New Micro Grow Cabinet :D (I need advice)

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by MrBudget, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Ok, so I picked up an old mini fridge for $5 today. I hollowed out the back, removed the thermostat, freezer bay, ect, ect!

My issue now is two fold:

Where and how should I mount the exhaust fan? Theres only one hole and I was planning on using it as a wire route. I contemplated drilling several holes through the back, and just mounting a fan over the new holes. (Smaller holes along the bottom for the intake)

Secondly, should I mount the cfl lights? If I mount it on the wire rack I could raise and lower it as the plant grows - and not touch the plant. Alternativly if I mount it on the plastic rack above, then I could make a perfectly fitting SCROG out of the wire rack. :S

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. You want to make the intake on the lowest part, and the exhaust as high as possible. Is the back of the fridge made with metal? Maybe you can make a modular light socket with magnets.

3. #3 MrBudget, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2015
    I already thought of that and unfortunatly the inside is indeed not magnetic.. :/ I could try a magnet on each side, but the back is pretty thick..

Hmn.. well I understood where to put the fan, its the HOW thats tripping me up.. should I go ahead and punch holes? Or funnel the air out through that whole in the uper right?

4. In my opinion, jump on eBay and pickup 130w cfl grow lights or led's and hang them so you can ajust them, or make a hanging mount for the lights, drill your holes for intake and outtake fans, I'm doing the same thing soon hopefully

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

5. The hole in the upper right is too small for your exhaust. For my pc grow I used 2x 120mm exhaust, so you need to make that hole bigger.

6. Ok, so I need to widen that upper hole for the exhaust fan. Thank you! :)

Do you see the shelf like bump in the bottom back? Behind it is a hollow section that leads out to the back of the fridge. Do you think drilling a hole ever 2 inches along it would work great for a passive intake? :)

Yes sounds like a good idea! You can better make the exhaust a little bit bigger than your intake, and also only use active ventilation on the exhaust and make the intake passive. This way you will create a negative air pressure so you will never leak any air/odor  :D

8. Perfect! :D I bought soke white bug screen mesh aswell to cover the holes to keep pests out! Here we have fiddle back spiders that badically migrate twords moisture. . Their venom rots flesh. I was but in the neck by one as a child and survived, but itvwas a painfull hell of a fright! XD

9. #9 MrBudget, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2015
    I think I've figured out a solution to my fan placement problem! What if, and bear with me for a moment - what if I drill two 2 inch holes on the top of that shelf, install pvc pipes leading from the holes to almost the top of the box.. then mount 2 fans at the openings? Kindof suck the hot air down and out through the pipes?

I cant drill through the back because its solid metal, not sheet metal like I had first thought. :/