New plants slow growth any help

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by armstrow, Nov 5, 2009.

1. 2 WW feminized and one lemon skunk Feminized sprouted about 4 days ago. One of the WW is starting to turn yellow, and the other and the Lemon Skunk just seem to be growing real slow. Its a closet grow under 270watts of actual CFL Power(5500k) In plain UNFERT soil, PH level is between 6.5-6.8 On the three plants. Should they be that small for 4.5 days and why is the ones leaves starting to turn yellow. Am I missing something? PH seems good, unfert soil, lots of light, in 3 gallon pots

Site is not allowing me to add pics and I dont know how to show you. Any help on this for a first timer please

2. It could be because of too much heat. Do you have proper ventilation?

3. its about 75 on average throughout the day in there

4. the lack of any fertilizer is probably not the problem since they're so young...but you might wanna start giving them low doses of Fox Farm or Advanced Nutrients nutes

Also, just make sure you aren't over watering. With sprouts like yours, you should water once when you plant them, then not again for 3 days <- this is the most common mistake that new growers make (assuming you're new)

5. I am very new, first grow. Yes 2 of the plants leaves are drooping down towards the ground i know i watered them to much, will stop until soil drys out. That can be helped. What is up withmy one plant though. 2 of teh 4 leaves are yellow.

6. overwatering can cause yellowing/drooping of the leaves. ph between 6.5-6.8. is a little too high. A good range for soil is 6-6.5. You'll want to bring that down before it causes too much damage.

I wouldn't give them nutes until they're at least 2 weeks old, otherwise you'll burn them. They're roots are too young and cannot handle ferts at 4 days old ;)

Are there drain holes in the bottom of the pots your using?

GL
    Doin'

7. It's probably a deficiency of some sort of nutrient...I just don't know it right now. I suggest that you let your soil really dryout, then when you do water again, use a low low dosage of ferts. (maybe a little higher dosage for the yellowing sprout?) Again the best fertilizers IMO are Fox farm and Advanced Nutrients

8. Yeah You're actually right about the nutrients. If you are going to use nutrients so early on, use a very very low dosage...its just that his soil has ZERO nutrients which can't be good for it either.

I'm gunna have to disagree with you on the PH though. 6-6.5 is best for hydro grows but 6.5-7.0 is best for soil grows...I think his ph is perfect

9. well, we could probably argue about this all night. So let me say this.
    1. there's enough nutrition from the seed itself to get the seedling through about 10 days of healthy life provided the right conditions - good ph levels, not overwatering, good temps, etc... So the seedling should be just fine without adding nutes.

2. good ph for hydro is 5.8 - 6.0, and good ph for soil ranges from 6.0 to 6.5. However optimum ph level for hydro is 5.8, and optimum for soil is 6.0. These ph levels allow the plants to take the nutrients that they need to grow nice and healthy producing big fat buds.

you might want to do a little more research ;)

10. yeah you're probably right about the fertilizer issue. and clearly his problem was the overwatering...You are wrong, however, about the PH. If 6.0 works for you in soil, then go for it. :hello: but I've also some grow guides that would reccommend 7.0 ....In reality, here's what's best. [​IMG]

11. Hockey.....slow ur roll partner...
    youre out of your league... charts dont make a gardner, experience does...
    now...I have that do you???
    she is spot on my friend.... as even ur chart shows 6.5 is good... all these charts are for a guidline, some strains react diff and most find that 6.-6-.5 is best for the mj plant..

no seedlings need nutes for 10-14 days...none what so ever...
    then 1/4 strength for a week after that.. so clearly saying there was a deficiancy was way off base... This is classic over watering period...

let them dry my friend and ur babies will bounce back....

12. There's no need to degrade me by saying "I'm out of my league." :( I already admitted that I was wrong about the ferts so there's no need to repeat that.:eek:

In terms of PH, yeah I think that his PH is in a good range as 6.5 is optimal for nutrient uptake...not that it matters right now cause his plants are getting no ferts.

Experience does not simply overrule science. Obviously every plant, soil, and grow is different. If nutrient uptake is best at 6.5, then the plant will PROBABLY grow best at 6.5

13. didnt mean to degrade you my friend...
    I think maybe you took that wrong...
    just saying that she is right and clearly you agree...

my apologies;)

14. Thanks haha. I love how everyone on this site resolves conflict so easily. It says something about the marijuana and growing community. Time to light up:smoking:

15. can I ask you guys if overwatering would make 1 of the plants leaves turn yellow? they all look a little droopy but on one of them the leaves are turning yellow

16. yes, overwatering can cause the leaves to yellow.

GL
    Doin'