New Solar System found

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by 1Trismegistus1, Feb 2, 2011.

1. silly aliens and their antigravity

2. I think it would be jumping the gun to trash the current idea of how solar systems are formed due to a single unique case, I mean in a universe so large theres bound to be something very out of the ordinary here and there :D.

3. Does it piss anybody else off that science still uses the word "impossible"? Almost every big discovery/invention humans have made in modern history has been deemed impossible at one time or another.

4. get that shit out of here:mad:

5. not really, mainly because the people that use words like impossible are also telling you they know jack shit about the subject.

I'm doubtful of the accuracy of the quotes in that article. Here is another one that covers the same thing.

Spacecraft Sees Signs Of 1,200-plus Worlds - Science News

One step closer to proving how common life is in the universe.

6. Lets try not turning this into a religious debate now dudes :p

Cool link bro, at the end of the article there's a link to a load of photo's of space, a lot of hubble's snaps, is it me or does looking at them just kinda put you in a daze?
    The shit out there is fucking amazing :eek:

7. I love seeing big discoveries like this. I hope to see a lot more stuff someday.

8. Then there's the planets' size. Five are larger than Earth but smaller than Uranus, the next-biggest planet orbiting the sun.

Ha, your ass is so big, wait a minute...

9. It makes me think about how a person here on this tiny little planet, in a far off section of this galaxy, in a tiny little speck of this universe, first imagined the idea for two things: First that there is a math that describes how, with a collection of gas and dust there could form large bodies made up of that gas and dust; Second, that another person dreamed up an idea for a device that could collect the light from that body of gas and dust in order to prove or disprove the first person's idea.

And then that that is only step one in the whole process that found these planets in a whole other tiny section of a far off galaxy in another part of the universe.

:smoke:

p.s. and then that there is most likely whole other species out there that has that same exact thought although it may have been in different words and from a completely different process, both in it's evolution and the way it expresses itself.

man what I would give to be able to travel through the stars.

10. I don't see whats "impossible" about it. Sure it's amazing we found a bunch of planetes rotating a distant star, but really I don't find that suprising. It's just like the asteroid belt except it happens to be in the possibly earth temperature like zone of the star and all the mass has compacted into 6 bodies. Hell the asteroid belt here has 3 large bodies in it.

I don't think this is "back to the drawing board" it's more like confirms what many had hypothesized that stars can have various configurations of planets orbiting them, because who realy thought that every star had a replica of our solar system orbiting them?

11. That's not implied anywhere.

12. Its the very first sentence in the article

13. lol what? Did you try reading? Sometimes I think you don't even read my posts but just automatically bias yourself against them to try antagonizing me.

14. Not there. But how we currently understand planets to form from the orbiting gas/dust of a protostar, it is not very logical.

15. #35 Dryice, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2011
    No.

It does not say anywhere that cosmology or astrophysics has been completely dismantled by this system. A lot of things in our solar system seem impossible to exist until we understand them. This solar system really doesn't blow my mind considering many other phenomenon in the universe. This doesn't somehow blow up science, as the "back to the drawing board" post insinuated. I wouldn't feel the need to respond with 'bias' if you weren't posting with it.

16. Exactly. If they were educated scientists (I know that sounds weird) they would realize, In the Universe, ANYTHING is possible. We only know science based on our Solar System and the shit that floats around in it. For all we know, We could travel 200+ light years and wherever we end up, might have different everything. The other SUN we find could be Blue or Green for all we know, and it could make alien plants grow to be 700 feets tall. If they have winged creatures, they might fly slower, they might fly faster, due to the gravity on those planets.

I don't feel like Earth is perfect for us, I feel that the Human race is perfect for the Earth (Again, that sounds weird). Because it seems like everywhere we would go, Humans might exist (That would be insane to see what a Jupiter Human would be like), Or life for that matter. Out of all of what the Universe has to offer, how can people be so ignorant to dismiss other Earth-like planets, Solar Systems, and not only if life is possible, I know there is life out there. We are not an exception.

17. They don't say anything is possible because some people will take it out of context and go completely the wrong direction with it. Everything is really just a set of odds if it could happen or not, things that have odds that are huge against some will say are impossible because the amount of time that would be needed for the chance to get closer to 1 is longer than the universe has been around. Of course that is still possible but it is EXTREMELY unlikely and we might as well call it impossible.

And just a note, it would have to be outside of our visible range rather than the 200+ light years away. So far everything we have seen has proven our theories about our universe. All those things you talk about are possible in our universe, we just don't see them here because the situation is better to make us rather than the 700 foot tall flying manbearpig.

It's because they have no idea about the subject and are just making a random guess based on ignorance. Like saying, "If there is life out there why haven't we seen it yet?" Not knowing how large the universe is, or how far away the next closest place is even around us. I have no doubt life is out there somewhere and it's only a matter of time before we see it, but I also think the most common version is just a sort of bacteria or virus rather than sentient beings (although they are out there also, just much rarer).

18. I didn't imply it completely dismantled their theories, but simply that their theory as of right now may not be correct, aka "back to the drawing board", and that maybe one day people don't judge everything that doesn't correspond with their current limited findings as impossible, and instead look for ways that it might be possible.

19. Oh, one more quote

20. just search closely for anything that could resemble the makings of a previous ozone layer. :p