New to organics. Need advice

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Amcgrown, Feb 21, 2018.

1. So I have a bag of kellogs organic potting mix it has some pretty good basic stuff in it..
    Going to add a few things: Ewc, down to earth high N bat guano, down to earth kelp meal, epsom salt, azomite, perlite, and the down to earth rose and flower mix.
    Ive looked around checked up a bit and to my knowledge this should do pretty ok. My questions are the "cooking" process and if its necessary or if I can plant into it and let it do that in the pot or? I understand what the cooking process is amd does. but would this mix be to hot while cooking to plant straight into after mixing or let it cook all the way? Have somw babies that need to be transplanted soon and would like to go straight into the mix if possible but dont know if this will be possible. Thanks all

2. You will need to cook with the bat guano. I would add
    1/3 soil
    1/3 castings
    1/3 aeration
    Then amend
    I would use fish over bat g
    But why fuck around? start your no til follow the recipe bro.

• Like Like x 1
  3. When I have some freshly amended soil that I need like NOW, I put that in the bottom half of the pot, and put plain,UN-ammended, starter soil in the top part,with the transplant...and let the roots find the 'hot stuff' gradually...
    (but that's just me, lol....but it hasn't hurt a thing so far)
    When I 're-amend ' a no-till pot for a transplant , I'll put a handful of Down To Earth Bio Live straight into the hole under the new plant going in, and they grow like mad that way...

• Like Like x 1
  4. May try this out on one to see how it goes. Thanks man

5. May try this out on one to see how it goes. Thanks man

6. I was thinking of that. May do it next time. How do yall think this mix sounds though?

7. It looks like you have the basics there. Just don't know what ratio you are planning on using. A bad recipe is
    80 % soil
    10% perlite
    8 % worm casting
    2% amendments
    Proper is
    30 % soil
    30 % ewc
    30 % aeration
    10% amendments

8. On the right track but not exactly and a little misleading....

1. "Soil" implies a mix. Could be any ratio of compost, aeration and ammendments already in there. If youre mixing from scratch this part of the recipe is the base and should be listed as peat not soil. If you do plan to ammend a premixed soil you can certainly add in extras but definitely dont treat it the same as straight peat.

2. 10% ammendments sounds like way too much. Mix the base soil and add ammendments per cf of your base. I like the recipe in the "till revisited thread". Also I find 30% aeration to be not enough and shoot for 40% aeration, 30% peat, 30% compost/ewc.

3. EWC is expensive and dense. I would not use them exclusively for your 30% compost component as too much makes for a heavy, muddy, poorly draining mix. Personally I'd make about 75% of that component HIGH QUALITY compost and the rest EWC.

• Like Like x 1
  9. To the OP. If youre going to ammend bagged soil anyways why not start from scratch next time? Youre mixing either way so its not really much more work. From scratch is cheaper, you can use better ingredients and you will have a better understanding of whats in your soil and why.

As you have plants already close to needing new soil I'd just use the premix bag you have with minimal ammendments and start mixing a batch of better soil for next time. For now maybe just add in a bit of ewc and enough perlite to ensure the soil is well aerated. You can topdress and/or make teas to add in ammendments later as needed without running the risk of hot soil.

10. Sweet thanks for the info. And i dont quite know myself in all honestly. Was going to add with what the difections said per cu ft

11. I am a little confused as I am new to this. What is the difference in starting from scratch and using a base soil? I understand one you would fully amemd everything needed and the other you wouldnt exactly but can you explain farther? And how should I treat it different if using a base soil?