New to Indoor growing. ive grown outdoors for 4yrs. im looking for indoor help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by SmokeyBonez420, Dec 16, 2012.

1. i have a 4x4 mylar grow tent. i have a 19 " cooltube i also bought a 400 mh and hps bulb. also a 6 in inline exhaust fan. i am got 3 berry ryders and 3 KO comps germinating. does anyone have suggustions or if i should put them right into 5 gal pots or into a small pot then transplant later. what should i use the hps or mh on the seedling. how much light would be good for them. and what should i put lights at maybe 3 ft above plants. learning techniques on growing indoors compared to outdoors is like going from working a register at mcdonalds to being the ceo of microsoft. but still so excited to learn.

2. HEY HEY, welcome to indoor growing.

Personally I would start off in the five gallon pots you wont have to worry about shock or slowed growth after transplant. I usually throw my seedling under a cfl for VEG then MH after a week or 2. But if thats not an option I would go with the MH bulb and keep it far and move them up as it feels right to you of course watch those temps. Sound like you got everything you need and have experience already, just imagine your outdoor plants in doors under artficial sun in pots ha jk man goodluck.

3. Do you have pics? Which brand tent are you using? Looking forward to see your grow

4. image-1192236952.jpg

Attached Files:

5. these are a few random pics from outdoor grows
    image-2688132305.jpg

Attached Files:

6. what do u suggust for temp in tent. like 75? i have the cooltube so i plan on keeping all heat from light out with that fan

7. what do u recommend for a cfl setup. ill go to hardware store and pick em up. i wanna get it right. and the cfls will proberly use less electrictiy than the mh.

8. Since you already have the 400watt mh/hps Id just go grab a bunch of daylight cfl 6500k bulbs 23watt and use them for the first weeks of the seedlings life.

9. got it :)
    Cannabis seeds grow best at 78F (25C). Low temperatures delay germination. High temperatures upset seed chemistry causing poor germination. Seeds germinate best under the native conditions where they were grown. Once germinated, move seedlings to a slightly cooler growing area, and increase light levels. Avoid high temperatures and low light levels, which cause lanky growth.

10. Why don't most people start in 5galon pots? why do they bother transplanting then?

11. so you think once i take these out of the wet towel and put it in a pot i should just use my 400 mh bulb at like 3feet above plant. keeping tent between 70-80 degrees it will be fine. what length of time should i have lights at 12/12 till it gets to veg. if they are auto flower does it matter if i leave em at 12/12 or 18/6

12. Well it is a matter of opinion everyone is always going to have THEIR METHOD, but I believe most growers infact DO START IN LARGE POTS not 5 gallons per say but a pot big enough to sustain their plant through VEG AND FLOWER.

Why make extra work for yorselves transplanting in the future risking killing your plants?

But to answer your questuion without being dodgy I think they do becuase of limited space? Or starting off a clone. IDK if yoour saying im wrong or what but its obviusly a better idea to start off in a large pot which MOST PEOPLE DO.:smoking:

13. #13 IreadtheGCrules, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2012
    Yeah you can do that just make sure to keep an eye on them. If your growing autoflower you keep the light cycle 18/6 or 24/0 (whichever youu like).

14. lol cant wait till flowering. so even with the seeds that just germinated u would have the light on 18/6. also non fiction i was told people keep em in small pots at first because when u put em in big pots usually u use a big bag of pottin soil that contains fertilizers that could damage shock or kill ur seedlings. when u start in little pots u use a starter soil. but outside i used seeds i had collected from my bags and didnt care what ones didnt survive as long as sum did. this time with $200 in seeds im being way more cautious.

15. Yup as soon as they pop put them 18/6 or 24/0 :). Well aslong as you dont add nutrients a big pot of soil shouldnt burn your seedling, I have 4 babies in fox farm OF 5 and 3 gallon pots 2/2 and they are doing GREAT !

But since your using expensive seeds Id start them off with paper towel method then move them to jiffy pellet or small pot if it works for you. I just like to avoid the hassle of a transplant and time it takes for the plant to recover :D Cant wait until my harvest got some free cheese bomb 3 days from chop chop

16. With autos I would start in a 5 gallon. As long as your plants is well cared for your root structure will be good as well. You just have to be careful not to over water the first week or two.

Your 400w will be fine for seedlings. Use the mh until they begin to flower. You don't need to be three feet from the seedlings. As long as heat is ok at the canopy, I would start 20" away at the most. At three feet with a 400w your seedlings will still stretch.

To each there own but I wouldn't bother getting a bunch of cfls just to use a week or two. The 400w mh puts them to shame in terms of output. By the time you consider cost of the cfls, small power difference, and agrivation of having to buy and set up cfls it just isn't worth it to me. I would rather hang one light and be done with it.

17. [quote name='"IreadtheGCrules"']

Yeah you can do that just make sure to keep an eye on them. If your growing autoflower you keep the light cycle 18/6 or 24/0 (whichever youu like), then when you notice yor first hair or female pistils switch your light cycle to 12/12:hello:[/quote]

No, with autos you continue to run 18/6 or 20/4 all the way until harvest. It is the fact that they do not require a 12/12 light cycle that makes them autos. Running 12/12 with an auto will do nothing but result in diminished yield.

18. #18 Doc-J, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
    [quote name='"SmokeyBonez420"']

so you think once i take these out of the wet towel and put it in a pot i should just use my 400 mh bulb at like 3feet above plant. keeping tent between 70-80 degrees it will be fine. what length of time should i have lights at 12/12 till it gets to veg. if they are auto flower does it matter if i leave em at 12/12 or 18/6[/quote]

When a plant sprouts, it is already in veg. You begin on your veg light cycle of choice, be it 18/6, 20/4, or 24/0.

You do not ever need to put autos into 12/12. The need to use a 12/12 light cycle applies only to photoperiod strains that flower based on light cycle. Autos flower automatically ( hence the name) based on age rather than light cycle. Running them on 12/12 only results in less light and smaller plants.

19. :) Hi mate just my 2 cents worth, The most important thing i find in a in doors garden is a kick ass PPM meter and PH meter and taking samples of water run off , Something i never did out side . :hello:

20. nice i wish i could switch spots with u. lol. ya i cant wait till the seeds are done in the towel then ill put em 5 gal pots under the mh bulb for 12/12 till they get there first set of real leaves then ill crank it up to 18/6. when i got the seeds i counted em in the package then when i opened the package to put on table i lost one so i put 3 in towel started looking for the one i lost. couldnt find it went to move the end table and spilt the rest of seeds. lol needless to say never do when u have been drinking. i had to pull my whole living room apart to find em. it took me 4 hrs two fell inbetween couch cushions. lol i was so mad that all i could do is laugh. i guess growing is a learning experiment and day one i learned dont drink n while opening seeds. also dont open seed package on a wood end table were seeds can bounce onto ur couch or bouch across ur hardwood floor lol