New PC Recommendations?

Discussion in 'General' started by BuddhistBrian, Mar 19, 2012.

1. #1 BuddhistBrian, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2012
    I have some pretty good discounts on computers through my job. The companies I can buy are Dell, Apple, Lenovo, HP, Toshiba, and Sony. I need a desktop and I'm willing to spend $600 or less, no monitor necessary.

But heres the catch... Ya know that PC stash spot? I really want the convenience of that. My stash is hard to reach right now. Can all desktops do this? Only special ones? That's why I need your help guys!

2. Please don't post it in a different section because of the number of responses. This is what kills sub-forums. You would increase the activity of that section and most likely get higher quality answers.

3. [quote name='"Vicious"']Please don't post it in a different section because of the number of responses. This is what kills sub-forums. You would increase the activity of that section and most likely get higher quality answers.[/quote]

Yeah but it's all about the stash spot, and that's General material.

4. build one. you could build a pretty decent computer for $600. certainly better than a bought one for the same price. like with $600 you could build a PC capable of playing Battlefield 3 on medium settings which is pretty damn respectable. and if it can do that it can do anything.

5. You're going to spend $600 on a stash spot? If I find you a cheaper one can I keep the change?

6. [quote name='"Vicious"']

You're going to spend $600 on a stash spot? If I find you a cheaper one can I keep the change?[/quote]

I don't own a working computer right now either. The GC app is all I use now.

7. [quote name='"BlazeLE"']build one. you could build a pretty decent computer for $600. certainly better than a bought one for the same price. like with $600 you could build a PC capable of playing Battlefield 3 on medium settings which is pretty damn respectable. and if it can do that it can do anything.[/quote]

I know it sounds like a cliché but I don't have the time to learn and build a computer.

8. Can someone answer my question though? Lol

9. The only way to get a PC with a big enough stash spot is to build your own. If you order anything from a vendor they are going to cram as much shit as they can in that small case.

You don't know how to build a PC? That's ok, you got any friends that do?
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw]Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 1 - Choosing Your Components - YouTube[/ame]

You could get a massive case and have decent hardware for the internals and save room for a stash spot. TRUST ME. It needs airflow though, so you can't clog it all up on the inside. Of course you could always get a liquid cooled system and cram all you want.

10. If you can't be bothered to do it yourself then just go to walmart and buy whatever.

Enjoy getting ripped off.

11. [quote name='"FirstTimer4"']The only way to get a PC with a big enough stash spot is to build your own. If you order anything from a vendor they are going to cram as much shit as they can in that small case.

You don't know how to build a PC? That's ok, you got any friends that do?
    Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

You could get a massive case and have decent hardware for the internals and save room for a stash spot. TRUST ME. It needs airflow though, so you can't clog it all up on the inside. Of course you could always get a liquid cooled system and cram all you want.[/quote]

I don't have any friends that know how to build a PC. I just thought I could get away easy with just buying one with a stash. I have a strong feeling that if I try to build one I'd fuck up so hard. I don't think I can trust myself with that responsibility haha.

I'd only have to hide a pipe, 3oz jar, lighter, eye drops, and a paperclip bowl stirrer.

How hard is building a PC? Is it worth it? Can people that don't know much about hardware do it? Can you fuck up so bad that it would cost hundreds to fix?

12. if you can follow lego directions you can build a computer. its not nearly as hard as people think it is. you can also go to places like compusa and they have prebuilt custom PC's or you can have them build it for you (for a ridiculously high price). there are only 5 or 6 main components and its pretty much impossible to fuck up as long as your careful and follow the directions that come with the motherboard. plus its a learning experience and you can say you built it. its like rolling a joint. which is better one you rolled or one someone else rolled? without any previous knowledge you can build a PC in an afternoon.

13. It's not that hard to put it together, but the hardest part about it is probably installing the drivers/OS onto the computer and attaching some of the stuff to the motherboard.

Your best bet is to just find a good, sealed tuppaware or jar and put all that shit in and hide it in your room. You're really not going to find a PC you can buy from HP or Dell that has enough room for all that without disturbing anything.

14. yes, the people at the stores will be able to help you find the best components for your needs within your budget and answer any questions you have. the only thing that is a bit sketch is when you're dealing with the processor but as long as you have a steady hand you'll be fine. and if you wont be doing any gaming you could build a very good non gaming PC for like $400. the graphics card is one of the most expensive components and you only need one if you're gaming.

actually if you're not gaming its even easier to build because the CPU cooler comes with thermal paste already on it so you dont have to worry about applying it. just the basic rule with computers is never force it. everything is designed to slip right in.

15. Hey man, I am pretty stoned but I am in college for computer programming on spring break xD. If your price range is about 600$ I wil customize one from HP's site. For that money you should be able to get 4gb ram, a 1gb video card hopefully 7200, Decent sound card (You should upgrade this later lots of Pc's have really shity ones are it's hard to avoid) and then everything else you don't really care about. if you need anything message me and I will help you out ^.^

16. or you could build one and have 8gb of ram and it will end up being cheaper.

17. [quote name='"BlazeLE"']

or you could build one and have 8gb of ram and it will end up being cheaper.[/quote]

So where can I find these parts? I only see full pc's on compusa?

18. #18 BlazeLE, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2012
    well the website wont help you if you dont know what you're doing. idk where in florida you live but here there are compusa. where in florida are you? if you're close i could help you for some gas money and a smoke out lol.

oh i totally forgot about the barebone kits they sell online! http://www.compusa.com/applications...its&cm_sp=Masthead-_-Computer Parts-_-Spot 02 they come with everything you need to build your computer and look at the prices. and some of them are pretty damn decent.

edit: if you arent gaming get a mother board that has onboard graphics. it will be a lot cheaper and it will fulfill your needs. and you can always add a graphics card later on if you want to.

19. You will not build a cheeper computer fr 600$ that is a common misconception. Let me lay it out for you. 8gb of ram is about 50$ which is a great thing to add after the fact but not reason to build your own. A graphics card goes for about 150$ -200$ (Mid range), a Hard drive (1tb) is about 70$. A processor is about 200$ -250, a mother board with 4 ram slots and at lease 2 PCI express card slots is about 300$ those are pretty much all the same. This is without the sound card, USB ports, CD drives, THe case, Mouse/keyboard, screen, fans, power supplys, and quite a bit of other small things and we are alreaady over 600$

Besides 4gb of ram isn't to bad.

20. [quote name='"BlazeLE"']

well the website wont help you if you dont know what you're doing. idk where in florida you live but here there are compusa. where in florida are you? if you're close i could help you for some gas money and a smoke out lol.[/quote]

I'm over in the Sarasota area how about you? I could just go over to compusa too.