this bottom it wont effect it other then looks.

12. smoke rings in raleigh?

13. um yea it is actually haha. is that the only smoke rings or should i b freaked out lol

14. hes not being a troll, hes right.......im not gonna be nice and ignorant, im gonna be real and honest......phires percs are known to break... they are not known for their lasting quality....my friends percs broke when he was cleaning it, and i have seen numerous people talking about how their percs broke while cleaning as well....just be careful i guess

15. #36 KGann, May 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    But you are not spreading "fact", merely local knowledge. They are not "known to break", only within your circle maybe. Phire is a pretty popular brand in my area, and many own them, including me. I've owned my Phire bubble bottom since '09, and a tube for over a year. Cleaned every night, vigorously, and haven't so much as had a slight crack. The bubble bottom has a single tree, and tube has 3 trees and a SG. Come to think of it... Nobody I know that owns one has broken theirs. So, the "fact" here is simple- thin, cheaply constructed glass breaks. Inspect your pieces before purchase and you shouldn't have a problem.

And before jumping to "omgz it's china glass, CHINA JANKKKKKKKK!", I have heard a few sides to the Phire story. I was at a LHS in the San Francisco, and we were talking about Phire's, as he had a few straight tubes. He told me they were blown right there in the SSV. A Google search can find some things about them being blown in CA, too. The only info in a Google search about Phire being china glass is found in flame wars on forums. Not very reputable, if you ask me.

16. #37 bostonbuds87, May 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2011
    i wasnt just talking about in my circle, ive seen a decent amount of threads since ive been on GC about how peoples phires break often.....i was adding in the story about my friend because i was trying to point out that GC isnt the only place ive heard of phires breaking easily

just because you own one that you like and its a popular brand doesn't mean its a quality brand, you dont need to search the internet to be able to tell that it isnt on par with lots of other glass

17. here ya go

18. Wow. 6 breaks... Holy hell. I bet 6 of the same brand pieces has NEVER broken. The only posts that involve thickness or sizes state "thin glass", or 5mm thickness to be specific. Hmm... I'm pretty sure that falls right into how I ended my post.

I'm not saying Phire is the end-all-be-all, but from personal experiences, their thicker build stuff has never shown me any problems. (I can only think of 6 Phire owners at the moment that I know)

One more time- inspect your glass before purchase. No matter what the sticker says, flaws occur in all construction. (Including the aforementioned brand)

19. And me owning one has nothing to do with it. I have owned trash glass, and much better glass. I still believe my HGB is better quality than my Phire, but I can't rightfully say it's crap quality, because in my experiences it is not. It has fallen on it's face and broken a cheap down stem and what I thought to be a quality AC haha.