New tent, not enough light

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by 6inarow, Oct 30, 2014.

1. So I've got a 2x4x6 foot tent coming in the mail, and i know 400w ain't gonna cut the mustard with 4 feet width.

I'm a LST type grower, use soil, and have mostly done single plant grows, but am contemplating doing SOG if I can figure something out.

Im playing with the idea of using a 600w, but can't find anything in cmh. So then I got to thinking about running two 205w philips all start CMH, which run on magnetic pulse start halide ballasts.

So my question is, should I run the 600w? If so, how much more heat is a 600 then a 400? 600 seems to be a great wattage, and options out there are great for bulbs, but bulbs get a bit pricey at the 600w range. The pros to that are more light and be able to cover my new space properly. Is 600w overkill for a 2x4 space? I love to scrog and LST, mostly LST.

Now if I decide to run two ceramic metal halides, I'll be at 405w for bulbs, will be a lot cooler, temp wise, and I can have even light distribution with two light sources. The downsides are magnetic ballasts, multiple ballasts, bulbs will be about 70 each, and I would need to find two identical hoods to house the new bulbs.

So what say you blades?

2. Go with the CMH setup as soon as you've got the funds to do so.

3. So I decided to go with two 205w philips allstart cmh. It'll be cooler then a 600, and each light can cover a 2x2 footprint. Not near the same lumens, but heat is why I can't go 600.

Now I run into another question with dual bulbs. Should I maybe run an hps and cmh? Side by side? Start cuts on te cmh side and end on hps side?

4. so much work dealing with the heat. I came on to look and see what you are doing and all I can think is the crap you are going to go thru with the heat. so glad i am not there anymore. Look forward to seeing your grow.