New Project!

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by snapilladelph, Jan 23, 2011.

1. What's up GC!!! First post ever. I've been searching the forums and I plan on building a micro stealthy cfl grow box. I have never done anything like this so I just want people to know I am a total n00b. The dimensions of the box are 18"x18"x36" for one, or possibly two plants. I have drawn up some basic plans but had a couple questions.

First, what type of bulbs should I use for vegetative and flower growth and how many? Second, what grow medium should I use? I was thinking of using a simple potting mix and adding fertilizers. Thirdly, what is the best method for air circulation? I was thinking of using 120mm pc cooling fans and wiring one for intake and one for exhaust, both with carbon filters to eliminate any smell.

Please help me out, I would like to start a project soon enough for the holiday season :bongin:

2. I know this isn't much help, but sadly carbon filters on computer fans only last a few days :( and for the lighting, I'm not 100% sure but you want 6500k cfl lights for vegging (atleast one per plant) and 2700k cfl lights for flowering (again, atleast one per plant) and you want to go into flowering when the plant is 1/3 the target size.

I am trying to find a way to improve the carbon filter for a pc fan, should see something in the next week or two

And welcome to the city! Hope you enjoy your stay

3. Bummer! I should do some more research on a more efficient carbon filter. As for the lighting, your probably right I shouldn't need more than one or two at the most. What types of bulbs should I get though?

4. For the lights, since you don't have that much grow space you are going to want to buy CFL lights. They are the new twisty lights that save energy. You can get them off eBay for cheap. I'd link it but I'm on my iPod right now. But if you search "6500k 2700k cfl light" it should turn up results. Get whichever you want

5. Right. Two 6700k cfl's for vegetative and two 2700k cfl's for flowering. What wattage!? I'm having some trouble finding mylar at big department stores, especially in my area. Does anybody have any other suggestions for reflecting light in my box besides matt white paint? I found an emergency blanket that is made out of polyethylene and was wondering if that could do the trick? I don't see why not, visually it seems to have similar characteristics to mylar but I just wanted to make sure before I start anything.