New to dabbing - I think I'm messing up?

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by streetdk, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Hey everyone, just got into dabbing recently, so I bought myself a new rig today. The nail has a dome on it. Guy who sold me it at the smoke shop said the nail was quartz.

So, I take my torch, heat the nail for about 20-35 seconds (or until it's red enough), put the dome back on, wait about 5-10 seconds, then take the dab.

I'm not getting a lot of smoke though... It seems like I'm barely getting any smoke compared to what I should be getting. If I were to take the same amount out of my friends rig which is really nothing special (some really small $20 one with a ceramic nail), I would get way more smoke. This happens every time, even if I increase the amount I'm using. I've tried heating it for less, longer, or taking it right after and not waiting, etc. but I can't seem to figure out why. I've probably taken over 25 dabs by now, I'm a noob. Using shatter by the way.

I plan on buying a domeless quartz nail tomorrow, but I'm afraid I'll run into the same issue. What am I doing wrong guys? Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Pictures of my rig if it's of any help:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Get a quartz banger and a carb cap instead...way nicer than the nails

3. So you think the nail is the reason why I'm getting poor smoke?

4. I got a free nail that looks like that, used it once and found it was too much of a hassle compared to my banger.
    Same with a ceramic domeless

Even if it's not that nail's fault, you should get a quartz banger, MUCH MUCH MUCH more user friendly

5. Hmm, so I'll definitely have to grab a quartz banger and give it a shot then.

Also, nooby off topic question if you don't mind. What would be the best form of concentrate I could get aside from shatter? In terms of strength, purity, etc. What would you recommend?

6. DIY from fresh plants, live resin is the best (full of those precious terpenes!)

7. Well, aside from DIY. :p Like crumble, hash, wax, etc. But I'll definitely make sure to give live resin a shot.

8. i have a nice banger and even if i take a nice sized glob sometimes there just isnt that much "smoke". just means you absorbed more haha. i dont know why it does that as i can take one the same size same conditions (i time my torching and my wait til it cools) and it can be a big could or a small one.

do you feel the buzz is the real question

• Like Like x 1
  9. live resin is suppose to taste the best but yield the lowest. other then that its just the concictancy of how it was made. i am not sure there is a ptency difference. that matters more on starting material

10. But does starting material really make a difference for bho/wax/shatter? Since the butane prety much only binds the thc wouldnt the pottency of the herb only affect the quantity of oil? Ive made bho with "screened" sugar leafs (only nice crystaly powder) and some with just plain cheap bud both came out looking and tasting the same... Only difference was the quantity

11. Try a titanium nail.

• Like Like x 1
  12. You get other cannabinoids besides thc and cbd.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. I have dabbed a bunch of different nug runs and a few trim runs...The difference in taste and potency of trim run is very noticeable, taste isn't as good and doesn't get you as stoned as nug run, and of the nug runs I get, I will definitely get some on occasion that get me far more stoned than other ones, so I think starting material is very important, the higher THC the starting material has, the higher THC the concentrate will be as long as it is made properly

14. is the dab kinda like exploding and spurting everywhere? you might be taking it too hot, let it cool longer if it is. Get a quartz banger and a carb cap :). You can also use those little silicone non stick wax containers as a carb cap

15. Always on High :)

16. #16 HarveyHarvester, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    High!
    I am a relatively new grower (finishing up my third) and recently made some bubble hash from the trim from first two grows that had been in the freezer for almost a year and needed it out of there.
    So now I have this connoisseur-grade hash from some OG Kush and really don't know what to do with it.
    *note* the one labeled '190' is really the 90 micron.
    1.31.2017.JPG
    I combined the 73, 90, and maybe the 120 microns (cant remember) and is now in a form resembling sand after being forced through a sifter.

Now... I wanna try this dabbing thing and was told elsewhere i needed a nectar collector to do dabs. You guys sound like you know whats up. Can you show me the 'quartz banger' product you are using?
    Thanx!

*edit* realized we can't post links here so guess i will ask google, maybe there aren't too many different types... just hangin' out here while RIU is down.

*edit again* Nope, quartz banger ain't what I need. Guess i will just have to wait for RIU to come back to get product recommendations.
    Thanks anyway.

17. Nice hash bro!...i usually just hit that kind on top of a bowl..quartz banger is for oil...btw how much trim did that take?

18. Thanks!
    I did not weigh it but had a large-size (42.5oz.) maxwell house coffee container full of fresh-frozen.

That is how i have been using it, bowl-topper, sprinkled on a joint, i found just some ashes in a bowl works well.
    Thought i might try squishing some rosin out of it to make shatter... right?

19. Nectar collectors are just a alternative way to smoking your hash, you heat up one end and inhale through the other as you touch it to the hash, quartz bangers are probably the most popular nails right now, you just stick them in your glass piece, heat it up let it cool and plop your glob in and cap it off to help heat accumulate inside to smoke up all the oil.

You should press some rosin out of that hash if you want to dab it.

20. Yes, that is what i am thinking.
    or...
    I bought a flat, glass water bottle to fill with hot water and press it out that way. now i know this is not rosin but would you still dab that? am told the inside will turn a blonde, creamy texture after pressing it this way. he showed me a photo and it looked like a black, fruit roll-up.