new plant, no nutes yet, nute burn??

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by rule-utilitarianist, Nov 20, 2013.

1. i have a 2 week old Northern lights plant that is showing signs of nute burn. I have not given it any nutes yet, i have also not over-watered or under-watered it. It's planted in fox's farm ocean forest so i know the ph of the soil is right, my runoff is testing right at 6.7. My water is testing at a perfect level as well so i'm at a complete loss as to why it's exhibiting these signs. I have a CFL lighting setup that is 3 inches away from it and has more than plenty of ventilation.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated !!!!!

Attached Files:

2. Ocean forest is pretty hot for young plants. I cut my ocean forest with light warrior for my seedlings but than when I transplanted to 5 gal containers with 100% ocean forest I got some light nute burn on 2 plants even before I thought about adding any nutrients. Check out my journal if youd like to compare (I post daily updates with pics if you want to find my plants at the exact same age)

3. yikes! what would you recommend i mix this soil with ? 

4. She should be fine. Just do not add additional nutes and give her some love and she'll outgrow it. Light Warrior is fox farms seed starter soil, I found the 50/50 mix with ocean forest worked well for my seedlings for the 21 days until I transplanted into the full ocean forest.

5. thanks for the info, your grow journal was EXTREMELY helpful with a ton of questions i have! Do you think it would be recommended to mix 50/50 for when i transplant? (a week from now approximately) or just at that point stick with the 100% ocean forest?

6. I would use just the ocean forest when you transplant but I highly recommend adding some perlite or similar for drainage. I kick myself for not following that advice, they are doing just fine but the drainage could be better. Once they are a month old they will have little problem tolerating the ocean forest, I found that 2 plants were perfect and 2 found it a touch hot.

7. forgive me if I am wrong as I am a first time grower. Im hoping i have been learning and what im about to say makes sense ;) lol so hopefully someone experianced can chime in as this is something that confused me as well.

I think its a PH issue. which is often confused for nute burns/deficiencies since

you said your runoff is 6.7...if what ive researched is true, than the water your watering with is probably about 1 to 1.5 higher a PH than the runoff. meaning your watering with 7.7 to 8.2ish water which is not the reccomended PH for watering. every point higher or lower with PH is supposedly a difference of like Ten fold!

again theres probably a lot more to this if it is true. im hoping for some clarifacation as well.

8. Looks like mag deficiency give it some epsom salt or molasses

9. My water is around a 6.9, which is damn near perfect. Water is neutral and is normally exactly 7. It's showing signs as if it were highly acidic not the other way around so the PH i don't think is  the problem, but i could also be misinterpreting what it is your trying to tell me. Also, how does new soil, especially fox's farms ocean forest, already be lacking nutes?

10. It's getting worse by the hour and it's pissin me off at this point. Any help is greatly appreciated, I think i might just have to start a new seed in some ocean forest mixed with some perlite or something like that so the soil isn't too hot.... if that is the problem. I'm kinda pullin my hairs out of my head lol

Attached Files:

11. im a firsty too. I started some clones in ffof  and encountered  the same issues Ieven added a more perlite at 1:3. the ladys made it through and are doing great now just dont nute them up for 2 more weeks or so. then they wont come back ffof was recomended by my local grow shop for the clones but i dont think i wold go that route next time for the clones.

12. Gotcha, for clones would the oceans forest plus perlite be a great start for clones? I'm just tired of not having a successful grow (most problems are from soils) either being too hot or coming in too acidic.....etc. 

13. #13 kingkelly91, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2013
    When I did it it worked out fine. but, There was a few signs of nute burn in the first week or two. The lady's are healthy now and doing great. Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

14. Rule, that's weird man. And I know how frustrating it can be. Do you know what your water's PPMs are? I know when I was growing in soil (hell, I still do it for hydro) I would let my water sit out for 12-24 hours to let the chlorine or any other bullshit burn off before I used it to water. Not saying this is what's happening here, just trying to add another possibility. Regardless, if it was chlorine or some other dissolved solid in your water causing it, I would think your water would have to be extremely high PPMs. Hope she bounces back!

15. I'm not sure what the PPM's are but I do know that I have city water a.k.a detriot water facility treated water which is one of the best water treatment facilitys in the country and i filter it through a brita filter AND like you said leave it out for a minimum of 24 hours to let the chlorine evaporate. I unfortunitly ditched the plant becuase the growth was almost completely stunted and was showing signs of too much nitrogen, nute burn etc. I'm germinating another seed and im going to start it in fox's farms light warrior and transplant to ocean forest with about 20-30% perlite. Thanks again you guys for all the help, I have defiantly learned a lot !