new to photoshop

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by CH3VELLE, May 27, 2007.

1. ive always been interested in graphic design and just recently purchased photoshop CS2.

might not be good at it, but it sure is fun to use when you're high! anyone else have this program?

messing around with halo:

master chief render

potential wallpaper

getting there

2. dude im so sorry. Im really sorry you put yourself through buying it. It must be around $500.... when you could easily download it online. hell, i woulda sent you mine. :(

pretty cool images, keep workin at it. I like doing abstract art alot, and if you ever want to get into any of that, i would recomend going to FILTER > RENDER > CLOUDS and fuck aroudn with them a bit.

3. Rendering cloud layers is always fun at first, but that really is the most basic of operations for making cool images in photoshop. You really want to explore doing work outside of pure filters. Work with brushes and geometric shapes and then try adding a couple filters for effect or some such, just keep workin at it. Also if you're going to make wallpapers, make them at least twice as big as those because the resolutions for computer desktops are quite large.

4. be careful about stretching images as it'll distort and pixelate.... a little trick to keep an image in proper proportion while expanding or shrinking it is to hold shift and drag from the corners

5. what chrysamere said...

6. I've got it, my stuff can be checked out here

7. Wow SSStone.... your shit is pretty fucking awesome. looks exactly like professional clothing company billboards/posters/advertisements/whatever.

+rep

EDIT: SS post your art on the forum... you will get mad rep

8. One of my favorite tools is the layer mask tool in the layer box, that and the liquify tool in the filter menu, I used both of those to create this Reagan icon, I suggest playing around with everything including the layer blending option, don't leave any leaf unturned, oh also use the all the stuff in Image-Adjustments.

9. man thanks alot for all the helpful tips guys. i sure could use some! :)

10. That is some decent work for not using PS for very long. I taught myself just by messing around, ie: trial and error. Just keep working @ it!

Call me old school, but I still use PS7. I have CS2 around here somewhere, but I tend to stick to the programs I feel comfortable with.

11. i hate to bring it up again but its very important that if you care about developing as a legitimate artist using photoshop that none of your pieces rely on an preset filter or effect as their focal point or rendering style. That second piece is sooo easily recognizable as stained glass. If you want to use filters, use them sparingly, with reason and not on the overall piece.

because photoshop is so easy to use, its makes the user's job harder in finding a unique style. Why make stuff like that with filters when you can make something like this:[​IMG][​IMG]

I'm not saying you should be as good as these artists (all i know is that I am competing with these amazing people), but the medium does not dictate what your outcome can be. use shapes, lines, colors, textures, rhythm and balance, you know those theories of aesthetics passed down thousands of years, utilizing varying brush's opacity/flow not presets. Especially since you actually bought it, you might as well learn how to use it right.

12. actually im not too serious with photoshop, as my main focus is writing and drawing.

though, messing around with photoshop every once in a while is pretty fun.

13. well then, all i've got to say is that i'm sorry you bought it if you're not serious about it :p so easy to find for free.

14. actually i lied when i said i bought it. :D

it was a gift.

anyways, i just made a new sig. i know there are many of you on this forum who know alot about photoshop, so i would greatly appreciate a brief critique.

:)