New to growing..

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by smoke4life, Oct 13, 2012.

1. I have actually done this in the past when I was room mates with someone in an actual house. We just put it outdoors in a pot, with some soil.. Came out pretty good, but was bug infested (I suspect anyway, she swears up and down it wasn't)

So my question is. Can i keep my baby inside and take it outside for sunlight daily? Also what kind of BASIC soil can i get? Pesticides? Diatomaceous earth?

I am VERY limited, and have been doing some reading but it all seems so very advanced when I'm so very..basic :(

I need to attempt to make medicinal oil with this product, so trying to make it potent

Any help is appreciated :wave:

P.S. Good to be back on the forum!

2. On second thought, could i just push it toward the window for sunlight? And back into a hiding spot when I need to?

or is a fan and lights really neccessary for indoor?

3. Fan and lights are necessary for indoor growing. IMO, it's best to choose either indoors or out and stick with it.

4. yeah if you want to bring your plants outdoors during the day.....depending on where you live.....this is DEF not the time of year

5. @NotSure

Anything simple and cheap you could reccommend? Don't want to make it fairly obvious on bills either! lol

@ProjectICE

This is true. Though, I do still get great sunshine everyday. i figured the in/out idea wasn't good in case of dragging in possible pests.

I really just figured get the plant some sun, water, easy peasy, but this is not so!

6. use t5s or cfls, saves some money compared to hid.

7. It won't start impacting your bill much, my 400w light runs me $20 a month, but my total grow is about $50 in electric... which still isn't much. About what a central air unit would run, and buying electric isn't illegal ;)

For you I'd recommend HPS. In my experience, generic equipment fails after some time goes by, if not sooner. I posted some pics of what happened to my cheap generic 400w ballast in my journal, it's not pretty. I've been through 5 or 6 ballasts in the past year, had trouble with my generic 250w as well, failed twice within 2 months of buying it. Now I buy Lumatek, and I recommend that you stay away from cheap ballasts. Lumateks have a feature where you can select the wattage you want, the one I picked up has 250w, 400w, and 430w (super lumens!!!)

Vent fan you can cheap out on and it will perform the same function, but it will be loud. You can get a high powered inline fan off amazon for under $50. Carbon filter you can get for the same price, but it might only last one grow. I'd recommend a can filter, they last 2 years. Phresh are good as well, but I've never used them.

All together, to do it right, I'd say you're looking at $400+ for a minimum, fully concealed and odor-free grow that will produce 4-6 ounces every 3 months or so (every 8 weeks if you set up a veg area with cfls :D)

It can be done much much cheaper, but I wouldn't recommend it, complete waste of time IMO (no offense to my brothers who grow with cfl). Here is an example of what you can do with a 250w (first pic in my post)