New Quantum board qb96 V2's are out from HLG. Cob replacement fixture-Replacement Thread **BS here**

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Or_Gro, Oct 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ya I saw that. I took that as I would reviews on Amazon. They change depending on who is using/testing it. Ur prob right tho. Was just hopping to get something with a lil less math Involved. You had me skimming the pages looking for something that stood out that would say hi, get me

2. No math = Convenience = $$$$

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Debatable question but I would say it's always a better idea to wire in series if the driver is a perfect fit. Unfortunately there is a limited selection of current and watt ranges so wiring in series and hitting a specific target current level for each load is sometimes a challenge.

If you have to go to a parallel wired driver to have a more optimal current range thats one thing but if the current levels are all equal on a multiple board fixture especially with more boards the series is going to be the better option.

If course single board/single driver is neither series or parallel so it doesn't matter. Series and parallel are the two basic ways to wire multiple loads on the same circuit.

3 main reasons why series might be better is: Especially when talking about low volt range boards your working voltage is going to be many times higher in a series circuit. Higher voltage produces less loss from resistance in the entire circuit or more that a higher voltage has more potential to overcome that resistance. Since you're starting at a much higher voltage the loss is a much smaller percentage.

When comparing 54 volts to 108 volts it isn't a considerable difference at all but when you start comparing 24 volts in an 8 board build to 144 volts or something like that if you went in series then it may be 5% less resistance. Haven't done the math that's just off the top of my head. Still not the largest concern. If you have a 24 volt driver with a more optimal current range for what you want it might still be better.

In series the driver will put out the voltage load the leds need to turn on and that's it. It's automatically sensed. Parallel could require voltage adjustment to be right at optimal forward voltage.

2nd series wiring with constant current will prevent thermal runaway of the loads. This is not an issue with HLG boards for the most part though.

3rd it simplifies wiring. You usually only need a splice at the driver positive and negative if your boards all have connectors.

My favorite driver for 4 qb132's is the HLG-320h-c2100a in series dimmed about 10-20%.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Thanks man!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Anyone know at what approximate LUX do our plants need to stay in veg?

I dim my 132’s all the way all night(I know I can just give them an hour mid darkness)and I have another flowering plant which was 10’ away but worried I moved it 20’ which is now slightly less than ideal sunlight conditions.

If I knew I could make sure both were very happy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 100-300 small plants
    300-600 regular veg
    600-1000 flower

? I think that’s it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  8. I think 30,000 Lux is around 500ppfd for reference

• Like Like x 1
  9. @Or_Gro is never gonna let you live that shit down lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Thanks mr wizard never would give me a straight answer I think I’m over the line somewhat at 118,000

@Dry Sift Box and The Clamshell

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Lemme explain my question better,my garden is outdoors with eight 132’s,I dim them at night because my neighbors don’t like the sun at night.
    Outdoor plants in veg require a minimum amount of light so they do not produce hormones which flip them into flower.

I’d like to figure out if at what distance the LUX measurement from my garden will cause my flowering plant to revert back to veg.

So two rare questions;
    1)how much light minimum is needed to keep a plant in veg and happy?

2)how much light is safe for a flowering plant?

12. Maybe just add a few strips of duct tape to cover some led’s?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. I posted this aftetnoon, this, even spon fed the summary page:
    http://fluence.science/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/High-PPFD-Cultivation-Guide-9.27.16.pdf

I posted the conversion factor....

Maybe you can do a little part of the solution...

Whaddaya think?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. I think i remember seeing that a single cangle light is enough to send a plant into reveg.. so i would think its just enough to keep it in veg.. i think that answeres ur first question..

As for question 2.. are you asking for a flowering plant during lights off to not revert it back into veg?? Or asking for a flowering plant during light on hrs??

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yea I’d say so lolol

That’s the reading I get at like 12” I think if I remember playing w this Lil app. Anything past 120,000 Lux and it just jumps to the millions and maxes out

• Like Like x 1
  16. And I read it,appreciate it too.
    I do not believe that link pertained to my questions at all.
    And my second attempt at explaining my questions obviously did not work.

If you grow/veg a plant indoors 20/4 and transplant it outside this time of year it will flower.
    That being said,these plants now outdoors will need more light than Mother Nature can provide.
    I have my 132’s over this garden as accessory lighting in addition to sunlight which are dimmed after sunset so they do not bother neighbors.

Now I have a light meter,and my question is what is the minimum LUX my new meter needs to show to keep them in veg happily?

Now in the same backyard 10’ away I have another rolling smart pot #30 with a plant 6 weeks into flower,my outdoor garden has the 132’s and if I’m not careful the 132’s can illuminate my flowering plant with too much light (LUX#?) reverting it back to veg stressing it which is not good.

This is not a common scenario,it’s not an easy question to answer.
    I’m sorry if my first two explanations were not clear,this is prolly not the thread to ask anyways.

17. Both questions refer to a specific LUX reading on my new toy.

I normally use a 14 watt cfl with great success keeping my plants outdoors happy in veg,wondering about an exact LUX reading.

Question #2 is what LUX reading is the max threshold a flowering plant will tolerate and happily stay in flower?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Bumping for @Tbone Shuffle

• Like Like x 1
  19. Wondering if I could get some input real quick trying to dial in my temps. So I’m running six 96s at about 140w each (840 total watts) in a 4x4 and my temps are at about 90 degrees. I understand with co2 I can run higher temps but I’d like to get it down to low to mid 80s.
    My question is, if I run nine 96s at lower watts can I lower my temps a little since they’d each be running cooler? Or is 840 watts still 840 watts worth of heat no matter what? Although with nine I’d probably be under 840w. I don’t mind buying another 3 lights because I will be getting another tent or a bigger grow space in the near future.

• Like Like x 1