New Shed Grow

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by calidude, Sep 26, 2011.

1. I have a 10x12 shed (tuffshed) in my backyard which has 120v from the house coming to it. I planning on using it as a grow room instead of storing my lawn mower and junk. I have a lot to learn before I can start. I got a few questions if you all can help me out:

First off, should I drywall the inside and seal it properly so that it won't smell outside? Or should I go with a tent setup instead?

How many plants can I fit inside of it so that they won't be all tight together?

Since it's my first grow, is it better to do dirt or should I go with hydro?

What's the typical yield for each plant?

Will there be anything noisy that can be heard by visitors to my house or neighbors?

Thanks in advance.

2. Eazi

I would be inclined to build a room inside ur shed aswell as a tent, n insulate it! The main reason I'd do this is to create a cleaner room, maybe cover it with something u can wipe down n clean easily so mould spores can be kept in check and pests have less hiding places, also a well insulated room should maintain a more regular temperature I think, as for the soil/hydro decision I'd go for soil first time till u get an understanding of the plant and how it responds to various things. I've never grown hydro but i can remember on my first attempt I was overwhelmed with all nutes temps ect as it was so could imagine hydro being even more to think about.. U might be braver than me tho lol! The amount of plants really depends on how long u want to veg them for, for example i use to have a 1.2m2 tent, on one grow I had 4 plants and grew them bigger and on another I had 9 in the same space grew them smaller to get a quicker yield .... Hope this helps a bit

3. Fans can be a bit noisy but u can build a box to house it in to reduce the noise also saw a dude that had hung it on rubber straps ( looked kinda like the innertube from a push bike) to reduce vibration an further noise, as for the yield it's dependent on the strain and growing conditions also grower ability and ull probs get a better yield with experience, I came away with about 1 1/2 oz per plant when I had 9 can't remember what I got when I had 4 but it wasn't to much different

4. If you use the whole shed you cram as many plants as you want just remember the rule of 100 watts for the 1st plant and 50 watts for each plant there after even though a 100 watts a plant is best. If you do the whole shed are you going to split in 1/2 for veg and flower? Or do it all veg then all flower. If you do 1/2 veg and flower tents maybe easier.
    Also you left out the height of your shed but your fan needs to circulate the air 3 times a min to insure fresh air to the plants and no smell leaking out. Get a carbon filter. And since your shed is so large the fan will be loud so you may want a muffler.
    I would recommend soil it allows for more mistakes and allows you to fix what you did wrong. Very friendly to 1st time growers. Hydro you need to know what your doing and know it well. Or you will kill all your plants also air pumps can be noisy.
    Yield depends on many factors like strain, stress, nutrients and how often you feed, veg length.
    Don't forget to make it light proof. I have been in plenty of sheds and when you close the door there are light leaks. And in the summer you may want AC because it will get hot in there as well.Or in the winter a heater.

Good luck
    Hello

5. Good idea Madbuddz, I will definitely be using fans so this will help.

6. I was planning to foam insulate from the inside at the seams, then put insulation and drywall. The top of the shed is open so I'll have to close it off, but will be running the air ducts up to it. I've heard about how hard hydro is so I'll do soil, I have some experience with it outdoors but not sure how different indoors will be. I'll try 4 plants first.

7. i'm planning on doing all veg and then all flower given i'll only be doing 4-6 plants. i want the plants to have as much yield as possible per session.

btw my shed is around 7ft high.

8. #8 pedrowarez, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2011
    I'm already in the process of building myself a grow shed as I live in a modular home that's not very big.

I'm on the mobile app so forgive if I get my descriptions out of order.

Here's a few pics...... :)

First is of the front room, a place for my tool boxes and stuff

Second room is veg and lastly, the bloom room

Pics of the lights intake and exhaust(will do 90 drops right thru the ceiling)

A cutout for the 1 ton AC. Dedicated 110 and 220 outlets for AC.

I allowed for room behind the swinging door for 2-50 gal poly drums(H2O), and will refill them as needed VIA a Pex line I ran. Above the tanks will be RO units. The pic of the switch and plug will allow me the run a pump for cycling or transferring of water to/from and whatever else you could think to use it for.

Ballasts will be SAFELY mounted vertically, off to the left side of the water tanks. I have also included dedicated 110 and 220 outlets for ballasts.

Lastly, is the electrical main box. Gotta hookup the main power supply now. :p

I'm running a CGE with co2, 2,000w in bloom, roughly another 800-1,000 in veg. Carbon filter will suck air from bloom into veg, then passively pass back to bloom on other side veg VIA a blackout box.

Ok.....maybe that'll give you some ideas. ;)

I gotta get going to class soon, best of luck!

btw- pocket door has 1x's on each side, and weatherstrip for light protection. Saves space and is very light proof. Fans are 6" Active Air can fans, one for the XXXL magnum hoods and one for air circulation between the rooms. They have very short runs and move about 400cfm each. I'm running roughly 62.5w per square foot in bloom.

Attached Files:

9. I'm jealous.