New Quantum Board QB144 V2, Sabre 100 & QB 3 Far Red

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by 61falcon, Apr 2, 2019.

1. I dont get the new qb144's.. I mean being 3inches x 2.75 and running them at 75 watts each , ya its 300 total but as far as coverage goes they cant cover even half of what the qb132's do when qb132's are same volts but at almost 12x9 boards.. ? I guess they be good veg lights or good to flower a plant or 2.. The added reds and the fact u can crank up the qb96 elites makes them special being small boards. Being u own sum elites il ask u bro but whats ur thoughts on buying just the boards they come with thermal pads. What if id just buy sum small self taping metal screws and mount the Qb96elites and pad to sum 1/4inch -3/8inch solid 6061 alum square stock? How hard do u think id b able to run them? Only reason i ask is im trying to save the xtra 40 it cost me if id buy the sstx sink combo. The board n pad are 79 each. I no its only 40 dam dollars but hey these darn kids are eating me out of the house .. Lol it help pay for driver if i could go that route. Wood like to at least run em on 240-54 or better yet 2 elc-185-54, instead pay 90 for 320-54.. Just curious of what u got to say bout that? Thx for ur time dude, ur allways my go to guy with these quantums!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Just bought 8 of those QB144V2's. HLG's site recommends using HLG-240-1750 driver on 4 of them in series. Picked up two HLG240-1750 (1 driver per tent, 1 QB144V2 per tent corner) to run the boards up to 60W each. These should do great at the corners of the tents! Nicely priced for what you're getting. Had to source the heat sinks from eBay but so what. 144 x 4 top end diodes for $125 each. Damn

3. With the LUX meter QB324V2's at 160W each isn't enough to reach the corners, even with two HPS in the center of the tent. These QB144's will do nicely in the tent corners at between 50-60 watt each.

20190406_113445.jpg

Can't wait to update my footprint figures, take a look:
    [in 4.54' x 4.54' tent, 17" height QB324V2 @ 160W, 400W air-cooled HPS at 19" height]

footprint_light.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  4. Check with tbone but i believe u can run 4 of the 144's on a lrs-350-36 like i am doing for 8 qb132's. That driver is 35-40 bucks. Parrellel wiring and itl get u to 75 watts a board..? I no u bought ur stuff allready, just was letting u no bout the cheaper driver. They need to make a 4 pac of qb132's with added reds imo. Or a 288 with reds and blues added? Just my 2 cents worth good luck bro

5. They don't want to make a board that does it all. In 6 months none of it will matter anyhow. Everyone will be upgrading to the v3.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Good looking. The HLG Meanwell was $60 each and is recommended by HLG, so it wasn't that much more. I don't want to run these boards too hot as I already will have 2 x 324V2's runing between 150-165 Watt per board and air-cooled HPS lamps as the work horses. These are more for corner lighting. I almost went with the 320 watt driver for these four borders, but again, I don't want to run that much juice thru them with what's already available in each tent. These are great deals though!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I like the HPS/LED Combo.

• Like Like x 1
  8. @norml56 Thanks bud! I grew up on HPS. I believe that is offers a great spectrum, great lower plant penetration, and heat benefits needed in controlled doses especially for CO2 injection. I see some injecting CO2 and then using space heaters with their LED lamps to bring the environment to an ideal range. Whats the point of having highly efficient LED to then have to plug in heaters to waste electricity. While HPS is less efficient on a u/mole per watt or lumen per watt basis, it's my opinion that it has many other benefits from light spectrum, to light intensity and penetration especially, mild UV benefits, etc.

So much talk on here and other forums about HPS vs. LED -- why not take the best of both together in the same setup? Glad to see you agree!

9. Day 1 of flower. Still recovering from a massive supercrop.

• Like Like x 2
  10. In a 4x4 wall to wall. 10 gallon fabric pot. 2 pounds no problem. Way more then that if you want to count larf closer to 2 1/2 to 3lbs. Not kidding. I just put a pound and a half of just larf from my last plant in the freezer for my water hash washing machine.

Try doing that with HPS in a 4x4 with 600 watts.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. You would need 1000 watts of HPS to come within 75% of what I'm producing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Damn @Tbone Shuffle that's a tree lol... nice. Life goals there haha. My 132 v2's arrive in 2 days, can't wait to get my show on the road. Are you runnings your qb18's before the stretch?

13. I'm just running them with the bloom lights for now. Emerson effect. I'll dig up a timer tonight I think and get them on a sunset schedule.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Don't get me wrong LED's have their place. In the first flower tent (4.54 x 4.54) there's 2 x QB324V2's running between 150-165 watt each and just ordered four QB 144V2's to run around 50-60 watt in each corner. But I still think HPS has it's place. It offers superior penetration, improved sprectrum including UV, and better heat for CO2 injection like in mine.

Flower 1 tent: 4.54' x 4.54': 2 x QB324V2 (150-165W each) + 4 x QB144V2 (50-60W each) + 2 x 400W HPS cool-tube. CO2 on Saturn 6 controller.

Flower 2 tent: 5' x 5': 2 x QB324V2 (150-165W each) + 4 x QB144V2 (50-60W each) + 2 x 600W HPS cool-tube. CO2 on Saturn 6 controller.

I'm not saying that LED's aren't more efficient and a superior technology, I'm only saying IMO that both forms of lighting have something of value to offer which is why I chose to blend them for SOG grow style.

15. That is so much more electricity then you need. If you went all in with leds you could cut the power way back.

16. #37 cgeisler5, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    How many watts per sq foot do you use?

This puts me at between 63-68 watt per sq foot with 21-24 of that being LED light. For CO2 injection I figured that was about spot on?

Since there are two HPS cool-tubed lamps in each tent, I suppose I could run only one HPS lamp during the first 2 weeks and last 2 weeks of flower, maybe run the LED's at their peak during those periods. Then During the middle 4.5 weeks when CO2 concentrations are highest run both HPS cool-tubed lamps and dim the LED's back slightly? Plants benefit from added heat with higher CO2 concentrations. What do you think?

17. I use about 35-37 watts per square. Maybe up to 40. That is higher then most people run with qb leds.

In a 5x5 typically two 600hps's is about all you need. I have a friend that grows in a 5x5. He started out with two 1000 watt hps. That was too much so he switched to two 600 watt hps. Now he's covering the same area with 3 qb260's and two additional 120's. Less then 900 watts. Better crops then ever. Your 5x5 is close to 2000 watts?

To me your watt per square foot totals seem quite high. Do you use a light meter to check your top of the plant readings?

• Like Like x 1
  18. @Tbone Shuffle that's good info. I'm changing things up a bit, so every bit of added info is helpful. My issue is that when I use my LUX meter the corners of the tent do not have adequate lighting.

Check it out -- this is with (2) 400W HPS at 19" height plus (2) QB324V2's at ~165watt per board at 17" heights:
    footprint_light.jpg

This is what prompted me to purchase some QB144V2's to run at 50-60 watt and put them in the corners. Even with the added LED's in the corners that still only puts me between 21-24 watts per sq ft of LED depending upon whether we're looking at the 4.54' x 4.54' flower tent or the 5'x5' flower tent. It seems like that isn't enough light, especially with CO2. What do you think? You have me considering using the LED's plus only (1) HPS lamp in the center during the first couple and last couple weeks of flower and then maybe both HPS lamps in the middle of flower? I'm struggling a bit... grrr lol. Worse yet the grow style is SOG and I'm trying to get an even light canopy within a margin of 65-70% range for even canopy results. I figure a little air-cooled HPS light may keep the temps slightly elevated for what CO2 requires while also providing a bit of penetration to the canopy at the base of the SOG. I appreciate your input!

19. #40 norml56, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    One way to find out. Run that SOB through a cycle. You can guarantee you'll be happy with the results. There are so many other factors that will affect your yields besides the light. If you have all those other factors figured out then focus on the light. I've been tossing around the idea if buying another 5x5 tent and throwing in my 1100 watt hyperarc HPS. Does it cost a bit to run, sure, but you can't deny the production.

• Like Like x 1