New Orleans Parade Shooting

Discussion in 'Politics' started by belts, May 12, 2013.

1. Well, another attempted mass shooting seems to be the case.

Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun

It's extremely upsetting to see the occurrence of mass shootings rise so quickly. It's also upsetting to see that this event will be wrapped up in 'gun control' political debates in a matter of no time.

Happy Mother's Day. :rolleyes:

2. Idk sounds about right for New Orleans

3. Insanity

4. Ban all guns! !

5. Ban New Orleans!

6. Katrina continues to cause chaos.

SOMEBODY TAKE AWAY HER GUN!!!

7. Obama don't care about black people!

8. Shouting!

9. I'm from New Orleans. We're often the murder capital per capita in the United States.

This is nothing new. People shoot people in New Orleans all the time.

I have yet to see any statistics that suggest that shootings/killings are increasing on a national scale.

Don't be a victim to a mainstream media scare! Don't assume.

10. There is no rise in violence.just a rise in people hearing about shit

11. By the way, in New Orleans shootings are not "News" per se.

12. Just in time to distract everyone from Benghazi...

13. Alright, Kanye.

14. duh...

15. #15 belts, May 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2013
    In 2012 alone, there have been 7 mass shootings successfully orchestrated. That's more than any other year since 1982 as this study shows. US Mass Shootings, 1982-2012: Data From Mother Jones' Investigation | Mother Jones This does not include the attempted shooting in the Clackamas Mall in Oregon. While my statement is not an official statistic, the evidence shows that the rise in mass shootings has increased.

People shoot people everywhere. Does Louisiana have the highest gun violence in America? Sure. But the incident that unfolded today does not rest on the same scale as the 'shootings' you claim happen "all the time". Does Louisiana, specifically New Orleans, have gunmen opening fire on a crowd during a city wide event often? Well, I sure hope the answer is no.

16. Pretty much every Mardi Gras, one or two Halloween weekends ago on Bourbon st, the parade when the Saints won the superbowl. We used to hear gunshots from the dinner table occasionally.

I haven't had one family member or friend who still lives there text me or call to tell me about this oh so uncommon tragedy.

Your link isn't the best, by the way.

"Not only is Mother Jones's decision to disqualify cases based on certain criteria hard to defend, the criteria themselves were not necessarily applied consistently. Mother Jones included the 1993 Chuck E. Cheese robbery/massacre of four people committed by a former employee, but excluded the Brown's Chicken robbery/massacre of seven victims that occurred the very same year, presumably because two perpetrators were involved in the latter incident or perhaps becausethese gunmen had no prior connection to the restaurant.
    Mother Jones also eliminated massacres involving family members, even though they too can involve large body counts, such as the massacre of 14 relatives and two others by R. Gene Simmons of Russellville, Ark. in 1987. Other massive shootings, like the execution-style slaughter of 13 in a Seattle club in 1983, were ignored because of their relation to gang activity or some criminal enterprise. Particularly mystifying is the decision not to include cases involving multiple perpetrators yet to waive this condition for two school shootingsNotwithstanding the questionable motive-based selectivity built into the Mother Jones analysis, it seems odd to ignore shootings with large death tolls just because there was more than one shooter or because the shooter was related to his or her victims. These incidents are no less devastating to the families and communities impacted by the crimes.In other words, the Mother Jones team built a data set with restrictions specified for no obvious reason. Then they ignored those criteria if they threatened to exclude a case that obviously "should" belong, like Columbine. The result is not a database of mass shootings; it's a database of mass shootings that Mother Jones wanted to include in their database. It tells you nothing about anything, except maybe the prior beliefs of Mother Jones staffers."

Department of Awful Statistics: Are Mass Shootings Really On the Rise? - The Daily Beast

They just selectively chose their data for their agenda.

17. #17 ProvidencePlant, May 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2013
    Rate Of U.S. Gun Violence Has Fallen Since 1993, Study Says

Mother Jones has a rather heavy leaning left bias, there might be a little confirmation bias there. ;)

18. I appreciate the articles both posted by you and Providence. I haven't read those articles, but, I am not in the dark about the drop in gun violence throughout recent years. There is no refuting that evidence.

The credibility of the source is not the subject of the matter. What Mother Jones has included is enough to prove my point. There have been more mass shooting attempts (successfully or not) in the United States than an other year previously. I recant my statement at the end of my first paragraph as I did incorrectly say the rise in mass shootings has increased. I intended to say, "The rise of mass shootings has spiked in 2012 alone; showing that 2012 has had more mass shootings than any other year in recent history." Because it has. There have been more in 2012 than in any other year.

(The source I had used, Mother Jones, was a quick choice in order to prove my point, despite its bias data. Even though it is bias, the evidence shown is enough to still prove that there have been the most mass shootings in 2012).

Just because you haven't had a family member text or call you about this incident doesn't take away the severity of the event? That's a close-minded view of the situation. Also, where I attend college (Philadelphia), I hear gun shots frequently too. The commonality of an attempted mass shooting? Not so much.

To yurigadaisukida's statement, the latter of your statement is true. It seemed as if nobody gave a fuck about the Bourbon St. Halloween mass shooting in '11 other than those affected or near by when it happened. You can blame the ignorance of the general population for that one. The implication I receive from that statement is that it is bad that more people are aware? Correct me if I am wrong. The Bourbon St. Halloween shooting is similar to this event, and, was more unfortunate than today because 2 died.

Regardless, the situation that occurred today only continues the trend of mass shootings that have become more common since 2012. While I feel the commonality of a mass shooting has risen since 2012, I do know that the odds of being a victim of mass shooting are some of the slimmest odds out there. When you said "Don't be a victim of a mainstream media scare" raises a good point. The media's portrayal of mass shootings are nothing but scare tactics. What scares me is the unknown. Since mass shootings have spiked, it is now the question of where will it happen next? It's a sickening question but we live in a fucked up world.

19. It's good to see that you are open minded and interested in multiple sources of information. I think I misunderstood you at first. We are largely in agreement.

+rep

20. Mass shootings peaked in 1929, and tend to rise and fall with the homicide rate. However as Providence showed, it's been falling for a couple of decades now.

And also copycat criminals are very common nowadays. I'm sure this is a reason why there has been a "spike" of mass-shootings in the past 1 or 2 years.

Not sure why I posted this. Seems like the issue has been solved.