New to Topping

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Slim58, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Hey guys I got these 2 Strawberry Ice Ladies, and was wondering when a good time to top is ? They're about 3weeks old. Tryna pull a Nice amount off her Btw I'm extremely New to ALL OF THIS. Watched a bunch of videos but just want better insight.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Personally I don't top a mostly Indica strain...
    I LST (low stress train) them if they get a little tall but your plant looks fine in my personal opinion...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Generally, I think it's recommended to wait until the fourth or fifth node of true leaves grows, and then top to the third node. I agree with jakesterjammin about topping indicas though -I've created some bushy monsters by topping an already bushy indica. It can get a little unmanageable, sometimes. LST works well to create a perfect canopy, if you can find a way to tie something down.

• Like Like x 1
  4. If you're gonna top at all,now is the time...while the nodes are closely spaced like that,the outer branches will always be close to the same height as the center (2) will be (if you only top one time,that is)

• Like Like x 1
  5. #5 Bf0otechsavii, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    I usually top when the plant has bout 4 nodes down to the 3rd wait for two branches to grow out then bend down the two main branches once they are long enough once it's grown another 2-3 nodes top again for 4 colas repeat the process . Then again for 8 colas and 16 etc don't forget to tie down the branches as they're growing or it will get to thick to bend and that'll be were they stay You can top as many times as you'd like the only down side to topping is Recovery Time every time I top your taking time away from your vertical growth. Once you've reached the amount of tops you desire you would stop. I would not suggest doing this with a plant wich sex you don't know(I have got lucky and they were girls) you can seriously waste a good month topping over and over again end up with males... (I like to top till I get 8 colas and I also like to cut all the new growth below we're I top so all the growth stays on the tops and not the smaller flowers below. By new growth I mean new flower sites below not the leafs I keep those on till later in the plants life.) Heres a few vegging and flowering plants I topped some plants don't like topping and require more patience and work so again time is key.
    hope this help Happy Growing ;)

First cut
    IMG_0927.JPG

Second cut
    IMG_0928.JPG

Third cut for a total of eight tops or colas.
    IMG_0929.JPG IMG_0931.JPG

Here's an example of a girl dosent like topping she's a clone he mother didn't like it either had to work her a lot to get it even this little one is going to be the same as it is a clone tops try to grow uneven I just bend and even then out again.
    IMG_0932.JPG

Barneys critical kush
    IMG_0933.JPG IMG_0934.JPG

Here's one I topped a bit early try to avoid this because it will take longer I do not mind as I have all the time in the world lol :)
    IMG_0935.JPG

Here's my flowering girls this is what those little ones in veg will eventually look like.
    IMG_0938.JPG IMG_0939.JPG IMG_0940.JPG IMG_0941.JPG IMG_0942.JPG

6. Another thing I noticed on mine was, Each branch you top grows two new branches at HALF the diameter of the single branch,So it's easy to get carried away with it,and end up with a bunch of thin,wimpy branches that can't support bud weight later on...So,be prepared for that with some kind of support,if you do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bf0otechsavii
    Your branches sure didn't get wimpy....I'm jealous !

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thank you sir I actually think I could have done it better but sometimes you gotta work with what you got boss. ;)

9. WRONG !!! You cant make that grow any better! LOL

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hey man pretty great discription, I topped one of my plants yesterday and was wondering if I did it properly

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. That's perfect you cut the top left the two little flowers those will grow out and become ur main stems ;)

12. Once you get good at supercropping and LST you won't need topping at all hardly. It just slows a plant down. That's what I use it for. If a plant is getting too tall or one branch is just overpowering I'll top it.

Good LST or supercropping will leave you with so many tops that you will have to remove many to have decent light penetration most likely. No need to ever top to get more.

13. I've recently topped my sour d, and then fim my amnesia lemon just a week ago and the difference is staggering because I fimmed instead of topping it also cause hardly any stress on the plants they recover in roughly 24 42 hours 5 tops now on most of the ladies but even the worst has 3 tops I am amazed at how well the girs love being fimmed and my god the other lower branches shot out at astronomical speed my sativa dominant strains now look like indica dominant with the width grow and showing her sativa style like height I agree with others I would not top or fim any indica strains imo keep up the good work people

14. Hey guys I think I'm looking good, but wondering if I should start "lolipopping" or defoliating some of the lower leaves on this girl ?

Attached Files: