Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

New MMJ laws in maine?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by DoctorDank, Mar 1, 2010.

1. #1 DoctorDank, Mar 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2010
    I am trying to find what new medical conditions are now allowed in Maine since the new marijuana bill passed so if anyone could point me in the right direction that'd be appreciated. Thanks!

2. #2 AmpdUpBeast, Mar 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2010
    I live in maine and was following the marijuana law and changes. I know for a fact that I think it was 240 days after the law was passed there aloud to open MMJ selling shops to people with MMJ cards. I'll try to find the link for you and If I do I'll post it for you.

EDIT: The ballot was called "Question 5" and heres a link of when it was going on. I'm still trying to find the link to a site that had a few pages all about the new changes in full detail. http://mainecampus.com/2009/10/19/question-5-would-create-system-to-distribute-medical-marijuana/

3. Thanks for posting up the link but I was looking for something that goes over specifically all the new conditions allowed in Maine under the new bill. Thanks!

4. I think all the bill did was allow marijuana dispensaries for people with medical marijuana cards

5. #5 me8980109, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2010

I am in the process of setting up a dispensary, for the record Maine law does not allow you to open any shop selling to MMJ after any time period. You can only sell after being accepted by the state, pay a $5,000 annual registration fee, form a non-profit, form a board of directors, and have a secure grow facility. As a non-profit you DO NOT OWN YOUR BUSINESS.

The state has yet to even discuss the Task Force recommendations in the legislature yet. The law went into effect on Feb 20th, but provisions for patient, caregiver, and dispensary owner ID cards have yet to be worked out. They have 120 days starting Feb 20th to get this done, if they are not accepting applications from patients after 140 days a notarized copy of your paperwork becomes a valid registration card but you will NOT be able to purchase at a dispensary with that. The only way you can purchase at a dispensary is to be in the registry system, elect a particular caregiver or dispensary, and than purchase from them. Making that election prohibites you from growing your own.

People may want to think twice about getting a card. If you get a card, you will become subject to an inspection by DHHS with 24-hours advance warning UNLESS they suspect you of illegal activity. Read that. This was not in the original bill but was agreed upon by the Task Force after being recommended by Attorney General Mills. There is a seperate piece of legislation that Representative Haskell from the Portland area is introducing that will restrict all growing within the state to one facility run by the Department of Agriculture. Patients, caregivers, and dispensaries would purchase meds from them. It has some support from a number of different groups. Whats unique is that even patients that wish to grow their own would have to purchase nursery stock from the Department of Agriculture, plants would be tagged and tages would expire. When police find grow ops they would know if they are legal or not quickly.

The conditions that qualify;

Under the new law, a physician may recommend marijuana for the treatment of:
    cancer, glaucoma, HIV, AIDS, hepatitis C, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig's disease),
    Crohn s disease, agitation of Alzheimer s disease, nail-patella syndrome, seizure disorders including epilepsy, conditions marked by severe and persistent muscle spasms such as multiple sclerosis, conditions marked by severe nausea or by a wasting syndrome, chronic conditions causing intractable pain that does not respond to other treatments after six months

If your looking for a physician, check with Dustin Sulak D.O. in Hallowell, Maine. He has a
    website, just his name without any spaces and a .com at the end (not sure if we can link here). He is one of two that make recommendations. Just remember this, I have been seeing him and they are aware that some patients simply want a card, even though they may meet the medical condition requirement. They may give you the paperwork, but they will want to continue to see you every 6-8 weeks and it most likely is not covered by insurance, he doesn't deal with the billing.

He will provide you with a "super bill" which you can submit and maybe your insurance covers it and maybe they don't. It will not say anything about why you were there except something to do with your actual condition. His rates just went way up! Five moths ago he charged $100 for the first vist and $80 after that, than $125 & $100, now it is $300 and $125. Business may be picking up, I recently had to reschedule and he was booking out 6-8 weeks. :) So being a patient does come at a price, $300 up front, and $125 every 6-8 weeks. You stop going and they have the right to notify the state and have your card/paperwork revoked.

Rememebr, having a card will afford you protection under the law from arrest and seizure if you are playing within the limits. Without a card but with a doctors note you are still protected but could have your meds seized, be arrested, but ultimately if within the law charges have to be dropped. But there is no provision to give back any material or meds seized. :mad:

Hope this was helpful!

-mark