Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

New to RSO

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Loki1983, Jun 22, 2020.

1. After many years of failed pharmaceuticals, my friend has turned to me to inquire about RSO. I will say that he reached out after making his own attempt at making it a couple times, with no success. As I'm not in a legal state, I can only offer directions and am looking for help. Or drive 4hrs to his place (and than still ask for help).
    His process:
    1. Froze 14g bud and Iso for 24hr
    2. Combined bud and 275mil Iso in jar #1 and agitated for 10mins.
    3. Strained mix through cheesecloth into jar #2, placing strained bud back into jar #1.
    3. Added 275mil to bud and agitated for 10min.
    4. Poured through cheesecloth into jar #2.
    5. Poured jar #2 through coffee filter into jar #3.
    6. Poured contents of jar #2 into rice cooker, turned on to rice cooker.
    7. Twittled thumbs.
    8. Added a few drops of water when reduction was down to 50%.
    9. Drained contents into stainless steel 1/4 cup after rice cooker steamed a bit.
    10. Placed cup on coffee maker and turned on.
    11. Waited until there was no more bubbling activity and removed.

I've watched as many videos as there have been made about making it, and it sounded about right. He says it has a very minute taste of alcohol and is not having any effect. What might have he done wrong?

2. One thing missing is did you decarb the bud? I do 40 minutes at 240 degrees in the oven. Then I proceed making the oil.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. He didn't decarb the bud the second time as per the Rick Simpson video in which Rick himself said that he didn't have to because the rice cooker took care of it.

4. I figured that but I still do it. It’s all I could think of. Hopefully others will jump in.

5. I'm not sure what that is. When he smokes and gets high his ailments disappear, so he's looking for the same thing in his extract.

6. If it still taste like alcohol then it hasn’t reached high enough temp to decarb the extract. Best to start with decarbed weed then nothing is left to chance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Should he put in in the oven for a certain temp and time?

8. The oil that he already has, should he pop it in the oven?

9. People do that but I never have so I can’t really instruct.

10. What is the idea behind this step? Never added any water. I always deacrb my material first.
    How die he consume it? Some people do not get high from edibles, which is a pity.

11. A dab in a capsule, than under the tongue. Nothing happened.
    In the first round he decarbed, second he did not. Either way, the results left him with a "withered wallet" as he put it. So thin now, so very thin.

12. You are working much too hard at this.
    Decarbing by watching bubbles can be error prone if the cause of the bubbles is something besides decarb happening, or if bubble judging skills are lacking.
    Tasting poisonous isopropyl isn't good, and using iso can be hazardous to your health.
    Often edibles are perceived to fail because not enough was used for a dose.
    Much simpler, and more potent is using decarbed herb powder plus lecithin in edibles, and no straining.

Here's the simplest edible, and it can be made with any amount of herb. The amounts given are for a small test batch, but they can be multiplied by anything.
    1. Decarb 2 grams herb @ 240 for 40 min.
    2. Grind to fine powder.
    3. Mix together these ingredients in these proportions:
    (2 g Herb) + (2 g Lecithin) + (36 g nut butter) = 40 g Mixture
    4. Bake at 220 F for 40 min.
    5. Spread onto crackers or bread, and eat. It won't taste good, but taste can be improved by using more nut butter or nutella.

Total THC = 0.16*(2000 mg) = 320 mg for good 16% herb
    Potency = (320 mg THC)/(40 g Mix) = 8 mgTHC/gMixture.

Faulty decarb and/or straining can reduce potency by up to 50% or more.
    The most efficient strained recipes are about 80% efficient or less.