New purchase, safety concerns ballast/light combo

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by majulen, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Hello

Purchased some equipment from a guy downsizing his home.  I bought a ballast, 2 bulbs, reflector and some other supplies.  

He advertised it as 1000w system.

I looked at the bulb boxes and saw 1000w, but I failed to look at the ballast till we got home.

He stated he used this setup for 2 cycles.  

My question is, its a 600w ballast with 1000w bulbs.  They power up fine, but I haven't left them on for any amount of time after I noticed the ballast.

Is this safe?  I would think once it fires I just wouldn't get the (obviously) output max from the 1000w bulbs.  I read all over multiple forums before coming to post here, no one seems to have had a concise opinion or experience where they could explain accurately either way and why. 

Below is the Equipment:

Lumatek 120/240 600w digital ballast.
    Yield Master II 6" Supreme Reflector
    MT1000B-D/HOR/HTL-BLUE Hortilux Blue MH Daylight Grow Lamp
    LU1000B/HTL/EN Super HPS Environmentally Friendly Grow Lamp

Thanks for any insight!

Attached Files:

• 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      517.7 KB
      Views:
  2. ... I THINK this is alright.
    Pretty sure it'd be bad if you had a 1000w ballast with a 600w bulb.
    But with your setup I think you're just not getting the most from the bulb, like you said.

3. does it work normal?,the 600W ballst is half bridge topology structure ,the matching lamp voltage is 80-120V,but the 1000W lamp voltage is 250V,I think it can't work normal,maybe the lamp will go out

4. It works, but I haven't left it on for any amount of time.  He says he used all 4 items for 2 cycles.  You never know if people are telling the truth of course.  He may have just rounded up different equipment with spent bulbs and sold it as a bundle.  This is why I'm leery to run it.

5. Got a local grow shop around? They'd probably have more experience.

6. Did you buy this equipment from someone you don't know?

HID bulb performance deteriorates over time. A lot of people get rid of their bulbs after 2-3 grows.
    Some people will sell off worn out bulbs :mad:

[​IMG]

7. If you're that worried, be spent anyway just buy new bulbs.

8. get the extra gear for a second set up so you have both a 600 and a 1000.  you need a 1,000 watt rig and 600 watt bulbs.

9. Safety first buy the correct bulb for the ballest. Does it have the correct fuse installed no telling what the previous owner did to keep it running, I would expect the ballest to trip on OL at some point. Best case you will shorten the life of the lamp and the ballest . Worst case  it appears their ballests are UL and should not start a fire when it takes a dump.

10. Replace those bulbs with the proper
    Ones for the ballast, not following guidelines like that will burn your place to the ground. Don't Fuck with electricity!
    Sent from my SCH-R760 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. keep the ballast and bulb away from the flammable things ,buy the new lamp maybe make your plant grow better,

12. The pros and cons here should have answered your question.

Sent from my MB865 using Grasscity Forum mobile app