new to growing worried about detection

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by smoke doubt, Mar 21, 2009.

1. OK This will be my first grow. I have some good info and basic knowledge(anything important you want to add is appreciated though), but I`m worried about avoiding detection. I`ve got a wooded area not super big or nothing, not my land. I have about 15 sprouts already looking nice (that I`ve started to let get sun in the day), What I planned on is to spread them out a lot over the entire area 1 per spot and have them over 100 feet apart maybe more( I want to spread them as muuch as possible over the entire area I`m using). I`m just worried about detection obviously, does anyone have any useful tips? Does what I`m doing sound fine or should I cut the number down? I fig all 15 won`t make it anyway whether some are males or something happens to them(animals,etc.) I was thinking maybe 7 to 8 make it. I have some bamboo that I was thinking of planting in the woods to help with coverage maybe have it near the plant and all over the general area so it won`t just be around the plants. Is that a good idea or not? Sorry about the post being long, and any info. is appreciated. Also of the 15 I have right now 4 had white or clear looking stems and 11 had purple stems, any idea what that means? Thank you for reading this and for any help given.

2. hmmmm. I know I am going to get some disagreement here. BUT... I would try to keep them all in one area for a few reasons. First, ease of care. Watering them is easier if they are closer together. Second, you wont have as many trails. If you spread them over the entire area, you will inevitably have trails leading from one plant to the next. Finally the greater the area, the greater your chance of being discovered. Try to find the best spot in the entire area, one that no one could see you at because of dense cover. (Your bamboo idea might be good for this.) Also Try to make your entrance into this area under trees so your trail wont be detected from the air (if possible). Space the plants at least 4 feet apart and make sure they get at least 5 hours direct sun daily. GOOD LUCK.

3. Just as the big man said above. 15 non femmed = 7-8 females. I'd place them in 2-3 spots and make sure you make no tracks. Weed on a whole area is not a good ide at all: if someone sees one he'll/she'll probably look in the whole area to found them all. And if you have multimle tracks, they'll find them. You must have total faith in your spots so at least 1 or 2 make it to home plate. Keep the general area as virgin as possible. I find spots where I don't need to plant anything else that will need to be watered in general. They're all on eleveated inaccessible places. The only way to know there's weed in my spots would be to spot me in the night (lol) or follow tracks I'm very very careful not to make. It would be like finding a needle in a hay stack. Hence the importance of making no tracks.

4. Thanks for the help. I am planning on being over careful(if there is a such thing) about tracks, take different routes to them etc. The area I have in mind is a small area near my house. It is easy to get to, and no1 is ever back there, no hunters, no kids, none of that. So I`m not worried about being seen entering or exiting or anything as I know the area well. My absolute number 1 worry is overhead detection or whatever. I may be over paranoid about this because it is my 1st grow. I know 2 people who live in my area who grew a plant in their backyard last season all the way until harvest. I live in NC not sure if the have FLIR or just spotters either way it has been my main concern. The main reason I wanted to space them out as much as possible is because of the overhead detection. So I guess what I was asking is how many to plant safely in an area as to not be detected overhead. I think I woulda be way to worried and spread way too thin between all the spots if they were 1 per plant. I like the idea of having 2 to 3 spots. Thanks for the help guys (as well as other info. of yours I read elsewhere that was already helpful). Once again though I`ll be covered enough as to not be seen from the outside, I`m just not sure about the overhead. Plan on transplanting around mid april to may, will go a scout the area a little better(find exact spots I`ll use) weed the area a little. Water will be within 100 yards I`d say. Is that good or do I need to dig a hole and put a bucket in it or something? Sorry about the length and all the questions, and thank you in advance for any reply.

5. I like to take advantage of natural vegetation in my area to help with concealment. Things like putting a plant in a hollowed out blackberry bush, or in a group of cattails. Go out in your area, and just look around. You would be suprised at what you can use to your advantage.

6. Ya, exactly what Corto said. Doing that makes it more likely that they'll find one. Once they find one, they'll look for and find the others.

7. When you say this do you mean rippers or law? The area I have is absolutely perfect as far as traffic goes there will be absolutely no rippers kids hikers fishers hunters or anything. I`m not very concerned at all about anything other than law, which is why I was originally planning on spreading them out, as I figured it would help avoid overhead detection(my main concern). So I guess I`m planning on 2-3 sites that are 100 feet or so apart. I will go out over the next few days and scout better look 4 perfect spots in the wooded area.

8. If rippers or law find two of your spots, they'll keep looking for more. Dividing your 15 seeds(7 fem) into three plots sounds like a pretty good way to go.

edit:maybe two just so if one is found, then you've still got a whole nuther plot o bud!

9. As mentioned in the OP, 15 sprouted 4 were whitish/clear and 11 purple(some dark than others) what does this mean? Sorry about all the questions and being a relative noob, maybe next season I`ll have a lot more knowledge and can be more helpful to this part of the community:rolleyes:

10. whitish clear? you mean green? lol. whitish clear plants, wtf?:confused:

I assume you're talking about your sprouts? I'm assuming they came from the same bag and your confused why they look different? they have different phenotypes because I'm sure the bud ya got em from was a cross of a bunch of different types of pot, and the seeds carry the genetics of different parents or ancestors of the bud ya got em from. hope that makes sense.

11. Yeah I left out the word stem in the last post. 11 had purple stems and 4 had more whiter looking stems. Your answer made sense.

12. I am also a firm believer in one spot. When absolutely deciding on a grow site, you need to consider "Would I be willing to leave every single penny I own here and feel confident it would not be found?"

Now that may seem extreme, but it is the exact method I use. Once you find a place that you are so confident in being secure, there should be little difference in your head whether you grow just 3 plants there or a full 15 plants.

Of course, space issues and some other minor details do apply... but overall, if a site is truly a gem you should take her for all she is worth because they are SO hard to come by.

13. I used to move a lot of powder and the spot I am gonna grow at is where I would stash my shit on occasion. I absolutely know that no1 is gonna happen across my spot by chance. Having never done this b4 I was only worried about overhead detection and that is it. No 1 is gonna walk across it. The only way I will I will have a problem is if it is spotted overhead. In which I`ll be fucked because I plan to be tending to it, topping and LST-ing, etc. I guess growing 3 or 4 in one spot is pretty much= to growing 1 in 1 spot is what every1 is saying. Sound right?