New to site, and growing.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by BratBrat, Sep 17, 2017.

1. So my plants are just shy of three weeks. I hadn't planned on growing, and came across kinda innocently. I have killed every plant I've ever owned including two cactus. I placed a few seeds in a wet paper towel over night and they popped, I was just going to tease my daughter who was home from college, but then figured why not give it ago.
    So, now to my issues. They are 3weeks old strong, but not very big. The first week they say in a window sill. Week two I bought an $8 125w grow bulb and a sheet of mylar. During week two I had an order mishap and ended up with two LED grow lights, 600w, and 300w. I have placed the 600w 22inches from top of tallest plant, and the 300w is next to it over another set of seedlings that are almost week and a half (lol not as innocent, but story for another time). I start the plants in Solo cups with Gardenscape professional mix soil, bag doesn't show any extra nutes being added to the soil and I have not used any. This week I transplanted into an actual plant container, maybe half gallon size if I had to guess. This is where everything goes to hell.
    They took nicely to the transplant, however, remember I said I killed every plant I've ever owned, I left out I have no clue how to water, and a history of plant and forget. So being excited and they were in Solo cups, I was watering everyday, with only a misting water bottle. They did great this way, buy doesn't work in the bigger container and I started adding just a lil water every day, maybe 50mls. One plant looks great, one drooped and color lightened up a lot, and the last two days the other two are drooping and one is going light green as well. So I suspect over watering, and decided to dump out the dirt and replace fresh dry soil. One the one that yellowed and drooped first, the soil was soaked on in center, probably 3/4 of it and just fell off the roots. The roots still appeared white. The other two were not as soaked but still wet. I did this probably six hours ago, I didn't add any water to them, and that is part of why I'm posting. Should I add water, or wait and give the roots a little air? I'm going to try to post pictures, not sure if I'm allowed where I am new here. The pictures make it look like in growing far more than I am lol. IMG_20170916_020913.jpg IMG_20170916_020922.jpg IMG_20170916_021033.jpg
    IMG_20170916_021020.jpg

2. Without going into things too much, you need to do a lot of reading up on "growing in soil" for startes you need to add perlite mixed in with the soil for oxygen too the roots...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Soil you want to just about dry out before watering.
    Soilless you want to just about dry out (moist) before watering.
    Hydro is wet all the time.. lol

I would suggest get a bag of Fox Farm soil and mix in some perlite..
    Some of the Fox Farm soils are already premixed and ready to go just plant and then water.

The size of the pot don't matter, I've sprouted seeds in 10gal buckets and sprouted them in cups.
    So the pot size don't matter outside of watering times, larger pots you water less, while smaller of course you water sooner...

:thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. yeah i agree do a lot more research and reading around here but i mainly used youtube and watching hours of how to grow videos, i would recommend starting with this video and looking at as many as you can

• Like Like x 1
  5. Awesome, thanks guys. I have been reading tons, and will continue as I have so much to learn lol. So I assume we all agree over watered?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. well i popped 6 seeds 8 days ago and have only watered once, soil was watered before i put the germinated seeds in so i let it go for around 5 days before adding just a bit of water to keep them going, so im guessing the amount of watering definitely didnt help. just keep going and learning, im only on my second grow but i learned a hell of a lot from my first grow from nutrient burn to too much heat/spider mites and fungus knats. i just treated the first grow as a learning curve and didnt expect much results, i still got 87 grams and feel that i will definitely be doing a lot better this round, dont give up :D learn as you go :D try not to forget about them either lol

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yeah seems we all believe over watering...
    Several factors play a role in how much water the plants will use..
    Room temps, room's relative humidity, the grow medium used, the intensity of the light, etc. etc.

So let the soil just about dry out before watering..
    They also sell watering meters which will help you gauge the amount of water in the soil.

8. Well hopefully drying out will fix them. I just ordered a moister meter/ph tester. I've got a lot of reading to go.. Have a great evening, and thanks guys.

• Like Like x 3