New to QB, need input on this

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Wizzle_A, Feb 15, 2019.

1. I've been running 600 true watts of a cheap cob light. Wanting to switch over to a QB. I have a 2x3 tent, usually 2 plants. Would the 260 xl be enough for this area. Would 2 of them be better. Like I said, I'm extremely new ro all of the qb stuff. Been reading a ton, but there is so much info as far as differant wattages, tent sizes, efficiency. Also, color spectrum. Looking for one light i can go seedling to flower with. Can anyone help to point me in the right direction. Thank you.

2. Two qb288(260xl) would be great for a 2x3 area! 3500k would be a an all around start to finish

• Like Like x 3
  3. 29E23506-798E-45F4-9EB2-9BF5947A4800.jpeg DA52FCDD-5784-4C43-8D8C-52FF2462032F.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  4. I've used 2x 304s in a 2x3 and got excellent results. Pics posted in my media.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I actually ordered the 304 first then canceled and got 288 v2

Heard good things about the 304

• Like Like x 1
  6. Awesome. Thank you guys. Those were the exact ones I have been looking into. Probably going to pull the trigger on one this week. How hard are they to wire. I was thinking of just paying the extra 35 bucks to have it assembled and tested. Is it worth that. I'm pretty handy and a decent mechanic. Just don't want to burn down the house, as I've never tore into any kind of house wiring.

7. Also. Heat. Do they put off much. Am I going to have a hard time keeping this small of a tent cool with 2 of these running?

8. Easier then Most things in life

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Heat in tent. The air of the room the tent is in and the air u r drawing in will effect ur temps more then the qb. dont Mount driver in tent.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. The rated coverage area for the qb260 is 3x3 or 2x4 for flower. It should be perfect for a 2x3 with the included dimmer since it's under the max rated coverage area by quite a bit and the fixture is small enough to fit in that space.

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 5
  11. 18ga wire is all you need. preferably solid core because it's easier to insert into the board connectors but that's not critical - you can even adapt an old extension cord as the wiring between the driver and boards - lots of ways to make the wiring works. it's so basic and easy. Most of the time if you look around you most likely already have wires that may work - an old cord from an unused appliance, spare old computer / printer cords (just cut the ends off. Ands same for the driver plug wiring. just cut the plug end off and old extension cord and wire onto the driver rather than spending $12-$15 for a new plug connection at the electrical supply house. I don't know about you but
    I must have DOZENS of old power cords around here I could utilize for free. Same for the hangers. just get creative. the boards are light, even with the heatsinks (qb120 and 132 boards without heatsinks are featherweights!!) so things like fishing leaders work great as an example. keep it simple and don't over complicate it - it really is that easy.

• Like Like x 2
  12. I’ve bout two kits and two board/heatsink combo. Which I posted one of each. While the board heatsink combo can be cheaper. It’s not much I’d u have to run to different stores If u get the kit. Comes with everything
    Board heatsink u need driver, 3 prong power cord, 18g solid core wire, hanging leads, wagos, and wire strippers/cutters if u don’t have. The kit comes with some super nice water proof connector for the driver power cord. U could just use wagos and save 8-10$

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. To get them rly cheaper then hlg y my need to use those weird ass apps/sites ppl talk about on here. U can get them cheap as dirt. But u gotta know who the best ppl to go thru are

14. That’s how I though soil2coco was gonna say get them cheaper

15. That really is all you need. I like to just put a male 120v plug on the input to the driver instead of using splices. You will have to splice on the driver output but yes most use 18awg wire. The boards have push in connectors so you only need to splice on the driver output. Crimp connectors and shrink tubing work fine.

• Like Like x 1
  16. hey there, this post has been extremely useful and thank you to everyone, i also will be purchasing
    QB288 V2 & Slate 2 Double Combo

https://www.onlinecomponents.com/me...VBR-tBh2RLQ1aEAAYAiAAEgLinvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

and using an 18awg wire for connection as per reading, i have a few questions.., autoflowers - fastbuds . tangi'matic is known for having over a qp+ each plant, my questions are

I read the coverage is 3x3 - If so - is it possible for this light to produce a LB+

How far does the light need to be from the tip of the plants. i.e. 24" ?

i have optimal conditions - and using L.S.T. only with light defol to the gigantic fan leaves.
    'Bowl method'

17. With qb288 I found 18-24”. 12-16” I toasted them! As far as total weight... a lot could change that. If ur good expect a gram to 1.5 gram a watt. I’d say most get slightly lower then a gram until they are having good flawless ish grows. With that’s being said I was told with my 4x qb288 in a 3x3 I could expect 1-1.5 lbs due to the lack of space. They said I’d go up another half to lb going to a 4x4. With u having one light fixture As long as u can rotate plants so they take turn being directly under them.

• Like Like x 1