New tent setup

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by jimmyd, Oct 6, 2010.

1. What up GC,

Well after becoming interested in the horticulture of this beautiful plant, I read for months, asked lots of stupid questions, built a grow box and dabbled with CFL's for a while. Its been about a year and I decided to get something better going. My new setup consists of,

5x5x6.5 Mylar lined tent from my local shop.
    1000w kool tube
    can filter 2600
    4inch can fan
    Tower ocilating fan

Ive got it setup as follows. Carbon filter~~ducting~~kooltube~~ducting~~fan~~out and up chimney. Its been running for 4 hours now and the temp has been staying around 80 degrees. Im gunna let it run for 12 hours and then check the high and low recorded on my digital temp meter.

Im getting everything dialed in tonight and will throw up some pics tomorrow.

Do you all think on of those small can filter 2600's will be big enough for a 5x5 tent or should I get a bigger filter?

I realize that a bigger fan would be better to but I have a 4 inch can fan and it seems to be working to keep it cool so why the hell I figure. Im pretty strapped now anyways from buying all this stuff.

Let me know what you all think please all input is welcome.

Jimmyd

2. anybody???

3. If its keeping your temps around 80 and not much higher then you will be fine. I got a 4x4x6.5 tent and actually just bought a new 6in fan/filter combo because my 4in was not enough to keep it cool. But my tent is fit into a 5x5 closet and I really needed to up my negative pressure to get the cool air flowing into the tent, and also I have a 6in air cooled hood and the 4in'er didnt fit on it obviously. gl

p.s. I'd sure be interested in seeing some pics of your set-up.

4. I am in the exact same position....which 6" did you go with....I have a 4" i bought a while back and it is working with keeping temps at 75-80 with the lights on but imagine if i could keep them at 74-75 all the time with the lights on so i would never have a chance of heat stress.

Did your 6" make a huge difference in temps?

5. What up fellas,

Actually I just have a 4in canfan running. keeps the temps around 81. Its in a basement thought so the air is cool and I got a wicked negitive pressure happining.

I just burned a fatty, enjoyed a glass of wine with my lady, over lookin the lake in beautiful bc canada. Then went down into the tent and gapped out for a while. I think half the fun with the horticulture of Electric lettus is the thought that goes into it. I love Getting excited about the next thing your gunna buy. Reading on GC and planning your setup. Half the fun for me is the planning and building.

My camera is acting fucky so I will post some pics soon

jimd

6. nice man...sounds like you are living the dream up there in BC

i remember when i was really young around 14-15 we would get nugs and the best ones were always called B.C.s and known as the best shit in my high school was always B.c's...oh hes got bcs or lets get some bc if possible those get you rocked. i later found out they were called B.C's after well British Columbia , Canada

also i am in the same position with my fan and tent setup..it stays around 81 with lights on but i would like to upgrade i just don't need to

7. I'm running a 600W in a 3x3 tent and the temp never gets above 81 with a 6" fan. I have the same setup as filter~~~duct~~~light~~~duct~~~fan. You might want to upgrade to a 6" fan if it gets too hot....why stress them if you don't have to right?

8. Im gunna upgrade to a 6in fan. If a 4in fan will give me 81 degrees, i bet a 6in fan will give me 75-78. Which is where i wanna be. Like you said why stress em if you dont have to.

what i really wanna know is if my carbon filter is big enough to scrub all the odor . Its a 5x5 tent. Im thinking somewhere between 8-12 plants 3.5-4 feet tall. The carbon filter is a can filter 2600 with new carbon in it.

here is a link Can-Filter 2600 4" 94CFM $89 - Bustan

I have no experience with carbon filters so im telling myself I need a bigger one to be safe, but im hoping it will work and scrub out all the odor when im in full bloom.

jimd

9. 12 plants in full bloom will STIIIIINK. That filter should work pretty well but in the final 2 weeks I dunno.

10. ya eh, Thats kinda what I was thinking. Anyone else have any expierence with these smaller style carbon filters? I really need to know if anyone has run one in there tent and if so if there was any smell.

Please put in you 2 cents everyone cause I cant afford to buy a new one right now, so if it wont work im putting everything on hold while untill i can get a bigger filter...

11. You could always supplement the carbon filter by adding traditional scent controlling things like insense or pot pouri (sp?).

12. As long as you have neg pressure all the air that exits the tent should be going through the filter first, thus eliminating all smells. The only way the filter wouldn't do its job is if you hooked it up to a too powerful 6in fan, then it would just suck the odor molecules through the carbon too fast. My last grow I had four very big and stinky plants and with my little 4in fan and small filter contained the smell exactly how it was supposed to

13. a 1000W in a tent isnt the best of ideas.

i wouldnt go any higher then a 400W in a tent, no matter the size.

14. I would be curious to hear why you think a 1000w in a tent is a bad idea? its a 5x5 tent. recomended light size for the tent is 1000w thats coming from the guys at my local shop. The tent is actuall designed to run a 1000w as it has only 6inch ducting. Just running a 4 inch can fan is keeping the temps around 80. if i ran a bigger filter and fan i would get 75-78 degrees for sure. Whats the problem?

15. I think your fine w/ a 1000W in a 5x5 tent as long as your gfoing to vent/exhaust acordingly. I could get a 1000W in my 3x3 with some better climate control.

16. his problem is the heat.... 1000w units put out a tremendous amount of heat.... if your sure you can overcome the heat... than it shouldn't be a problem... it will take alot of air flow though...

you can never have enough light... you can have too much heat

17. So far heat has not been a problem. My test run gave me a temp of 81.7 at the highest. Thats with a 4 in can fan im not sure the cfm rating but i would assume around 170 ish cfm. I would like to change it up to a 6inch fan but then I would need to get a new filter by the sounds of it so I think im just gunna rock it the way it is. Im sure with some tweaking i can get a solid 80 degrees. I would really like to get a bigger filter like a can 33 a keep the 4inch fan.

18. Ok so Im test running the room again for 12 hours as it only going to be a flower room.

Ive got 2 thermometers in the tent. 1 digital inside/outside temp meter with a long probe to go out side. Im hanging the probe 24 inches directly below the light(1K) The reading im getting from that is 81-82 degrees. The meter its self is mounted in the back top left corner, and the reading from that is 78-79 degrees.

Ive also got a regular thermometer mounted about 2 feet off the ground in the back right corner and the temp reads 80 degrees's.

I know i want that temp to read 78-80 degree's directly below the light's but im hoping 82 is fine.

Let me know what you guys think.here are some pics. Im gunna post some pics as soon as I get my camera fixed. All I got is my Iphone and Something tells me posting pics from it is a bad Idea.

19. Also Ive noticed when I go in the tent to work and move stuff around the temp jumps up 2 or 3 degree to about 83.5-84.

That being said is it possible to lower temps if I lower my carbon filter closer to the light? Sucking air close to the bulb?