New To Growing. Need Some Pointers

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by RockyMountainHigh, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Before I start, please know that this is my first grow. I used bag seeds, so for all I know my plants could all be male. This is more of an experiment for me. I am not trying to get an amazing yield as much as I'm trying to grow some plants in a stealthy grow box without it getting out of control.

Okay so I started germinating my seeds at 4 AM on May 28th. I put them in some potting soil after germination and everything was going like clockwork. I started them out with a 40W bulb with a blue filter for roughly 18 hrs a day. After they started sprouting leaves, I started only keeping the light on for about 16 hrs but got rid of the blue filter.

It is coming up on about two weeks. They are doing great and I switched them to some bigger pots. I also upped to a 60W bulb. The only thing is now I'm seeing some brown spotting on the edges of the leaves and the stems are starting to get weak from all the rotating and leaning towards the light. I think I may have the light too close.

I'll put a picture up too show you all what I mean. Like I said, for me it's not all about the yield. If you have comments/advice/tips please share with the mindset that I would rather have small plants with shitty yields than perfect plants that blow my cover. I was thinking about trying the SCROG method if they get big enough. 

THANKS GUYS LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!!!!

Rust Never Sleeps....

Attached Files:

2. #2 chep42, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2013
    U can have small plants with nice yields if u do it right with the right amount of lights. 60 w isn't gonna do it. U need more light and closer that's y they are stretchy and shitty looking

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Like chep42 said add some more light if possible, I'd also water them with pH'd water (no nutes yet).

4. And you need white paint or mylar or windshield visor something to reflect that light.. I don't see any type of reflector for the light .. Good luck man

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. i think some regular old foil would work nicley here swell if you cant get the other stuff

6. I've heard foil isn't that reflector honestly I don't know first hand tho.. I bought those reflective car windshield visors .. At the dollar store for like 3 bucks and they work very well.. But if foil is all u have seems like it would be better than nothing .. I look forward to following you on this journey my man!!

7. Thanks for the help everyone! I think I'll make a stop at the store tomorrow and get some stuff to reflect the light and a new light bulb. Say I get a 100 W. Is that enough? will it burn stuff? and how close should I put it to the plants?

8. if its hot on ur hand its hot on ur plants so measure by skin is what i always do

9. Foil is 55% reflective, Mylar is 90%, bright white paint is 85% but can cause heat spots, dull white is 80% but less chance of hot spots. Obviously it depends on what you got to hand and budget alike, but for price and performance I would say Mylar.

10. Oh and lights make sure its actual what's not equivalent if using cfls

11. I've heard foil isn't that reflector honestly I don't know first hand tho.. I bought those reflective car windshield visors .. At the dollar store for like 3 bucks and they work very well.. But if foil is all u have seems like it would be better than nothing .. I look forward to following you on this journey my man!!

12. i use this stuff they make car decals out of alot. its chrome so its just like a mirror lol and you can peel and stick it its not cheap but i have a bunch from when we made the signs and stickers

13. I bought the dollar store car windshield cover today, and a 100 W bulb. I got some rearranging to do but I'll try to throw a picture up when she's all set up.

14. Couldn't rotate the pic but this is the new rig. The light is pretty hot, even up that high. If anyone has anymore recommendations I'm game to hear em! thanks for the help! 

Attached Files:

15. Your light needs to be closer man. If you're using CFL you should only be a few inches away. Your plants are pretty stretched from not having enough light and it being so far away.
    Also, you need some wind. Helps strengthen the stem so the plant can stay up right.

16. Hey Rocky, what sort of bulb are you using?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. As Peely already asked, what kind of bulb are you using? Is it a CFL? What soil, nutrients, pot size and final height are you working with?

Quick tips to keep it smaller:

-Look into LST and Topping methods
    -Consider flipping to flowering light cycle now (12/12)
    -Keep the pot size small
    -Avoid stretching by using CFL lights closer to the tops

18. Damn those are stretching

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. sorry to tell u guys but they died. Went to bed with the 100W goin and when I woke up they were dead. It was just entirely too much heat. I should have seen it coming but oh well. You live and you learn.

20. I seen that coming when I read ur first post

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app