New sprouts don't look so good, help?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Gadzala, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Hey folks last week two of my seeds starting showing above soil, they were looking good, but they've seemed to stop growing, on both of them the first two leaves (roundish ones) got all brown and fell off, I'm watering them pretty regularly, not letting the soil dry out until it builds a few sets of leaves like my others. However they are not looking very good, and it's been a week.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/98/img05041r.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/221/img05071.jpg/ ~ Wouldn't let me attach a photo.

Please help me save these babies :(

2. The leaves are curving upwards, does that mean they're getting too much light?Or not enough? Im pretty sure they should have enough though.

3. I don't think light is an issue here, mainly because if they're that size and they're not receiving adequate light they'll stretch out in order to get as close to the source of energy as possible.

The cotyledons shouldn't have fallen off yet as they provide nutrients to the plants for their beginning stages of growth, and typically stay on until it has a couple sets of true leaves if your soil contains a sustainable amount of nutrients for the plants. You really don't need much to start out a plant on the right foot, just some EWC, peat moss (dolomite lime if it's not made to be pH balanced like ProMix or FFOF) and perlite, vermiculite, pumice, or rice hulls, and possibly a source of humus.

Tell me what your soil mix is like and give me an idea (or take a picture) of the size of the jiffy pots you're using and I'll try and assist to the best of my knowledge.

4. They have a nice color to them but it looks like your soil doesn't have much perlite in it which means the drainage is poor. You should really let you soil dry out a bit before watering again. If you are having any problems this early then its usually a clear indication that there's something wrong with your soil or watering habits. Don't water until the top 1 inch is dry to the touch.

5. Bingo. It looks overwatered to me, think about it, when you drink water... you gotta stop to refresh yourself, breathe, and then drink again, if not... hours later, right? It's the same with the cannabis seedlings, they don't need that MUCH water, otherwise, it'll keep drinking water until it drowns itself, if not, suffocate the roots, causing early root rot. I water my seedlings every two or three days as I mist them instead. Try letting it breathe a bit.