Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

New toker, question about size of hits

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by patio87, Sep 20, 2008.

1. So I started smoking for the first time around July, and during August I probably smoked everyday for the whole month. After that month I feel like I now have a pretty good feel for weed and the differences in the high. One of the things I have been wondering about is size of hits. I am using a pretty small 15 dollar pipe, so my bowls aren't very large, and the hits aren't huge. My question is do you get higher from taking bigger hits on the same amount of weed? Say I'm smoking a bowl, if I smoke the whole bowl by taking small hits, will I be the same high if I had taken as large of hits as possible on the same amount of weed?

2. in my experience, I take smaller hits, because I have bitch lungs, and I still get really high.
    think about it. you can hold in a small hit a lot longer than a huge hit, giving yourself more time to absorb the THC.

I might be completely wrong though, so a second opinion would be useful.

3. Whenever I take slower, smaller hits, I get much higher. Just from what I've observed.

4. ive never done a study on it..but..im pretty sure aslong as u smoke the same amount of weed..it wont matter..unless theres a lot of time in between hits..holding it in longer will be a different factor tho

5. in my experience, as long as you smoke the same amount, within the same time period, you will get the same high. As mentioned above though, if you hold it in longer, you will get higher.

6. This is just my opinion but i find when i take a a few big hits rather than several small ones i get much higher but i do hold in the bigger hits for about 5-10 seconds

7. yeah don't dome the blunt by taking major pulls shawty, decent pulls and chillen is the way to get high as fuck. You don't to be all on edge etc. just blows the high. Hold it in for at least 5sec too. I hold the good hits for about 15-20:D

8. Thats true, Smaller amount of smoke will take less of your lung capacity, therefore, you will have more oxygen and less smoke in your lungs, so you can hold it in longer and absorb more THC.

9. take some big ones..then wait a little bit and take a small one...and repeat

10. For the people who like to hold it, I just thought I'd point out that holding it for more than 5 seconds doesn't get that much extra THC into your bloodstream, and after 8 you won't get any more at all.

11. #11 RepentYeNbelievethegospel, Sep 20, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
    All of the THC that can be absorbed is done after holding the smoek in for 5 seconds, you dont need to hold it in any longer, your just hurting your lungs,
    but you will find that if you take a few small hits, and wait a while(half hour or so, unless you smoke so much that the high is instant, in which case wait like 10-15 min)
    Size of hits dont really matter, they just get really harsh when your using a small pipe like that, but when you use bongs you get used to taking bigger hits, just pace yourself, since you havent been smoking for very long.
    Also thought i should add, that ive been using bongs for a while, and ive gota 2 footer, now i can take good sized hits off it and still hold it in for a while, but sometimes if i smoke a LOT(like more then usual, or just continuous smoking over a long period of time) when i inhale deeply my lungs hurt at the end of inhaling air.
    Dont try and take too big of a hit, you will just cough and hurt yourself most lily, if you really want big hits get a water piece.

12. really good point NYCdeisel, the size of the hit that u take doesnt matter becuause u will be the high the same with small hits or large hits. now holding the smoke in i like to hold it in for about 5-10 secs and people will tell u if u hold it in longer or cough really hard u will get higher but thats not the case its a myth.

13. Size of hits doesn't matter, as long as the amount of marijuana is the same.

Holding in a hit for more than about 5 seconds will not increase the amount of THC that your body absorbs.

Taking a hit faster or slower won't make a difference.

14. personally i take medium size hits, if its to big i feel like i wana cough my lungs out, n i hate that feeling, too small, then i have to keep hittig it over n over, but when i first started i took little hits, worked best for me at the time

15. Great point, BayArea. If you're new to smoking, don't try to take massive hits each time. You're only going to be hurting your overall marijuana experience. Just take hits that feel comfortable for you, figure out your limits. No point in trying to take a gigantic hit and immediately coughing it out.

16. So there is really no advantage to say a bong, it just makes your hit smoother?

17. All my friends say I take the biggest hits around these parts :cool:

18. The advantage of a bong is that, not only is the hit much smoother, but it forces more smoke into your lungs in a smaller amount of time. You could take a huge hit with any smoking device, using a bong is just easier.

19. As long as you let all the thc get absorbed, which takes around 4 seconds, (or even less, taking into account that some of it has been in your lungs much longer while you inhaled) it should be the exact same high as long as you inhale the same amount of total smoke.

Altho really, large hits may get you higher faster but are more wasteful because your lungs won't effectivly absorb as much of the THC, when theres less smoke to lung you will have better absorbtion.

20. You can do what my buds and I do: We put my bubbler in the freezer for a while, let it get nice and chill. Then take as many hits as you can and hold it in as long as possible. Because of the water being near frozen you don't even feel the hits. You've gotta be able to hold your smoke though, or this method is worthless...When you exhale there's gotta be nothing but CO2 coming out, do that twice and you're good for a night. :D

My record is 26 hits held in for a minute and fourty five seconds.