New Quantum board qb96 V2's are out from HLG. Cob replacement fixtures

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Tbone Shuffle, Sep 26, 2018.

1. 20181018_190450.jpg my driver showed up. I probably won't build it until this weekend I'm too tired.

• Like Like x 2
  2. You've been one of the most informative and helpful in bringing attention to these new systems, much love! If you find the patience for those of us who haven't yet made the leap, a tutorial and cost breakdown of the new build might tip the scales. Thanks again for your input and example.

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I just got around to figuring out how to hang these today. I have a method for less then $5.
    IMG_1090.JPG IMG_1092.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  4. [​IMG]
    Ok you got me with those leaders[​IMG]
    By $4.99

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @ I love growing weed

5. I just had a brainstorm today in the electrical isle about an easy method for hooking up the power to and out of the driver.

Just use 3 prong extension cord rewire kits for both sides. You'll have removable UL approved indoor connections in a sealed environment that are easy to put on. They have screw terminals so hard for anyone to screw up.

Just buy a two male ends like this. Leviton 15 Amp 125-Volt 3-Wire Plug, Orange-R51-515PV-0OR - The Home Depot
    [​IMG]
    Buy one female end like this.
    Leviton 15 Amp 125-Volt 3-Wire Connector Orange-R51-515CV-0OR - The Home Depot
    [​IMG]

Put a male end on the input wires for the driver right on the driver cord. Put a female end on the driver output.

Put the remaining male end on your light fixture. If you wire in parallel you can use the screw terminals on the plug adapter to tie the boards together. You can then use any extension cord you want to run from the output of the driver to the fixture. You can run it outside of the tent or keep the driver inside with a short 10" cord or so. The connections at the output and input of the driver would be all screw terminals and fully disconnectable at any time. You could also add a longer cord to the input or output of the driver if need be. I would keep it under about 25' on the driver output to keep voltage drop at a minimum.

6. That’s a great idea. I used one on the plug end because I mounted it close to the plug, and used crimp on quick disconnects to the boards. That way it can be separated and removed quick and easy. I just crimped the qb96’s though

7. Sort of the same thing but I used cheaper hangers that are shorter and longer screws with nuts to space the hangers wider apart. A pack of 6 of those 9" long trout leaders is $1.99 at walmart. A pack of 3 of the swivels I tied them together with is $1.99. Pack of screws was $1.14. It's actually cheaper then $5 if you're hanging multiple. I already have enough screws and swivels for the second heatsink. I just had to buy a second leader pack and I ended up with 2 spare.

The swivel is a 40 pound test and the leaders are 30 pounds each. Plenty strong enough.

8. I like the idea of just having an extension cord between the light fixture and the driver. Makes locating the driver outside of the tent very easy and safer then DIY wire and home done connections.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Use 3 prong cords. Use the small prong for the positive and the large prong for the negative. 3 prong plugs will keep you from mixing up positive and negative on the output of the driver side. You can't plug them in backwards.

I have a great idea for tying my boards together in parallel. I have an extension cord with two female ends on it. I just have to go buy another male and female. Then I can make it work. Might have to make a trip to walmart.

If I do it that way the parallel connection to my boards will take place in the end of the extension cord. I just have to put male ends on both my boards. If I only plug one in it will get full power from the driver. Plugging both in will split the load from the driver.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I got it lite up. It's bright. Just don't plug them directly into the wall. There's another plug on the end of the cord for a third board if I need.
    IMG_1093.JPG IMG_1094.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  11. Got that gangster lean. Day 26 since flip to 12/12. IMG_1098.JPG
    IMG_1099.JPG IMG_1097.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  12. What are those.. HLG-65’s v2 or suttin like that??

13. They're new boards out from HLG. They're $99 each with a heatsink and each board can take 4.2amps @54 volts with no fan. That's not even max. They're very high current boards. 250 watts each with no fan max and up to 325 watts with fans on the heatsinks. They also have some red leds.

QB96 Elite V2 Engine

• Like Like x 1
  14. Can i run it with no heat sink at about 50% power.. its more for extra lighting not for main use.. ill be using the 300w of tru led power then this for the backup that might be needed for max flower potential in my small 2.5x2.5 tent

15. No way. These things are powerful. I’m running 1.5 times the wattage through two of the qb96elite v2’s as I am an entire 4 qb120 Light. And I’m only giving it like 1/2 power

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

16. Im ready i sooke to the wife and its a go.. il look for the link u sent me acouple days ago if not ill find a way of getting it.. but i ordering today.. thanks to u, n im happy with my choice thanks @Soil2Coco

• Like Like x 1
  17. It’s on htg supply. Called the agromax 65 I think

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1