New RDWC grow after 5 years away using SonoFarms MAXX PRO 8 640w LED

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by JerryInDFW, Apr 9, 2021.

1. #1 JerryInDFW, Apr 9, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    Hi!

I'm back! Dumped apartment living, left the big city and moved north and bought a house in a quiet little town. Weed is legal here as of last week, but there's still that paranoia reflex. SMH.

Anyway it's a totally fresh start. All the gear is on order and on the way, so no pics yet.

The initial system will be a 60x60x80 tent, 6" ventilation gear, and 4x 5 gal RDWC. I've had good results with DWC in the past. With the RDWC I only have to fool with one reservoir rather than individual ones. All going into a small spare room, and I'm putting in 6000btu AC to keep things chilled. No heat issues this time! Going to stick to the General Hydroponics Flora-Series for main nutes.

I was torn between either a 3000 or 4000 watt LED panel. Ended up with a Mars Hydro TS 3000W. If that seems as if it could be better, I'll go bigger for the next tent.

It's great to be back! Looking forward to seeing some old faces and many new ones! Screenshot_20210409-161622_1.jpg

2. Dam im jelly. Congrats on the move.

I loved rdwc. Too bad Im no-till soil now!

• Like Like x 1
  3. I'm so excited! Deliveries lined up all next week beginning tomorrow with the tent and vent stuff.

Of my old seeds, these are probably the best bet. I grew one of these years ago in DWC and it was superb in spite of my just so-so setup. They're feminized as you can see. Plan is to pick up or maybe build a cloner to keep the genetics going. Eventually there'll be a second tent, and probably a good local market for clones.

4. I'm so excited! Deliveries lined up all next week beginning tomorrow with the tent and vent stuff.

Of my old seeds, these are probably the best bet. I grew one of these years ago in DWC and it was superb in spite of my just so-so setup. They're feminized as you can see. Plan is to pick up or maybe build a cloner to keep the genetics going. Eventually there'll be a second tent, and probably a good local market for clones.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Couldn't get the last post to take a photo. Can't figure out how to delete it yet either. 20210410_101353.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. #6 JerryInDFW, Apr 10, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    Oops!

Suddenly realized that these Strawberry Haze beans are full on Sativa. While that's wonderful, it's really no good for an indoor tent. I think I'll put a couple in the backyard, along with a Frisian Dew. So on plan B.

All of the seeds in my seed bank are old AF - like 2013-2014 old! I ran off on clones after that and never had to dip back in. I'm sure hoping they germinate, so I'll pop some extras for outside in soil just for backups. I was going to use the paper towel thing to pop these, but decided to wait a couple of days for the GroDan cubes to get here. Always had good results with them.

6. Okay, so fingers crossed. Still a few weeks to get plants outside. If these beans don't pop I'll have to rush order some from The Vault.

If the photos go in properly, the beans on the left will go outdoors. They mostly Sativa, and I wouldn't want to fool with training them to fit in a tent. At least until I have a very nice stash put up.

On the right are the ones in hoping for indoors. The ogre fees are autos. Not a huge fan of them, and it might be hard to extract a tangled up early finisher from the longer ripening girls.

I have a couple of interesting old strains from Barney's Farm. While looking them up to refresh my memory, I saw a couple of comments about their plants flipping gender. Might keep one of them in mind if the outdoor things go well. Some Pineapple Chunk sounds very tempting right about now. 20210410_124149.jpg 20210410_124250.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S9 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  7. Well hell! I sure screwed up my measuring for the 5x5 tent in that little spare room!

Easy to see in the first picture that the ceiling fan is in the way. Yikes! So I removed the fan fixture and ordered a surface mount fixture. Picked it up this morning.

It was a gold plated pain in the ass to install, with old, inflexible wiring, and lacking a proper outlet box. Plus I needed to run out for drywall anchors. Anyway, finally got it installed, and I'm pretty happy with it. It's LED, and only uses 19w for 1200 plus lumen. And dimmable if I want that.

That threw my schedule off a little. I'll get the tent up later tonight or first thing tomorrow. Planning on having the filter and fan outside the tent, so no real instalation to speak of. I think the LED panel arrives tomorrow and that's easy too.

The RDWC is set for Thursday. Also another easy install. Want to run it on for a couple of days since I can't find a chlorine remover I want to use yet. 20210412_101608.jpg 20210412_183319.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. So an update...

Got the canvas up without too much fuss. This thing really fills the room! But I'm kind of happy with it. For a mid-priced tent is very decent quality.

I've grown weed in much crappier tents. I'm not sweating any light leaks, and I used to be pretty casual about light management. Never had a female plant herm on me yet. If one does, it means shit genetics IMO.

I love that I can stand up in there! That's temporary, but still.

Just a couple of pics of that Mars Hydro TS3000. Not the greatest light in the world, but it'll grow some great bud. Packed super well. Some minor assembly required. I put it on the meter and it's pulling 420 watts on full blast.

Not going to do much with ventilation (Hopefully). Going to see if I can get by with tapeing the fan and filter together, and running the duct up to one of the ports. Opening the low vents on the opposite side and running the AC should be enough and easy to dial in.

Tomorrow I'll build the RDWC setup. I'm hoping I don't have to cut a hole in the tent somewhere.

Still waiting for beans to pop. Three I put in paper towels last week after a 24 hour soak have done nothing. I'd like to see some results in the other eight I put in starters today by next Tuesday (420!), but if I don't I'll likely order the best genetics I can from Colorado, rather than fool around waiting and worrying about an overseas shipment, and delaying getting plants going. 20210414_190309.jpg 20210414_222103.jpg 20210414_191756.jpg 20210414_224040.jpg 20210414_222028.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  9. So what happened after I contacted those Mars Hydro people was they replied that I should remove the plug from the bottom of the two drivers (After unsecuring them) and stick a screwdriver in there to adjust the output to where it's supposed to be.

Seems to me they should have done that over in China. Anyway, IMO that just demonstrates sloppy QC, and who knows what else might be wrong. When repacking it I found a couple of tiny screws that hold the driver mounting plate to the standoffs. I reattached them, and it's on its way back. It probably would have been okay, but I'm already starting later then I had planned.

10. I was watching some of those guys on YouTube who get these companies to send them gear to test in exchange for keeping the light or whatever. Most ask for a full grow cycle, but I didn't see many who actually hung in there until the end. Hell, I can do better than that.

So I tried schmoozing a couple of the better companies for a "Loaner" to do a documented trial, figuring I'd be perfect for it since I'm not an equipment dealer or have any affiliation with professional outlets. Haven't grown anything in a few years, have most of the beginner goofs behind me, and I'm using all new gear with proper climate control.

Again this was something I should have tried several weeks ago. So I ordered a light I should have next week. Hopefully some of my old seeds stock will have popped by then, but if they're not showing signs of life by Tuesday I'll order a killer strain and grow all the same breed indoors.

So this is what I ordered. I think this should be enough light for that 5x5 tent. Picked up a bunch of miscellaneous stuff like surge strips, extension cords, timers and so on. The AC was on the porch when I arrived home, and I'll get that installed in the near future. I don't need it right this minute. Screenshot_20210416-151103_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg

11. #12 JerryInDFW, Apr 16, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Wow! Mad props to both Amazon and Sonofarm!
    I pulled the trigger on that light at around 1511, and got status from both Amazon and FedEx that it had been picked up and was on the way an hour later. Unreal! Also ordered some other stuff from the Grainger online portal and Zoro shipped with a couple of hours. I honestly love this online shopping!

12. Went rooting around in some stored boxes looking for remnants of any grow tools I still had. Found both meters - my cheap TDS meter and my good pH meter. How good? It's been packed in a box since 2017, and in the garage since October 2018, summer and winter. Turned right on with 98% battery remaining. The TDS needed a couple of batteries to fire up.

I have calibrating stuff out there too, and I'll dig those up tomorrow. Checked the pH of the tap water, and it was like over 12. Seems high.
    20210418_180832.jpg

13. Well, the pH meter crapped out from improper storage. It'll cost almost as much as a new meter to replace the bulb. So I'll order something new. The TDS meter is fine.

• Like Like x 1