New to growing - a few Q`s

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by little smoke, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Hi!

I have been lurking around on a few forums and have decided to hang around here, as I will probably be popping for a bit of help and advice through my first grow..

I have not had a go at growing before, but I now have set up a 2.5ftx2.5ftx5ft grow cupboard with a 600w HPS, carbon filter with fan and ducting, I am just waiting for a couple of fans to arrive in the post to pop in there.

I am going to be growing automatics for my first grow so I have picked:

Cream Caramel Auto, Super Auto Sativa, Pineapple Express Auto and Critical Mass Auto

Other than pots, soil and nutes is there anything else I am missing?

How well do carbon filters really work for ordor control? I only ask as I sometimes have visitors to where I will be growing, they would never get to see where the grow would be as there are 2 locked doors between... also with some nice smelling air freshner inbetween the doors to try and help mask.

Obvioulsy I will be trying to avoid the risk so visitors will very far and few between!

2. Hi
    New myself but have about the same set up.I bought a rhino filter 6 inche and you can t smell anything out of mine but only have 2 plants going at a time .Temperature is my biggest problem

3. Welcome to the city! You should be able to grow some very nice plants in that space. As for carbon filters, they are very efficient at removing odor, as long as you have a fan/filter that's rated for your square footage.

Some other things you'll want:
    -pH meter or pH strips (strips are cheaper, but a digital meter is more accurate and will last longer)
    -pH Up & pH Down
    -spray bottle
    -perlite for your soil (autos like it)
    -at least 30x magnifier (won't need until your about ready to harvest, but they come in handy for other things too, such as checking preflowers)

You can also use Ona Gel for odor control. It won't last as long as a carbon filter, but the initial cost is much lower. Here's a tutorial for a Ona Gel bucket - http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/728452-diy-ona-odor-control-bucket-cheap-easy.html

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

4. Ah brilliant, I should actually double check that the filter is up to the job... I am right in assuming that if its not, I could just run a second extraction system with a carbon filter?

I already have perlite and a clean spray bottle (spares from my reptile hobby) so thats sorted, ah stuff for pH.. I forgot about that, got loads of pH strips at work so I may have to aquire a few ;)

Sounds like I could be pretty close to being ready then, before I start I think I might run the grow space for a day or 2 and monitor/log the temperatures that I am getting.

Cheers for the swift replies!

5. Think I might make one of the DIY ONA odor control buckets to have running even though I have a carbon filter... just want to bee 100% certain that my grow will be stealth :)