Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

New to... Everything

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by My Other Self, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Hey folks

Without going in to too much detail I live in California and recently obtained my medicinal cannabis card (it's actually legit -- I've been told it can ease some problems I've been having). I'm entirely new to the culture. I haven't gone to any dispensaries yet or any head shops but I already know I want to buy a nice Illadelph brand bong (I'm willing to shell out the $$ if I'm going to utilize it often).

My questions are pretty simple but to a newbie, when it comes to bongs what am I going to look for? Do you recommend an inline upstem ash catcher? What is "a/c"? Is that the cooling effect that some people do (i.e. by sticking something in the freezer)? I figure I could make myself look like an idiot online but when I go in to the shops I want to actually seem like I kind of know what I'm talking about.

I guess I want the "ultimate bong", simple, classy, with all the things that make smoking enjoyable.

Thanks for your help.

2. wow i wish i could be you. medical cannabis card :( when will australia realise....

3. #3 Verdurous, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    When the US or Great Britain comes to their senses. I don't think Australia will be the first.

4. One of the only perks of living in California (well, besides the weather).

Love the username, btw! :)

5. haha thanks :)
    yeah it would be awesome living there lol. i can just imagine a dispensary.... wow.

6. #6 Verdurous, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Welcome op! :gc_rocks: I can only suggest you pick out a bong you think looks cool, has a reasonable price for your income and is something that works for you. That's all that counts.

7. Don't waste your dollar mate. Pop out and by a pipe (glass peice). Like something like this

[​IMG]

They work charms and you can find a fucking brilliant one for about 30-40 bucks man.

I wouldn't hit a bong for a couple weeks maybe. Go slow and steady man :) Hits on a bowl are the best way. Especially for Medical stuff. If you want to get blazed then go for a bong, but I don't know if that's what you want it for.

Peace from Britannia.

8. Based off of the neighborhoods they're in and from what I've heard from friends they're not the glamorous.

The doctor I got the medicinal card from had his office in a shack behind a concrete mixing facility in the middle of this industrial park. Even the legit places are shady as hell, haha.

9. An a/c is a abbreviation of ash catcher. The upstem you mentioned is very nice, but in all honesty there are so many brands to choose from don't just pick from one company. Goto aqua labs and look at every single one in your price range.

10. Thanks so far, guys. I appreciate it. :)

My friends were big time bong users (even though I've only smoked once before in my life) and I liked the look of them. Do you add on a/c? Also, what's an upstem precooler and a screen slide? Are they necessary?

Even though I'll be buying my stash from a dispensary do you recommend a scale to ration out what I have? Any rule of thumb as to how much you smoke at a time?

11. Just smoke til you feel gooood :smoke:

12. Being new myself, I would recommend a glass pipe, Or a joint/blunt. Or both since you can get rolling machines for like 5 bucks and a good pipe for 20-40 bucks Not including shipping. Plus I would try a bong before you buy. Bongs are more expensive and you would be out more money if you didn't like it. just saying... And I've seen some pretty bad ass fumed glass pipes out there on GC shop...

13. If I were you I'd get a cheaper piece first, just to get used to them and see if you really want a more expensive piece, I know in my case I don't need all the precoolers and diffusers.

An a/c is an ash catcher, it basically keeps your main tube from getting as dirty, making your bong easier to clean and the smoke cooler/filtered better.

If you're going to get a nicer bong I'd recommend a beaker base, they're harder to knock over which is a great plus, especially when you're blitzed and trying to play some Xbox and forget its there.

I'd recommend a diffused downstem, and possibly a bong with a percolator, it'll make your smoke smoother. But for a first bong the best advice I can say is make sure its glass on glass, and don't get thin cheap glass get something thicker so it won't break as easily.

There is a thread about bongs, its here: http://forum.grasscity.com/apprentice-tokers/335267-apprentice-tokers-guide-bongs.html

14. Bongs are overrated.

There, I said it haha.

If you want quality pieces start collecting now. I'll throw out things you should look into.

Vaporizer: heats up your bud using a heater. I suggest a Silver Surfer. I've had mine 2 years and use it all the time. They conserve bud and offer a different high, releasing more cannabinoids than burning it off with a lighter. If you get a whip style you can even get free hash every time you clean it. It is also very very smooth and better for your lungs.

Bubbler: smaller bong, good for concealibility and 1-2 heads.

Gravity Bong: I have a Vortex gravity bong, you get high in 3 bowls easy.

Incredibowl: Cannabis Cup winner a couple years ago. A thermodynamic steamroller, no filtration but you cab taste the bud and also easy on the throat.

If you will be smoking concentrates - hash oils , you should invest in the pieces for it such as a Vape swing, Ti-nail, or my favorite - Eclipse Vaporizer.

Other things you will want hopefully sooner than later:

Lighters - tons if them, they can/will be lost.

Grinder: it will shred your bud for packing into bowls, needed for vaporizer, rolling in joints/blunts

Poker tool - to swizel out ash.

Simple Green for cleaning glass. Alcohol Aldo works, 91 and 99% over the 71. You cab also use the iso for cleaning your vape parts for the hash, also on bud to make hash oil.

Small brushes for cleaning the glass.

Get some papers and blunt wraps, stay away from Phillies/Swisher/Double Platinum and unless you really need it, Zig Zags.

Now for bong help. Definitely get an ash catcher, a dirty pipe takes some elbow grease. Make sure it's percolated in the downstem, buy QUALITY glass, Illadelph is good, I have a bowl in my Medicali. Look also into them and HiSi. A quality shop should have all sorts of attachments so find a bong you like, even if it's simple at first and build it up in the store - they might even give you $$ off.

Don't buy a hand pipe like suggested above, they are too hot IMO. But really I'd buy a small bong first and once you got it down buy a nice one, you'll appreciate it so much more once you see how crappy smoke is without percs and the. You load glass up with them you'll be like omfg I love this. And in the mean time pick up a SSV.

My .02

15. easssssy when you throw out those statements like that. that is def an opinion. as is this, bongs are fucking amazing. nothing gets me ripped like a bong i own every piece he mentions and a bong gets me ripped better than any of 'em.
    but as many other people have said i would start smaller. enjoy smoking off a bowl for awhile, that will suit you more than just fine. save the bong for when your tolerance starts boosting.
    welcome.

16. ^^ meh yeah bongs get you high, I just am tired of them and I just moved back into my house from my GFs and I hid it in her closet for 6 months, vaping every night so I can sleep. I pulled it out 2 weeks ago and it blazed me for 3 days, now I wish I hadn't cracked my heater cover because now I'm without it and have to use the bong or other things I got. They can still be unforgiving on the lungs when you start to form ash on the top.

OP, one thing I forgot to mention is every piece gives different effects and you'll grow immune to it in a way. Like you'll get high still but I guess you get used to it so you start feeling less and less high after a while. It wouldn't be bad practice to pick up 2 now or another in 3 months for variety.

17. Appreciate the help, guys. Any more advice?

18. Another bit of advice is when you go into the head shop do NOT refer to them as bongs or you may get kicked out. Say you are looking for water pipes.

19. #19 ToTheDome, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2011
    Cali Card Holder right hiya,

Uh... You should get..

The Illadelph Triple Coil with Headford Inline A/C (A/C = Ash Catcher)

With an Alex K shower head Downstem

And Illadelph bowl.

What club you goin to? I go to Green Victory and defiantly recommend if your by Hollywood.

EDIT: And maybe you should get a Bubbler :) they're nice, cheap, and give you a Perfect High.

20. dumbest post ive ever seen
    california has over 30000 perks