New soil....

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by TNhomegrown, May 7, 2016.

1. So I recently made a thread on some soil an a few other things... Instead of spending the money of ffof I went to Home Depot and picked up a few items to throw in my soil... A bag of perlite and a bad of dr.earth organic fertilizer; while I was there I saw they had the Kellogg's patio plus potting soil. I recently read about that soil and people were head over heels about it... Should I buy the ffof of Kellogg's... Which would be a better buy... I have perlite, earthworm castings, dr.earth organic, and some manure to add to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. [​IMG] and this is what I just picked up tonight. Gettin a bag of earth worm castings tomorrow. What else should I add. I got one medium six bag of perlite to add for drainage.

3. What I have found with that kind of soil is that it needs peat moss to fluff it up because it is made from wood processing scraps like bark and saw dust and regular soil so if when you can squeeze it if it sticks together it needs to be fluffed up. perlite helps but it still needs something to fill in between the large and small pieces but still breath. A dry complete fertilizer like Rainbow mix because there isn't much food in those and pot is a very hungry plant.

4. I'm also adding earthworm castings, manure and compost and alfalfa pellets

5. alfalfa will get hot when it breaks down so if you don;t have time to let it work don;t put it in the mix just make a tea and water it in.what is overlooked in soil mixes is air/space for roots to grow into and for microbes and other critters that live in the soil and drainage so if there is no air the soil gets water logged and dies nothing grows well in it. you still need air and that's what a good course peat moss will add.

6. That's what I've been told and have read! Prolly one thing I'll do next year! And yes I'm getting a 3cuft bag of that today to add to 4.5cuft of soil and potting mix. Throwing in some dried coffee grains, blood and bone meal, manure and compost, earthworm castings, and a lot of perlite and we're going to hope for the best at my first grow.

7. Starting with some good cheaper items. It's my first grow so I'm learning everything about soil and everything it needs. Next year my soil will be a lot better and prepared. Got to start somewhere but yes I prolly will use ffof next year.