New method to keep deer away

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by hootskers420, May 7, 2008.

1. Talked to my buddy today whose an avid hunter, and he told me a trick that his dads been using for 20 years, its kind of gruesome but extremely effective. He places a few dead mice, squirrels, chipmunks, anything he can shoot with a 22 in a perimeter around his grow sites. The scent of the dead animals deters deer (herbivores) because they know that the smell will attract wolves, foxes, and bears (carnivores). They will not go anywhere near the smell of a dead animal corpse in fear of encountering a predator. He said hes tried peeing around the site, hair, nets, store bought sprays, and nothing works nearly as well as the smell of rotting animal flesh. Of course it will rot like hell around your grow site, but you wont have to worry about any deer, rabbits, or any herbivore that may want to make a snack of your crop.

2. Hmmm, good advice, makes sense. I'll have to use that.

3. well that sounds like a good idea lol i think i should try that wit some of these damn mice in my shed! lol they live in my lawnmower :(

4. what if i get eaten by a bear?

5. Wow good idea.....but how am i gonna get dead animals besides shootin them i got neighbors?? Hey what if i bought a bunch of cheap steaks and hung them in trees with fishing line or something LOL??? Maybe thats an idea cuz it would rot and be rotting animal flesh smelling. Maybe even jus put them on the ground...i dono...what you all think?

6. I have another way.
    [​IMG]

7. haha, +rep

8. I was thinking about getting some little feeder mice from the pet store, they cant be too expensive. Either that or road kill.

9. Hahaha, valid question indeed... ;)

:laughing:
    Oh the awesomeness...
    How I wish I didn't have to spread rep around. :smoke:

10. All you need is mothballs. Besides the corpses will not last all season and gunshots are not exactly stealthy.

11. Ive tried mothballs, they dont work. Besides, you dont necessarily have to shoot the animals. Just find dead ones or buy cheap ones and kill them.

12. what about cheap steaks?!?! same thing aint it:)

13. just pee around area:eek:

14. Doesnt really work either :eek: Also, as I said, this is a new method, everyone has already heard that one.

15. Besides, you dont necessarily have to shoot the animals. Just find dead ones or buy cheap ones and kill them.

Oh yeah, that is much better.

I wonder what the karmic effects of killing animals to harvest their stench might be?

Anywho, I could name a myriad of practical ways to keep deer from eating cannabis, none of which cause the death of several other wild animals. Animals, I might add, that contribute in known and unknown ways to the ecosystem that provides the medium you borrow to grow in.

Besides, any idgit knows stinking carcases do more than attract carnivores. They also attract possums, rats, raccoons,....scavengers. Scavengers that will find cannabis to be a nice desert item.

Bad idea on so many levels.

16. Id be worried about the raccoons too.

17. x2, ++rep.

TiCkEr

18. Possums, rats, and raccoons are of no danger to anyones crop. They are scavangers as you said, they eat roadkill and trash, fruits and vegetables, not green vegetation. As far as cruelty to animals, I live in rural Michigan man, we kill everything thats not protected by law up here, and if I can kill something to use it to protect my crop, Im all about it. Bottom line is, this isnt something I just thought up, this has been used for decades by growers with far more experiance than any of us...it works.

19. Is anyone here farmiliar with an organic additive for soil called Milorganite?? Someone I know has a lot of deer come into his property and stomp on his wife's garden. He uses this stuff and has not seen a deer since. This has been many many years now.

I told a grower friend of mine and he started using it. After use he has not seen one deer since. Sometimes after a very heavy rain he has to re-lay it (it is like a fertilizer), but it has been 100% effective for him this year.

PS. The active ingredient that us growers are looking for in Milorganite is human waste. I believe the human remains can be smelt by the deer in the soil and they regard it as a smell they are not willing to investigate. This human shit also contains high organic nitrogen, which good growers know is ideal for plants in their vegatative state. Killer combo.

Either way, I do not use it, but have a grower friend that swears by it. If you are strapped for cash, and putting up a fence is not an option (I use a fence), then Milorganite is probably right for you.