New to organic - got some questions

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by PezzaMolia, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Hello everyone! I'm Pezza and I'm totally new to growing organic. The last time I grew something I did it using bottled nutes and boy, was it bad. I mean...not as bad as "the plant died and I didn't harvest anything", but out of 4 plants with good genetics I had all sort of weird issues: one plant in veg stage was smaller than the other three and all had the same soil, same genetics, same quality, same water, temperature, sunlight, air, CO2, and everything. Switching to flowering stage she became the tallest and strongest of all four. I also learned PH swings and how bad they are, nutes lockout and deficiencies, and lots of more stuff. I guess I'm ready for the second run, tho, but this time I will drop an f-bomb to the bottles and go for the organic way.

I've bought the BioBizz Light Mix, I've followed the recipe for beginners which is sticked here (btw, thanks a lot ITG, you are the best!) and I'm just waiting for the soil to arrive here then I'm gonna mix up all the ingredients. I've got the excellent quality worm castings, three different fish meals (pro-tip about those meals: go to your local fishing store, say you want to fish some huge carps, say you want to do some fixed rod fishing, and welcome to the next level of fish meals), neem meal, rock dust, perlite, oyster shell meal, organic tomato fertilizer, alfalfa meal...that's all, I guess? If you guys think I need something else, just tell me here, I can still buy other stuff. Oh, I also have mychorrizae and some good bacteria! :)

Now, I've got some questions for the experts here, because I want to start as prepared as possible, ready for everything. I've read some threads and PDFs, but I still got some questions, so...I just drop them here, okay? Thanks in advance to anybody answering me, and thanks for being such a cool community! I love the vibes on this section!

1) Does sunlight affect the cooking soil in a **bad** way? I've got a plastic container where I'm gonna mix the soil, but it's transparent. Do I need to cover it to avoid all the sunlight, or it doesn't matter at all?
    2) Should I add mychorrizae on the soil that still has to cook, or is it just a waste? I've used mycho in the previous grow and I've added them on the hole on the soil where I've put the rockwool cube with the sapling, but maybe if add them in the soil this won't be necessary?
    3) Aerated Compost Tea: do they smell? Can I brew one inside the canopy during veg stage with the lights on, or is it bad? I don't want to brew it on a room inside the house, and I don't have the garden.
    3b) Do ACT produce lots of foam? Because if it does, I don't think I can use them, which is sad. Any idea on how to produce ACT without too much foam?
    4) My worm casting usually has some worms in it. They're red wigglers, as far as I know. Is it bad if I leave them inside the cooking soil?
    5) Have you got any raccomandation for the SILICIC ACID in EUROPE? Living here it's 100% impossible for me to get some good american/canadian nute, because the price on delivering them will be higher than the nutes. Obviously...only organic stuff.
    6) Do I need to check my pH levels again and try to get the 6.5 pH as much as I can, or is it safe to just use normal tap water (ppm 250, I guess it's safe!) instead? Maybe I will add a little air pump in the bucket and let it aerate the water for one hour, both for the chlorine and the oxygen! :)
    7) Last, but not least, and probably the most important one...any time for a second-time grower, which is a first-time organic grower? :D Like, when do I use ACT? What to expect in terms of deficiencies and burns? Have you got some special tip and trick for me?

Again, thanks in advance to the whole Grasscity community, especially for the organic growers. :gc_rocks:

Peace and smoke! :love-m3j:

2. 1. Sunlight is fine, we'd be in deep shit if the sun ruined soil.
    2. Myco in the transplant hole/roots only.
    3. Forget about compost tea, just toss some compost as a top dress and water it in.
    4. If you didn't add a whole lot of hot ingredients the worms should be fine.
    5. Aloe vera contains silicic acid (1/4 cup fresh aloe/gallon)
    6. Tap is usually fine, I wouldnt even worry about the chlorine or aerating it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. First of all, thanks! :D About the 3, that's good news. I'm gonna wait until week 3 of veg, then put some on top and leave it be, then!

Can you elaborate number 4, tho? How can I distinguish the "hot" ingredients? And wow, didn't know that Aloe had silicic acid, that plant is wonderful, lol. You also posted the recipe, which is great!

4. Mainly stuff like alfalfa and blood meal which are high in nitrogen. If you are worried just leave them a small mound of compost they can retreat to if they want.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. I would add gypsum, fish bone meal, bio-char kelp and mulch. I

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. I'm not, and still confused the two quite a few times in the past... ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. I have thoughts to offer on this, but first...

What does "organic" mean to you? Does "certification for organic food production" qualify?

• Like Like x 1
  8. As far as I knew, organic means that it's not something you can *only* produce in a laboratory, so organic is the opposite of synthetic, but I saw lots of disagreement on this website about what 'organic' meant and I'm still a little bit confused.

But please, tell me your thoughts anyway, and I'll decide. I'm not that picky, that one is gonna be the second time I grow, so I still have much to learn and experiment! :)

9. Why do you want the silicic acid? Why is it important to your grow?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Also, do you speak/read English, or are you using a translator?

11. Important as f, to be fair. I live in a bad place with a real hot summer and the AC is not that good. I've just posted a thread on First Time Growers, and to summarize...foxtails, seeds, heat stress. Bad stuff going on, but the temps are not that high, they're 80F, and the light is dimmed and 22" away from the buds, so I guess the plants are just weak. With silicic acid I can just give them a boost to resist hotter temperatures, so that's why I'd like to use silicic acid.

12. Not my first language, but I still have a Cambridge C2, lol, why do you ask?

13. I want you to read this...

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. THAT'S informative! Many thanks, man! Really appreciated, going to read it now!

15. I expect that you'll be able to source said product in Europe. Here in the 'States it's approved for organic use IF the silica component is sourced from natural sand. The nasty stuff is made (possibly) with slag from the steel industry, and comes with a good dose of heavy metals.

Check labels. Make phone calls if necessary.

I'm gonna head over to FTG and see what else you've got going on...

• Like Like x 1