New to indoor growing need lighting advise

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Iamaries54, Nov 13, 2013.

1. #1 Iamaries54, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
    I have inherited an assortment of lights and nutes 150w hps 2 x 85w 6500k cfl a 600w hps and 300w 9 band LED @ 220w Kelp for less grow and 3 stage  flower packs

I am starting a Peat based soil grow in a 42 x 42 x 84  grow room in my shed. I have 2 vent fans and 2 oscillating interior fans  with 3 plants 2 Barneys Pineapple Chunk and 1 Diamond line Obsession. The seeds are cracked.and are started on a very weak kelp solution.
    My plan is to set up a SCROG as I understand the PC will stretch  big time. I have found no info on the obsession
    My soil is stabilized @ ph 6.2 I have filtered water which runs ph 6.7 and rain runoff ph 6.0 

My first  question is  the lighting  My plan is run the veg with the LED and the 2 cfl and flower with the LED and the 150w hps..
    Im in Fl so heat can be an issue so I am staying away from the 600s hps with only 3 plants  

I have not found much information on running the LED and HPS  at the same time. Does this make sense to do ?
    I am an experianced gardner outdoors Fruit , Veggies , Bromiliads and Brugmansias so I understand  the basic relationships  but I am humbled at the   knowledge and details required to grow this plant indoors. 
    I am looking and open  to any help and suggestions you may have

2. Do you have any idea how much those bulbs have been used?
    It's quite a score to inherit all that equipment, but if the bulbs (especially the hps) have been run for a long time, you may want to switch those out. They deteriorate with use

3. I like your setup but....

How cold does Florida get in the winter? I use my 600w in the winter and divert the heat from the basement through the house. In central Cali, btw.

4. Thanks FABL I believe you are growing PC, and yes  it was a good score my son is headed to Afghanistan and left me the CFL's and the 600 its got a new lamp.  The 150  came out of a broken fixture I rescued prob has little or no hours . The led I purchased thinking it would be good for veg. and I could run it 24 if needed and not worry about daytime heat.  After more reading I think  the LED will need some help.... suprising I hung everything but the 600 and it  fits nicely 

Winter in fl is a mixed bag can be as low as 25 and mid 80's are not uncommon.

I can run the 600 for 12/12 at night if need be but I hate to waste that much power for 3 plants, its a magnetic so I cant  dim it.
    If I can run the LED and suppement with the small hps and the CFL's I think the  temp will be ok. 
    I picked the PC because it is supposed to be ok for hot moist climates but the more I read it seems to be a tricky girl. Both of them came out like gang busters the Obsession looks stunted I cant find much info about it

thanks for the input

5. Mix the lights all you want so long as temps are in check. That 600w isn't overkill for three plants, especially if you SCROG them out over a near 4x4 canopy.