New to hydro DWC undercurrent system

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by farm3r, Oct 28, 2012.

1. #1 farm3r, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2012
    Hi folks,
    I would like to set up a 4 site DWC undercurrent system. I have never grown hydro before so am totally lost. I have tried searching for walkthroughs but they dont seem to explain the whole set up to me. Firstly I need help with a shopping list. I would really appreciate any help cheers.

Ps if someone could post a plan of the setup that would help me out bigtime, just something like a top down view with all parts labeled with sizes of pipe, grommets, reservoir, everything basically lol cheers

I apologise for the state of this post but it is very awkward on my phone.

So far I have ordered 5 x 25l buckets with lids.

I am thinking about this water pump http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160807083174?redirect=mobile will this do the job or does it have to be an in line pump?

What size pipe should I use?

Will this air pump do the job, or is it overkill? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60-LITRE-...den_PondsWaterFeatures_UK&hash=item4845aab420

2. i've heard excellent reviews about Current Culture H2O.....pretty pricey though. OUTSTANDING yields.

3. Im discovering that as i go along here lol decided to go with a hailea 60lpm air pump with a 6 way manifold. Going to run 1 air line to each bucket and T each one off to have 2 x 4 inch airstones in each bucket and 2 in the brain.

For my water pump i got a maxi jet 1200. This is where im a bit stumped! What size pipe do i use? Im thinking 50mm feed and 25mm return?

Im also a bit lost when it comes to the res. i thought i could use the same size bucket but iv read elsewhere that u use that as a header bucket and connect a larger res to this?

Seriously considering shelving this and returning to soil, its an awful hassel when u havnt got a clue lol

4. Check out CAPs ebb n gro and Titan Controls sells something similiar... 100 gal res controller and 12 sites about 2-3gal? Ebb n Flow/ Flood tables are an easy hydro setup.

5. Or if you wana run soil get a res with a pump that has a 1/2", 3/4" dia and have it feed a bunch of smaller "drip lines" you place in the soil. So your still running soil, just another way... Hand feeding sucks...

6. I think i have it figured out now lol only time will tell

7. If you get it figured out, maybe do a DIY journal. Or maybe some pics and some nice details. Id love to make one myself rather then shell out $900... For 4 SITES

8. I know this is an old thread, and the chance of a 2 post user reading back is slim to none - but if you are around kcp0005 I'd love to know what kind of yield you got off of that system.

9. 10 to 12 oz on each with a 3 week veg