New to growing. Any suggestions and help be greatly appreciated ! :)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Pikey_rules, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Hi, I have 6 plants that I germinated and now have planted in eggcartons until they get bigger and stonger. Im using a spiral florecent light (energy saver ones) until i get a better florecent tube. Seems to be working as the plants are more greener since yesterday and are starting to move towards to the light it seems. I using a lighting time of 22/2 because the light aint that powerful and it seems to be working. I just use regular tap water, it contains no chemicals. I water them same time everyday if the soil is dry, if its moist I dont water them because im afrade of over doing it lol. Pictures are below if i get them attached . Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!! :) also i have no idea what the strain is.

Pictures img_1737 to img_1741 were taken March 22 and pics from img_1742 to img_1746 were taken today

Attached Files:

2. Lighting for vegging you want the blue spectrum. 5500-6500K. You want a minimum of 3,000-5,000 lumens per plant.

Container - make sure you have drain holes, least 1 gallon per foot of plant.

Temp. - humidity 75-78F (lights on) & 5-10 degrees lower when lights off, & 50-70% RH for vegging.

No nutes at this time, not for another couple weeks. When you do began w/ nutes, start at a 1/4 str and work your way up to the recommended.

And watch your PH, you will want to get a PH tester and PH up/down to keep it in check. Optimal pH is 6.5-6.8 for soil.

3. When they are that small I like to use a spray bottle with the mist attachment and water them that way.

4. Thanks for your help :) Also the soil I am using is the same we grow tomatos in so im thinking that should be fine for now . Where can i get a Ph tester? Fish supplys section in some store? I live in a remote area so the stores we have around is very limited. Basicly a Walmart, Sobeys and Home Hardware lol, and there a 45 min drive. I think the light i may be able to aquire at Home Hardware, and maybe the ph tester and stabilizer at Walmart. Ill check anyways. Also should be able to get the nutes at Walmart too. I think i have the Temp and Humidity under control, I got a device that tells me temp and humidity. Temp is usually around 70 - 75 F and humidity is around 80 % range but i have a de humidifyer.

Thanks for your help and the links. I only started learning this stuff yesterday lol.

5. Yep yep, wal-mart will have your ph testing supplies, I would get an electronic one. If you can't find stuff to raise/lower PH, there are other methods of doing this, but gardenig or pool ph stuff should work perfect.

As far as nutes, You will want to be looking at the NPK ratios, N-Nitrogen, P-Phosphors, and K- Potassium. Im assuming your current soil already has nutes in it then. so you should be good untill flowering at least, then you will want lower Nitrogen and higher P and K. One thing that is very nice to have if you can get your hands on it is FINE Dolomite Lime, It will help keep your soil ph balance. PH is a major factor in both water and soil, if its not within the correct range the plant will not be able to take up the nutes.

And for lights, no halogen. CFL's, Floros, HID's, or LED Grow lights.

6. Thats good . Should be able to get most of what i needs at walmart. And ill see if i can get ahold of any of that Lime . I was planning on using florecents but ill see from what selection i can find. Again Thanks for your help Ill keep updating with pictures to make sure everything is going good .

also once they get bigger and start budding , if there females , Im hoping to get mostly females and a male or two. These are in my room which is approx 14 x 12 ft, what would the smell factor be of lets say 2 females, because Im keeping 2 females if they turn out to be females and the rest my buddy are taking.I also have a fan running 24/7 for air circulation.

Thanks Again.

7. As far as smell it is really tough to say, it will vary from strain to strain, some can have little to no odor until later on, while some will be very pungent. Check out some of these DIY's: from - Do It Yourself - Grasscity.com Forums

Carbon scrubber/smell :
    Cabinet size:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yours...mart-carbon-filter-micro-grows-zen-style.html
    Grow room size http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/557994-carbon-scrubber-step-step.html

Lights: this would be suitable for a cab. http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/231455-inexpensive-diy-grow-light.html

But for a full blown room, you would want to be using an MH and HPS I can go more in detail if you need.

8. #9 Pikey_rules, Mar 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2010
    I'm pretty sure im going to use CFL lights . The ones i currently have are 13 watts. 3000K.. How many would i aprox need for about 3 to 4 plants ? also i was reading about the "Blue and red" CFL lites Blue is for growth as the plant follows the light and Red is for when it starts to flower? and it also says that 1 22watt cfl for each plant would work? If you could help me out here be greatly appreciated :) Also im not using a full room , the plants are just in here . I will only be keeping 3 or 4 depend on how many females there are. All males will be taken away. Also if this helps i only plan on letting them grow to 3 or 4 feet. So Once they get to the desired hight, should i start using the "red" cfl to make it flower, and change the lighting period to 12/12?

9. In my grow box i have six 13 watt cfls they are 6500k, and 13 2700k cfls for flowering.

For vegitative growth the 6500k cfl is the best choice because its similar to a metal halide light which is known to be the best for vegging. For flowering you should use 2700k cfls because they are similar to HPS lights (high pressure sodium) which is without a doubt the best type of light for growing weed, flowering especially.

So if you have your heart set on cfls definetly get some 6500k's for vegging and some 2700k's for flowering. If it doesnt say the numbers on the box, it will say Daylight or Soft white. You want daylight for vegging and soft white for flowering.

One 22 watt cfl for each plant isnt really a good idea. A single plant should have about 100 watts. In vegitative growth you could most likely get away with that, but if you try and harvest your plant with only a 22 watt cfl your going to have very week buds, they will be small and less potent then they would be if you have proper lighting.

Good luck man i hope i could help.

10. Thanks for your help :) I got a 3000k 13 watt Cfl now, that should be fine for now while there still this small? Ill pick up the lights i need sometime this week and the other things i need... Also i was browsing the forums and i cam across this picture i posted below. I was thinking of doing the same thing this person did . seems very easy to do and cost efficient. Take a look and tell me what you thinks. :)

Attached Files:

11. Aye, that will work great, but remember, those lights will would only work for a cab grow, not so much for a full room grow. So keep that in mind. But that setup should work great for 1 plant LST'd or 1-2 smallll plants my guess..

12. I will be doing a cab grow. And i plan to have 1 - 2 plants, not overly big plants maybe around 3 feet each in lenght so they would fit nicely into my growing area with lights and other equip. so im hoping the lights will work fine .

Ill keep an update with pictures so i can make sure that there doing ok. They seem fine so far.

Thanks for all you knowledge and help TheCareGiver and Kerbob16. :) :hello: I'm pretty excited to see em get big and strong lol.:smoking: